Jump to topic:

Swearing/Cussing

jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:11:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anybody hate swearing or not like it? I personally love it and i'm never offended by it. What's your favourite swear/cuss?
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:26:45 PM
Cuntboob.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:39:51 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:33:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
All condemned speech is speech I welcome.

: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:45:51 PM
I personally think that, at least in formal settings, not cursing brings about civil dialogue, you malevolent, wretched demon from the pits of Hades, who should be in writhing pain for all the rest of his life.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:51:37 PM
Swearing for emphasize frustration every once in a while is okay.

My problem is with the people that swear casually...as if their vocabularies are so limited that they need overused, offensive, blunt words to express themselves.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:02:00 PM
Studies show that when you swear while making a statement, people are more likely to believe you.

Swearing is also highly effective as a humor tool.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:04:09 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:51:37 PM, 000ike wrote:

My problem is with the people that swear casually...as if their vocabularies are so limited that they need overused, offensive, blunt words to express themselves.

"Swear" words are actually some of the most powerful, effective, and concise words ever.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:04:10 PM
I like swearing, but I see the power of not swearing when I'm trying to insult someone. To me, calling someone a moron is better than a fvckwit.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:09:41 PM
At 7/22/2012 8:04:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/22/2012 7:51:37 PM, 000ike wrote:

"Swear" words are actually some of the most powerful, effective, and concise words ever.

You're absolutely right...but I think you're referring to the 1st half of the post you quoted. Casual swearing has absolutely no power or effectiveness...overused words lose their bite.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:13:28 PM
At 7/22/2012 8:02:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Studies show that when you swear while making a statement, people are more likely to believe you.

I think studies also show that it can help relieve pain. If I remember, I think i've seen Stephen Fry do the study.

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:07:40 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:11:07 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Does anybody hate swearing or not like it? I personally love it and i'm never offended by it.

I like swearing, though i try not to use it all the time so it's still at least somewhat effective at it's purpose. It loses the emphasis if it's overused.
What's your favourite swear/cuss?

Fvck. A classic, and so versatile. :)
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:13:34 PM
At 7/22/2012 9:07:40 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Does anybody hate swearing or not like it? I personally love it and i'm never offended by it.

I like swearing, though i try not to use it all the time so it's still at least somewhat effective at it's purpose. It loses the emphasis if it's overused.
It's fun to swear at ur friends and other people.
Especially at horrible presidents.

B!tch
u can say it to a guy as well
using Son of a B!tch
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:13:51 PM
I've always really hated profanity outside of humor. I immediately judge perpetual swearers and I don't think any of my friends use profanity regularly. My family...that's a different story.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:33:53 PM
At 7/22/2012 9:13:34 PM, nerdykiller wrote:

That's true :) But the problem is that the friend you call an @sshole in normal conversation isn't going to take you quite as seriously when you honestly tell him he's acting like an @sshole.

B!tch
using Son of a B!tch
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:43:23 PM
At 7/22/2012 8:13:28 PM, jedipengiun wrote:

I think studies also show that it can help relieve pain. If I remember, I think i've seen Stephen Fry do the study.

Yes, that's true too.

There was a study I recall where there were two groups of people who had to keep their hands in cold water for as long as they could. One group couldn't swear and the other group was told to. The swearing group lasted much longer.

Also, when you step on a cat's tale, the scream it lets out is psychologically the same as swearing.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:49:54 PM
Does anybody hate swearing or not like it? I personally love it and i'm never offended by it. What's your favourite swear/cuss?

I hate it, but can't break myself of cursing. Almost did it once, and then came back worse than before. There are some times when it is definitely necessary, but it just makes you look like a d-bag in regular conversation.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:53:16 PM
lol, the last time I really swore a lot was when they shot the wolf at the end of Dances With Wolves.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:53:47 PM
These:

Also, a pretty interesting, and hilarious, development local to me: http://www.boston.com...
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:50:28 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:33:53 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

That's true :) But the problem is that the friend you call an @sshole in normal conversation isn't going to take you quite as seriously when you honestly tell him he's acting like an @sshole.

well.....
awwwwwwwwww

B!tch
using Son of a B!tch
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:12:11 AM
At 7/22/2012 11:50:28 PM, nerdykiller wrote:

well.....
awwwwwwwwww

The way i see it, only a true friend could call you an @sshole knowing you can tell whether he means it or not. Even so, you start to think of it as just something that person says after a while. Where as if they were like my grandma and never ever swore or anything even close to that, and then said "fudge", you'd know something was up. Words start to loose their taboo status after a while if you use them enough, and if the taboo is why it's so satisfying, that's really not a good thing imo.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 2:01:04 AM
At 7/23/2012 12:12:11 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 7/22/2012 11:50:28 PM, nerdykiller wrote:

well.....
awwwwwwwwww

The way i see it, only a true friend could call you an @sshole knowing you can tell whether he means it or not. Even so, you start to think of it as just something that person says after a while. Where as if they were like my grandma and never ever swore or anything even close to that, and then said "fudge", you'd know something was up. Words start to loose their taboo status after a while if you use them enough, and if the taboo is why it's so satisfying, that's really not a good thing imo.

I curse on daily bases so I think my friends can tell when I am serious. I agree, many of my friends just got used to my language and adapted to it.
D
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 2:12:31 AM
Strangely, I almost never curse despite knowing a lot of people that do. its just something I've never gotten into.

But I agree with Freedo. Cussing does make jokes funnier for whatever reason.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 3:45:09 AM
How the hell does swearing affect anything? Swear words are arbitrarily created words. I can make up the word GREEBOPLE and say it's the most offensive word in the world. Will you get a benefit from shouting it out???
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 5:45:42 AM
At 7/22/2012 10:43:23 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/22/2012 8:13:28 PM, jedipengiun wrote:

Yes, that's true too.

There was a study I recall where there were two groups of people who had to keep their hands in cold water for as long as they could. One group couldn't swear and the other group was told to. The swearing group lasted much longer.

Also, when you step on a cat's tale, the scream it lets out is psychologically the same as swearing.

That was the study I've seen stephen fry do. He lasted much longer swearing too.
Didn't know cats swear! :o Mind is blown.

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 4:11:16 PM
Swearing is uncivilized.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 5:00:01 PM
Yes,I've always wondered where swearing came from and who decided what words to use that became curses. Like another poster said why not GREBOBAL ( or close to that ) instead of arsehole??
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 5:17:00 PM
At 7/23/2012 5:00:01 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Yes,I've always wondered where swearing came from and who decided what words to use that became curses. Like another poster said why not GREBOBAL ( or close to that ) instead of arsehole??

I assume it's probably something like association. Arsehole conjures unpleasent images as do many other words. Words like fxck and the like tend to lose any meaning that they inititally had over time.

I'm no linguist, pure guess work on my part.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 7:53:19 PM
At 7/23/2012 4:11:16 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Swearing is uncivilized.

Go fvck yourself
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.