Jump to topic:

Rating Skills and Expertise

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:52:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This will be a forum that might need some consideration (perhaps from yourselves) that may not necessarily be cast in the most appropriate manner or the most efficient.

Based on a criteria of the types of debates on the site alone, I'd like you to simply appraise, from a scale of one to ten, your skill, capacity, and perhaps even potential (if you'd like register such a factor into your ratings). Note that the criteria is NOT to be intended as a general mark to be placed on a member, nor can it represent the most efficient standard in consideration. The standards for imposing such a numerical value...are subjective, and I cannot contrive any objective standard or give descriptions to each tier (10=XXXX or 7=XXXX).

The ratings are done by yourselves, and are to be at least be done with a shred of honesty and integrity, remote from any personal prejudices that may compel you to do otherwise.:)

So, here's the list. (Topic/type of debate)-(Assessment in numerical scale)
Arts-
Economics-
Education-
Entertainment-
Health-
Miscellaneous- (you can split this into numerous sections..if possible, given your debate trek)
News-
Philosophy-
Politics-
Religion-
Science-
Society-
Sports-
Technology-

Art-
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

Don't really debate on many other topics.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:47:45 PM
Economics- 10
Politics- 9
Philosophy- 7
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:51:36 AM
Arts- 8 given my music debates..
Economics- 10 I eat Keynesians for breakfast, I should debate more economics
Miscellaneous- 8 random/funny debates
Philosophy- 6 The only thing worse than a philosophical debate is its judging
Politics- 10 I will intellectually eviscerate anyone in a presidential debate
Religion- 7 arguing with the deluded isn't fun
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM
At 7/14/2012 10:15:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

You modest fvcker!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 3:17:32 AM
At 7/14/2012 9:52:58 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Miscellaneous-6/10
Religion-6 or 5.5/10

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 1:45:07 AM
Bump.

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:17:52 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I'm taking '5' to be the average, intelligent active member on this website and that I'm restricting my answer based on my activities on this website, not my sum knowledge total. Furthermore, this is totally subjective. If people are giving themselves 10s they really are being a touch ridiculous though I will say.

Economics- 6.5
Education- 8.5
Philosophy- 6
Politics- 6
Religion- 5
Science- 4
Society- 5

The above is not to state that I don't hold nuanced views which I believe refute attacks of people who might score higher in various areas. The problem with this rating is that it fails to measure cross-area expertise and such, like the ability to evaluate what truly matters given various facts presented. For instance, for my formal philosophical knowledge is a bit limited, yet my ability to apply it is quite extensive.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM
Entertainment - 8

That's literally the only subject I debate and even then I'm not a 10.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:25:53 AM
At 7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Entertainment - 8

You're too modest - you're definitely a 9.5 in entertainment, if not a 10.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:52:39 AM
At 7/16/2012 3:25:53 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 7/16/2012 2:49:35 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Entertainment - 8

You're too modest - you're definitely a 9.5 in entertainment, if not a 10.

I see my plan worked perfectly.
- lamerde

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 1:58:37 PM
Once again, I'll have to bump.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM
At 7/17/2012 5:37:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Politics-8 I argue for social justice, but sometimes it is hard to take such a stance while making it clear that I also value personal liberty.
History-10+ I can eviscerate anybody on any historical topic 1900-present, especially regarding armed conflict and imperialism.
You can eviscerate "anybody", eh?
Religion-8 As easy as it is to poke holes in theistic arguments, such debates often attract stubborn people and can easily become exhausting.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM

Tell me that after debating InquireTruth or PCP.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM
At 7/17/2012 7:57:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Well, there's InquireTruth and PCP as generally among the greatest proponents of the Christian faith with Contradiction, ReformedArsenal, KeyTarHero, KBRFournier, Mestari, all on different tiers but nevertheless formidable enough to present a challenge....so....

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:07:42 PM
At 7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Well, there's InquireTruth and PCP as generally among the greatest proponents of the Christian faith with Contradiction, ReformedArsenal, KeyTarHero, KBRFournier, Mestari, all on different tiers but nevertheless formidable enough to present a challenge....so....

Well yeah all the people you mentioned are formidable debaters. But PCP and InquireTruth are the two best IMO.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:09:35 PM
Economics - 7
Politics - 8.5

I haven't done many economics debates. And in politics, I believe that I'm getting better, and I believe in fair markets with personal liberty as well as social justice, but I am ultimately a centrist when it comes down to economics. With experience though, I get better.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 8:11:07 PM
At 7/17/2012 8:07:42 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 8:02:52 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Well yeah all the people you mentioned are formidable debaters. But PCP and InquireTruth are the two best IMO.

Sure. I never questioned that opinion.:)

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:06:08 PM
At 7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes, in fact I can (: Is that a challenge?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:08:09 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:06:08 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 7:37:47 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yes, in fact I can (: Is that a challenge?
It would be a challenge if it were not for the time constraints and the fact that I only debate with knowledge at my disposal.

But I wonder, how do you know??

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:14:51 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
If you are willing to accept a debate on the Enlightenment, then we can debate.:-)

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:19:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

The reason why I'm so confident is that my area of expertise is fairly narrow. Like I said, anything after, say, the Spanish-American war (1890s) would be my area of expertise. Outside of that timeframe, I really wouldn't make for a challenging opponent. However anything within the past 120 years I'd be more than happy to debate.

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

But nevertheless, that debate is actually reserved for another member.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:23:50 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ah, I see. I suppose that may prove a bit of justification and not sheer arrogance as a result of some vainglory. :-)

And note that I was not trying to disparage you, but indicate why I originally responded to your post. I'll respect your expertise now.:-)

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:29:30 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

And note that I was not trying to disparage you, but indicate why I originally responded to your post. I'll respect your expertise now.:-)

That's fine, if you ever want to debate something more recent let me know (:

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:30:08 PM
At 7/17/2012 9:29:30 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:26:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

That's fine, if you ever want to debate something more recent let me know (:

Okay. I will let you know. :)

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:06:06 PM
At 7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

You modest fvcker!

http://www.myfacewhen.com...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 12:27:49 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:06:06 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/15/2012 1:52:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Philosophy- 7
Religion- 6

You modest fvcker!

http://www.myfacewhen.com...

LOL
- lamerde