Jump to topic:

The Prophecy of the Fool

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 1:17:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It disturbs me how The Fool acts like this Fool.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 1:47:09 AM
I always thought it was about the Maharishi (the spiritual guru the Beatles spent some time studying under at some point). Wikipedia seems to support this. It says,

McCartney said the song relates to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi:
"'Fool on the Hill' was mine and I think I was writing about someone like Maharishi. His detractors called him a fool. Because of his giggle he wasn't taken too seriously ... I was sitting at the piano at my father's house in Liverpool hitting a D 6th chord, and I made up 'Fool on the Hill.'"

To me, the most interesting line has always been, "they can tell what he wants to do." It's like... what does he want to do, and what makes it so obvious to everyone? And then I imagine the Maharishi wiggling his fingers perversely while approaching me with a menacing, molestatory expression.
--But that's probably because of all the drugs.

Anyway, the song is about the M-man, and how he wasn't taken seriously by people, but was secretly wise.

http://www.songmeanings.net...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:19:02 PM
The Fool: That is what I do every morning. Get a good run.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:19:41 PM
At 7/19/2012 1:48:08 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I see the expression at 1:37

The Fool: I was born with that expression. ;(
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 12:23:41 PM
The Fool: If we just yank cigerette away, then we get, Murder, murder, bloody murder. slowly."

Typo. ;)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 2:53:19 PM
At 7/19/2012 12:23:41 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: If we just yank cigerette away, then we get, Murder, murder, bloody murder. slowly."

Typo. ;)

I better watch the context of when I am being humorous.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 6:39:56 PM
At 7/19/2012 1:17:34 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

The Fool: As much as I appreciate that you enjoy my humour, I can't help but notice that you didn't lable the authors of you other signitures. I would not wan't someone to think I am funnier then I really am. ;)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 10:54:31 PM
At 7/19/2012 6:39:56 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: As much as I appreciate that you enjoy my humour, I can't help but notice that you didn't lable the authors of you other signitures. I would not wan't someone to think I am funnier then I really am. ;)

Fixed :D
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 6:11:30 AM
At 7/19/2012 10:54:31 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

The Fool: I was referring to second, in all my humbleness.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 7:30:04 PM
At 7/20/2012 6:11:30 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

I only have two quotes...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 9:42:25 PM
At 7/20/2012 7:30:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/20/2012 6:11:30 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

I only have two quotes...

The Fool:

I shot the Sheriff:
"The Fool: If we jsut yank cigerette away, then we get, Murder, murder, bloody murder. slowly."

But I did not shot the deputy:
" I chose to serve this forum so fvck off. Yes, what I did was service to this forum, a forum that hundreds of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Politics or Society you fvcker.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 9:53:46 PM
This(
" I chose to serve this forum so fvck off. Yes, what I did was service to this forum, a forum that hundreds of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Politics or Society you fvcker.

Thats not very introverted of you.
Real introverts go home and put them on a hit list."
- Cermank and Johnnyboy)
Is all one quote.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush