Jump to topic:

Robert A. Heinlein

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 2:38:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Robert A. Heinlein would have made a great DDO member.

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

"I don't see how an article of clothing can be indecent. A person, yes."

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so."

"Never insult anyone by accident."

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority."

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

"The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship."

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. The only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick."

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards."

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives."

"Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again."

-Robert A. Heinlein
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 8:49:31 PM
At 8/15/2012 2:38:37 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Robert A. Heinlein would have made a great DDO member.

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."

Then there is no such thing of a competent and self-confident person.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

You are a slave to yourself.

"I don't see how an article of clothing can be indecent. A person, yes."

Retarded..

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so."

Hmm, so if someone get into power they are gonna use it how they want? wow.. I would have never thought!

"Never insult anyone by accident."

What?...

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

lol, trust me, I won't..

"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority."

Unless it's the only authority that matters (God)

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

Fart..

We're all controlled.

"The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship."

Oh yes.. all hail science and it's almighty reason! no one else uses reason but the scientific prophets!!.. f*ck off..

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."

What should any one care what makes sense to you.. so far you sound like a moron.

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. The only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick."

uh.. sure?

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards."

I take it someone dislikes writing somewhere? and uh.. nah.. i got nothin lol

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives."

True dat.

"Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again."

lol, I can't think of a time when temptation doesn't pass my way..

-Robert A. Heinlein
FAIL.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:13:51 PM
Heinlien is out of fashion as an author because e found so many ways to be politically incorrect in his provocations. He suggested that formal attire should have men in tuxedos and women naked, because that's how they each look best. He suggested that a suitable funeral tradition would be to make soup out of the deceased and share it among the mourners. He had an unending stream of such Heilienisms.

Not many of his social ideas stand up to scrutiny, but it's a challenge to figure out why. He is a genuinely original thinker. Heinlien's most noted novel is "Stranger in a Strange Land." It's worth reading.