Jump to topic:

Virus Software!?!?

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:57:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So i got one of those "THERE ARE VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER HOLY JESUS" pop ups on the internet that are clearly scams, and scanned my computer with the microsoft malware scanner and it detected viruses -_- anyone know of any free AND effective software (or method) for removing these little twerps?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 4:33:52 AM
AVG. It's free!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:13:32 PM
At 8/4/2012 4:33:52 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
AVG. It's free!

It also provides a boot disk you can use to run a scan without having to boot into windows.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 2:49:52 PM
Comodo Internet Security is the best, I use it and it's free.

Normal antivirusses detect virusses based on a blacklist, so if a file is on it's blacklist, it will be detected. The problem with this is there are too many virusses to be blacklisted. Unidentified or unknown files will not be stopped.

Why Comodo is better: Comodo has a blacklist like other antivirusses, however Comodo also has a whitelist of good applications. Any unknown applications could be either good or bad, so the unknown applications are executed in a sandbox, which is kind of like a jail cell that prevents it from doing any damage. The file is then sent to Comodo labs to determine if it is good or not.

This way, you can still run that program, just in a limited condition from doing damage until the file is verified.

This way, you will be 100% virus free, because both the blacklisted and the unknown files will not harm your computer.

If you do not like Comodo, these are the next best:

AVG: A bit heavy on resources, still good. Not recommended on weaker computers because it is heavy. Very good protection however, not as complete as Comodo.

Avast: A bit heavy on resources, still good. Not recommended on weaker computers because it is heavy. More features than AVG, however protection is still not as good as Comodo.

Microsoft Security Essentials: Lightest, recommended for weaker computers. Very good protection, but not very many extra features.

Bottom line: Get Comodo, if not, then get one of the other three.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 2:52:31 PM
In addition to an antivirus software, an antimalware program is also important.
For an antimalware program, use:

Windows Defender(Included with Windows 7, in control panel, if you have XP you will have to download.
Malwarebytes
Iobit Malware Fighter
Anvi Smart Defender
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 2:54:22 PM
Summary: Layered security will protect your computer.

Layer 1: Antivirus - General security software
Layer 2: Antimalware - Focuses on stuff that antiviruses miss.
Layer 3: Firewall - Stops hackers, Windows already has a Windows Firewall so no need to worry about this one.
Wall of LOL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 3:03:16 PM
Spybot: S&D is awesome too.

Should I turn my firewall on?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 4:31:35 PM
At 8/4/2012 12:57:01 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
So i got one of those "THERE ARE VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER HOLY JESUS" pop ups on the internet that are clearly scams, and scanned my computer with the microsoft malware scanner and it detected viruses -_- anyone know of any free AND effective software (or method) for removing these little twerps?

A website can't scan your computer for viruses (not normally anyway). However, there are websites that do a very good job of convincing you that they have scanned your computer. Then, of course, they report a virus so you download whatever it is they want you to.

I would just install Linux on your computer instead of Windows. It's very unlikely that you will get a Linux virus but if you are paranoid, the best virus scanners for Linux are free.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 6:36:47 PM
Kaspersky
Bit Defender

Everything else is second-rate.

Bit defender is nice because it has a great 'autopilot' mode so you almost never have to 'allow' or 'block' things, if that's your cup of tea.

Kaspersky is awesome if you want something with the absolute best detection rates that exist.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 6:10:34 AM
I had one of these too.

You need to do the following:

1. Go to safe mode with Networking.

2. Download rtkill (I think that's what it's called).

3. Download and install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

4. Download and install an anti-virus software (I have Symantec, but that costs money. A good free one is Sophos).

5. Restart your computer in Normal Mode. Run the rtkill application first. It will generate a log with the virus files' locations while simultaneously killing the application. NOTE THAT THIS DOES NOT REMOVE THE VIRUS FROM YOUR SYSTEM; RTKILL ONLY STOPS IT FROM RUNNING TEMPORARILY. IF YOU REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM, THE VIRUS WILL RUN AGAIN.

6. Go to the locations in your C drive mentioned by rtkill's log, and manually delete the files.

7. Run MalwareBytes on a Full Scan. Delete everything it catches.

8. Run your other anti-virus on a Full Scan and delete everything it catches.

9. You might not be done yet. The virus that I had deleted my Firewall, Security Center, and Base Filtering Engine; I had not even noticed until months later. You need to download the registries for these items (do a Google Search), restore them, and reboot your computer. Make sure to download the correct registries. If your computer is 64 bit, the registries will be different than a 32 bit one.

10. If the virus still reappears in a few days or so, you have a deeper infection called a rootkit infection. In this case, you need to either reinstall Windows after backing up your important information or you need to find an anti-Rootkit software. Sophos and CCE work well.