Jump to topic:

Application Essays

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 9:59:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Share one of your best college application essays! If you haven't applied to college yet or can't find yours, make one up. May the pretentious, thesaurasized essays flow like wine!

I spent a good while writing my NYU application essays, so I thought I'd share a good one with you instead of allowing it to fade away into the abyss of my Google Docs folder.

Short Answer: Why NYU?

NYU (Nyoo) first caught my eye about a year ago. She instantly enthralled me, set me on fire for her. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. My friends would question me, "Austen, why don't you ask her out?" "Well, it's not that simple," I'd reply. "She's quite particular and her parents are quite selective. She believes in chivalry, dedication, and strange as it may be, categorically evaluating suitors." However, I'm willing to go through her tests as she has gone through mine. I've written her love letters, demonstrated my interest in minute and grandiose ways, and subjected myself to her scrutiny. Her intelligence is astounding: on our first date she responded, "thank you," when I complemented her pulchritude and she indicated flaws in the categorical imperative en route to Rocco's Restaurant where she proceeded to order in Italian. Multiple intelligences aside, her charm and attractiveness are unparallelled. She is well respected and graciously admired universally. She is not without her flaws, however: NYU is a mild insomniac due to her raucous neighborhood, she sometimes appears scattered, and although worth every penny, she's not a cheap date. We mesh well in our individualism, quest for knowledge, and obstinate assertiveness. Since what one expects in a relationship with another one must first find in himself, NYU's attractiveness is merely an entrancing reflection of my own dreams and how it appeals as a desirable version of things familiar.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 10:14:03 PM
Interesting topic but I'm very protective over my application materials and tend to reuse variations of them relatively regularly.

In high school, my guidance counselor copied one of my essays and included it in my girlfriend's materials (she forgot hers) without our knowledge. Neither of us were accepted and he was later fired. Nice...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 11:32:11 PM
This is old and i don't feel like editing it:

Getting into college - Rant 1.)

While the western scientist may rationally perceive the idea of organism-environment (unity), he does not usually experience the connection. By cultural and social conditioning, his experience is generally perceived through sensual energies only. He often assumes that one "enters the world" at birth, but perhaps people are more like the buds on a tree, who's waiting to blossom into waking life.

Humans are not perfect beings. A belief in an All-powerful God should not point to a particular design, but the working system of evolution. Design is the sequence of DNA, we decipher it through shapes and space. Variations throughout life and its forms are never perfect, but always changing in an omnipresent perfection. Giving credit to an All-powerful god recognizes all living beings relying on basic ideas that allow complexity to emerge. If one does believe in a God that is all powerful, he must assume the design set forth is forever changing. One can never point to the perfect or highest level of design. Life's design is Simple and Elegant. Details are but on a meta level. When studying, one shall zoom into the 'system' rather than the 'design'.

Randomness of Evolution speaks of a more profound God than what might be traditionally understood. Evolution gives a notion of creating better and better things. But really, everything is perpetually at it's best and always has been. This is because of Evolution and the process of Natural Selection. All that matters is that the organism fits the environment, so as the environment changes certain traits will prevail. Humans have the idea that, perhaps one day we will evolve into something super-human with supernatural powers! But, nothing can occur that isn't already possible. Evolutionary success means natural selection. Traits that work better or are used more often survive over traits that don't.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
carpediem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 11:40:32 AM
At 8/3/2012 9:59:17 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Share one of your best college application essays! If you haven't applied to college yet or can't find yours, make one up. May the pretentious, thesaurasized essays flow like wine!

I spent a good while writing my NYU application essays, so I thought I'd share a good one with you instead of allowing it to fade away into the abyss of my Google Docs folder.

Short Answer: Why NYU?

NYU (Nyoo) first caught my eye about a year ago. She instantly enthralled me, set me on fire for her. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. My friends would question me, "Austen, why don't you ask her out?" "Well, it's not that simple," I'd reply. "She's quite particular and her parents are quite selective. She believes in chivalry, dedication, and strange as it may be, categorically evaluating suitors." However, I'm willing to go through her tests as she has gone through mine. I've written her love letters, demonstrated my interest in minute and grandiose ways, and subjected myself to her scrutiny. Her intelligence is astounding: on our first date she responded, "thank you," when I complemented her pulchritude and she indicated flaws in the categorical imperative en route to Rocco's Restaurant where she proceeded to order in Italian. Multiple intelligences aside, her charm and attractiveness are unparallelled. She is well respected and graciously admired universally. She is not without her flaws, however: NYU is a mild insomniac due to her raucous neighborhood, she sometimes appears scattered, and although worth every penny, she's not a cheap date. We mesh well in our individualism, quest for knowledge, and obstinate assertiveness. Since what one expects in a relationship with another one must first find in himself, NYU's attractiveness is merely an entrancing reflection of my own dreams and how it appeals as a desirable version of things familiar.

This is my favorite of your application essays.
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"