Jump to topic:

Why are graduations so boring?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 12:49:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm all for the pomp and circumstance and honoring the graduates,...but must it be so long and dry?

The orchestra/chorus should play something other than graduation music. They should sell snacks. Anyone with a speech over 10 minutes should be booed off stage at once!
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:07:51 PM
At 7/15/2012 12:49:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm all for the pomp and circumstance and honoring the graduates,...but must it be so long and dry?

The orchestra/chorus should play something other than graduation music. They should sell snacks. Anyone with a speech over 10 minutes should be booed off stage at once!

10 minutes? Really? My speech was barely 5 minutes, and they told me to shorten it down despite being the English Valedictorian.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 1:16:04 PM
At 7/15/2012 1:07:51 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/15/2012 12:49:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

10 minutes? Really? My speech was barely 5 minutes, and they told me to shorten it down despite being the English Valedictorian.

I'm talking about the college graduations where they get some alumnus to speak for an hour. Those suck
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:28:44 PM
I actually really enjoyed my university graduation. The speeches were not very long, and our guest speaker was touching, inspiring, and funny. Since my name starts with A, I got a lot of applause :p I did my best to clap for every single person. But I think holding applause until the end is better, in terms of the ceremony going by faster.
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:33:09 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:28:44 PM, tulle wrote:
I actually really enjoyed my university graduation. The speeches were not very long, and our guest speaker was touching, inspiring, and funny. Since my name starts with A, I got a lot of applause :p I did my best to clap for every single person. But I think holding applause until the end is better, in terms of the ceremony going by faster.

I remember the chemical engineering graduates were the last of the engineering graduates to get their diploamas. I was the 2nd to last to get it. Pretty much nobody cared at that point and most people were packing up and leaving. Didn't even get a chance to get a group picture with the other nuclear minors :(.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:38:57 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:33:09 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I remember the chemical engineering graduates were the last of the engineering graduates to get their diploamas. I was the 2nd to last to get it. Pretty much nobody cared at that point and most people were packing up and leaving. Didn't even get a chance to get a group picture with the other nuclear minors :(.

Omg Aww lol that sucks. But your last name starts with E? There were very few people before me. Like 15 Masters and 6 PhDs. Then my program was next and I was near the beginning.
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:41:43 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:38:57 PM, tulle wrote:
At 7/15/2012 11:33:09 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Omg Aww lol that sucks. But your last name starts with E? There were very few people before me. Like 15 Masters and 6 PhDs. Then my program was next and I was near the beginning.

It wasn't alphabetical. The engineering school split it up based on major on who went first. I believe it was mechanical engineers first.
Open borders debate:
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:44:45 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:41:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:

It wasn't alphabetical. The engineering school split it up based on major on who went first. I believe it was mechanical engineers first.

But within your major it was alphabetical and you were still second last? Wow. Your classes must have been extremely small :/
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 11:47:21 PM
At 7/15/2012 11:44:45 PM, tulle wrote:
At 7/15/2012 11:41:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:

But within your major it was alphabetical and you were still second last? Wow. Your classes must have been extremely small :/

Wasn't even alphabetical by major. They just called you up when you handed them a card.Our graduation didn't give out our diploma so you just go a thing that looked like a diploma but just had a generic message that your diploma will arrive later in the summer.
Open borders debate:
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 12:08:17 AM
At 7/15/2012 11:47:21 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Wasn't even alphabetical by major. They just called you up when you handed them a card.Our graduation didn't give out our diploma so you just go a thing that looked like a diploma but just had a generic message that your diploma will arrive later in the summer.

lol Oh.
yang.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 2:52:28 AM
I totally agree, Ike. I went to my cousin's graduation last month and it lasted 2 and a half hours! A middle school graduation for 40 kids lasted 2 and a half hours! There were 3 poetry readings. The hell?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...