Jump to topic:

The Homosexiality Oreo...

Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:52:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So about that cookie...Regardless of whether or not you support homosexual rights, do you think the "Homosexuality Oreo" was a poor marketing move?

I agree 100.5% with homosexual rights and absolutely love the photo they put out of the cookie...But I tend to think it was a very bad move that will cause them a great loss in sales. Still, I guess I'm glad they took a stand for what's right.

What are your thoughts?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:58:41 AM
It was a poor move from a marketing standpoint, but I will fully support them from the waves or homophones attacking the idea.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:24:34 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:58:41 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
It was a poor move from a marketing standpoint, but I will fully support them from the waves or homophones attacking the idea.

I know right? "to," "too," and "two" are such bigoted words.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:25:37 AM
At 6/29/2012 1:24:34 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Damn iPhones.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:27:50 AM
At 6/29/2012 1:25:37 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/29/2012 1:24:34 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Damn iPhones.

I know the feeling. I turned autocorrect off on my ipod touch.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:16:20 AM
I'm confused... what on Earth is the homosexuality Oreo?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 9:17:00 AM
At 6/29/2012 2:16:20 AM, Oryus wrote:

Lmfaoooo, they made some multicolored oreo and people are being complete children about it.

I mean, honestly. This is the sort of shiit that embarrasses us in the eyes of other nations.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:01:05 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:52:00 AM, Jessalyn wrote:
So about that cookie...Regardless of whether or not you support homosexual rights, do you think the "Homosexuality Oreo" was a poor marketing move?

I agree 100.5% with homosexual rights and absolutely love the photo they put out of the cookie...But I tend to think it was a very bad move that will cause them a great loss in sales. Still, I guess I'm glad they took a stand for what's right.

What are your thoughts?

Actually, quite the opposite. I'm willing to bet that it was almost entirely a business move. It's probably been in the works since the Ellen/JCPenney thing. I'm assuming that they somehow calculated that they would, in the long run, gain more business from people purchasing Oreos to show their support than what they will lose from people boycotting the company. I don't know though, that could be totally wrong.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:17:55 AM
At 6/29/2012 10:01:05 AM, Rusty wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Actually, quite the opposite. I'm willing to bet that it was almost entirely a business move. It's probably been in the works since the Ellen/JCPenney thing. I'm assuming that they somehow calculated that they would, in the long run, gain more business from people purchasing Oreos to show their support than what they will lose from people boycotting the company. I don't know though, that could be totally wrong.

maybe they knew this would be a controversy, and people would keep posting the stuff on their facebook and DDO, to get advertisement out for oreos.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:49:08 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com...

They should have released an actual product. That way, all the Pro-gay marriage people could have it for support. And all the Anti-gay marriage people could have so they could feel like they were devouring the rights of others. Win-Win.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:59:05 AM
Sexuality of any kind should not be expressed in commercials.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:01:28 AM
At 6/29/2012 10:59:05 AM, 16kadams wrote:

#1 rule of advertising - Sex Sells.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:31:39 PM

Hello, 17th Century!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:59:23 PM

Never heard of "sex sells"?

As long as it's not degrading/objectifying anybody in any way, I'm fine with it.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 3:54:44 PM
At 6/29/2012 9:17:00 AM, Ren wrote:
At 6/29/2012 2:16:20 AM, Oryus wrote:

Lmfaoooo, they made some multicolored oreo and people are being complete children about it.

I mean, honestly. This is the sort of shiit that embarrasses us in the eyes of other nations.

But... but a rainbow cookie makes me think of P in B and that makes me feel icky and stuff :(
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 3:56:23 PM
At 6/29/2012 3:54:15 PM, Wnope wrote:
Horrible marketing idea.

Actually, it's brilliant. There's so much support/controversy that Oreo is getting free advertising on FB. In a month or two, people will have forgotten about this incident but will remember seeing Oreo ads everywhere.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 9:29:14 PM
At 6/29/2012 2:59:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

As long as it's not degrading/objectifying anybody in any way, I'm fine with it.

I think saying "hi, I am the f@g Oreo" is not beneficial for anyone.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 9:30:28 PM
At 6/29/2012 3:56:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Horrible marketing idea.

Actually, it's brilliant. There's so much support/controversy that Oreo is getting free advertising on FB. In a month or two, people will have forgotten about this incident but will remember seeing Oreo ads everywhere.

Less then 3% of the population is gay, so I don't think it appeals well outside of that range.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 9:33:40 PM
At 6/29/2012 9:29:14 PM, 16kadams wrote:

More expressions of your hate. How marvelous.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 9:37:20 PM

There are no products. The is only sex.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:14:19 PM
At 6/29/2012 9:30:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/29/2012 3:56:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Horrible marketing idea.

Less then 3% of the population is gay, so I don't think it appeals well outside of that range.

Actually, not everyone hates gay people like you do, 16k. So yeah, it appeals to millions of people.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:17:18 PM

And I suppose that the hidden message behind every ad with a black person is "hi, I am the n***** product", right? It comes off that way to you only because you are hateful. Get a grip.
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:02:47 PM

Of course you'd think having rainbow colors instantly is implying that it is gay. It is supporting of gay rights, not gay itself. There is a difference.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:18:43 PM
At 6/29/2012 10:17:55 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/29/2012 10:01:05 AM, Rusty wrote:

What are your thoughts?

maybe they knew this would be a controversy, and people would keep posting the stuff on their facebook and DDO, to get advertisement out for oreos.

Pretty much this.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:20:41 PM
At 6/29/2012 10:17:18 PM, Oryus wrote:

And I suppose that the hidden message behind every ad with a black person is "hi, I am the n***** product", right? It comes off that way to you only because you are hateful. Get a grip.

And the hidden message behind every ad with a woman is "hi, I'm a kitchen product."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:25:42 PM
At 6/29/2012 2:31:39 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Hello, 17th Century!

Oh, so you do favor government regulation in commercials? PWNED!

But seriously, conservatives like you are somewhat like this. Either, they do try to keep their social conservative rhetoric true and support radio regulation to make the airwaves more moral, or you conservatives vote for the "free market" and also oppose regulating the airwaves, and thus contradicting the social views that you guys hold about the liberal media corrupting our children, by not regulating the "liberal media" when you have the brightest opportunity to do so.

Either way, it is a liberal, Progressive win.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:51:56 PM
At 6/29/2012 11:20:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/29/2012 10:17:18 PM, Oryus wrote:

And the hidden message behind every ad with a woman is "hi, I'm a kitchen product."

LMAO
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 3:31:10 AM
Man. People are so fvcking stupid. They posted a rainbow cookie and said they supported gays. HOW THE FVCK DOES THKS CAUSE MORE CONTROVERSY THAN THE FIRST SITTING U.S PRESIDENT SHOWING SUPPORT FOR GAY MARRIAGE?!?! Why do you even care? They make cookies! Delicious cookies but still! I don't even think they expected the controversy, I sure didn't. This is dumb. Next we'll be asking Pepsico what they think about immigration reform.
#BlackLivesMatter