Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Rating Skills and Expertise

Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:52:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This will be a forum that might need some consideration (perhaps from yourselves) that may not necessarily be cast in the most appropriate manner or the most efficient.

Based on a criteria of the types of debates on the site alone, I'd like you to simply appraise, from a scale of one to ten, your skill, capacity, and perhaps even potential (if you'd like register such a factor into your ratings). Note that the criteria is NOT to be intended as a general mark to be placed on a member, nor can it represent the most efficient standard in consideration. The standards for imposing such a numerical value...are subjective, and I cannot contrive any objective standard or give descriptions to each tier (10=XXXX or 7=XXXX).

The ratings are done by yourselves, and are to be at least be done with a shred of honesty and integrity, remote from any personal prejudices that may compel you to do otherwise.:)

So, here's the list. (Topic/type of debate)-(Assessment in numerical scale)
Arts-
Economics-
Education-
Entertainment-
Health-
Miscellaneous- (you can split this into numerous sections..if possible, given your debate trek)
News-
Philosophy-
Politics-
Religion-
Science-
Society-
Sports-
Technology-

Art-
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

Don't really debate on many other topics.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:47:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Economics- 10
Politics- 9
Philosophy- 7
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:51:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Arts- 8 given my music debates..
Economics- 10 I eat Keynesians for breakfast, I should debate more economics
Miscellaneous- 8 random/funny debates
Philosophy- 6 The only thing worse than a philosophical debate is its judging
Politics- 10 I will intellectually eviscerate anyone in a presidential debate
Religion- 7 arguing with the deluded isn't fun
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

Don't really debate on many other topics.

You modest fvcker!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 3:17:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:52:58 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Miscellaneous-6/10
Religion-6 or 5.5/10
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 1:45:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Bump.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:17:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Let me preface this by saying that I'm taking '5' to be the average, intelligent active member on this website and that I'm restricting my answer based on my activities on this website, not my sum knowledge total. Furthermore, this is totally subjective. If people are giving themselves 10s they really are being a touch ridiculous though I will say.

Economics- 6.5
Education- 8.5
Philosophy- 6
Politics- 6
Religion- 5
Science- 4
Society- 5

The above is not to state that I don't hold nuanced views which I believe refute attacks of people who might score higher in various areas. The problem with this rating is that it fails to measure cross-area expertise and such, like the ability to evaluate what truly matters given various facts presented. For instance, for my formal philosophical knowledge is a bit limited, yet my ability to apply it is quite extensive.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Entertainment - 8

That's literally the only subject I debate and even then I'm not a 10.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:25:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Entertainment - 8

That's literally the only subject I debate and even then I'm not a 10.

You're too modest - you're definitely a 9.5 in entertainment, if not a 10.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:52:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 3:25:53 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Entertainment - 8

That's literally the only subject I debate and even then I'm not a 10.

You're too modest - you're definitely a 9.5 in entertainment, if not a 10.

I see my plan worked perfectly.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 1:58:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Once again, I'll have to bump.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
You can eviscerate "anybody", eh?
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Tell me that after debating InquireTruth or PCP.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Tell me that after debating InquireTruth or PCP.

Well, there's InquireTruth and PCP as generally among the greatest proponents of the Christian faith with Contradiction, ReformedArsenal, KeyTarHero, KBRFournier, Mestari, all on different tiers but nevertheless formidable enough to present a challenge....so....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:07:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Tell me that after debating InquireTruth or PCP.

Well, there's InquireTruth and PCP as generally among the greatest proponents of the Christian faith with Contradiction, ReformedArsenal, KeyTarHero, KBRFournier, Mestari, all on different tiers but nevertheless formidable enough to present a challenge....so....

Well yeah all the people you mentioned are formidable debaters. But PCP and InquireTruth are the two best IMO.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:09:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Economics - 7
Politics - 8.5

I haven't done many economics debates. And in politics, I believe that I'm getting better, and I believe in fair markets with personal liberty as well as social justice, but I am ultimately a centrist when it comes down to economics. With experience though, I get better.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:11:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 8:07:42 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Tell me that after debating InquireTruth or PCP.

Well, there's InquireTruth and PCP as generally among the greatest proponents of the Christian faith with Contradiction, ReformedArsenal, KeyTarHero, KBRFournier, Mestari, all on different tiers but nevertheless formidable enough to present a challenge....so....

Well yeah all the people you mentioned are formidable debaters. But PCP and InquireTruth are the two best IMO.

Sure. I never questioned that opinion.:)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:06:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
You can eviscerate "anybody", eh?
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Yes, in fact I can (: Is that a challenge?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:08:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:06:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
You can eviscerate "anybody", eh?
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

Yes, in fact I can (: Is that a challenge?
It would be a challenge if it were not for the time constraints and the fact that I only debate with knowledge at my disposal.

But I wonder, how do you know??
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

But nevertheless, that debate is actually reserved for another member.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

But nevertheless, that debate is actually reserved for another member.

And note that I was not trying to disparage you, but indicate why I originally responded to your post. I'll respect your expertise now.:-)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:29:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

But nevertheless, that debate is actually reserved for another member.

And note that I was not trying to disparage you, but indicate why I originally responded to your post. I'll respect your expertise now.:-)

That's fine, if you ever want to debate something more recent let me know (:
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:30:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 9:29:30 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

But nevertheless, that debate is actually reserved for another member.

And note that I was not trying to disparage you, but indicate why I originally responded to your post. I'll respect your expertise now.:-)

That's fine, if you ever want to debate something more recent let me know (:

Okay. I will let you know. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:06:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

Don't really debate on many other topics.

You modest fvcker!

http://www.myfacewhen.com...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 12:27:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/17/2012 11:06:06 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

Don't really debate on many other topics.

You modest fvcker!

http://www.myfacewhen.com...

LOL
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...