Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2009 5:33:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Since coming to DDO, I have had several debates, and engaged in numerous thread discussions in the forums.

Sometimes (perhaps frequently) in my comments, I say ridiculously arrogant things, or just plain silly, nonsensical, statements. I don't use emo-icons. And people take me seriously. It has happened several times now. It was funny reading the reactions at first, but now I feel really bad about it. What's worse, I seem to have thoroughly convinced Nags that I am an arrogant, intolerant idiot who thinks he's always right. (I'm sorry again, buddy. I was only messing around.)

It happens in real life as well. People who don't know me well get the impression that I some sort of extreme narcissist. My family, however, understands when I'm joking.

Because of this, I have decided that from now onward I will always either speak plainly without joking, or specifically tell someone when I'm joking. Hopefully this won't happen again...

To get to the point, has something like this happened to anyone else, or am I the only one here who has felt this type of pain?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2009 8:13:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's obviously more difficult to distinguish someone's intentions on the internet. I think most of us go into any online conversation expecting sarcasm, though this may be diminished a bit on a site like DDO.

I used to have this problem in person, too. I toned it down until college, at which point I found cleverer friends =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde