Jump to topic:

Define the word LOVE?

Ashley17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:57:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
1) What does the word LOVE mean to you? Please think carefully about this question, make sure it's sincere and it comes from the inner you.

2) How does it feel like to be in love? If you haven't been in love, how do you think it'll feel like?
Ashley Bruneus
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:02:49 PM
At 9/8/2009 6:57:14 PM, Ashley17 wrote:
1) What does the word LOVE mean to you? Please think carefully about this question, make sure it's sincere and it comes from the inner you.

2) How does it feel like to be in love? If you haven't been in love, how do you think it'll feel like?

1) There is no such thing as love. Love is what someone thinks they feel towards another, but there is no such thing as love, it is merely a concept and a chemical reaction in the brain.

2) No one can ever be in love. Guys say that they are to get with a girl;)

I'm sorry if I come off rude. I do not understand physics at all.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:06:05 PM

It is a feeling, and I can't put it into words. It would be like trying to explain the feeling of warmth to someone whose only ever felt cold. I was a skeptic of love until I met my current girlfriend a few years ago, I thought it was just people overexaggerating how much they like someone. We were going out for a number of months before we said it, but when we did we couldn't stop saying it. It was an intense feeling, and it still is. For all I know, I've still not felt love on the same level as others, but like Holden says in Chasing Amy, "if this isn't the real deal, I don't think I could handle it if it came along."

It feels awesome. To have that love returned, twice as awesome. My girlfriend could do nothing to turn me off her (except things like cheat on me, break up with me, etc., but even these things would hurt, they would not remove the love).
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:06:36 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:02:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

1) There is no such thing as love. Love is what someone thinks they feel towards another, but there is no such thing as love, it is merely a concept and a chemical reaction in the brain.

What's physics got to do with the price of fish?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:08:21 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:06:05 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

It is a feeling, and I can't put it into words. It would be like trying to explain the feeling of warmth to someone whose only ever felt cold. I was a skeptic of love until I met my current girlfriend a few years ago, I thought it was just people overexaggerating how much they like someone. We were going out for a number of months before we said it, but when we did we couldn't stop saying it. It was an intense feeling, and it still is. For all I know, I've still not felt love on the same level as others, but like Holden says in Chasing Amy, "if this isn't the real deal, I don't think I could handle it if it came along."

It feels awesome. To have that love returned, twice as awesome. My girlfriend could do nothing to turn me off her (except things like cheat on me, break up with me, etc., but even these things would hurt, they would not remove the love).

I myself am very skeptical of love. Love is not an actual emotion, it is a concept society has rammed down our throats and we have believe it to be that warm tingly feeling you get when you "fall in love." It is b.s. to me.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:09:08 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:06:36 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

I do not understand physics and it is torturing me.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:15:31 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:08:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I myself am very skeptical of love. Love is not an actual emotion, it is a concept society has rammed down our throats and we have believe it to be that warm tingly feeling you get when you "fall in love." It is b.s. to me.

My EXACT sentiments at your age. Indeed, my exact sentiments until about 3 years ago. Obviously the word "love" has been invented, and so you believe the concept to have also been invented and then rammed down our respective throats. But that's like saying because the word "jealousy" has been invented and taught to us from a young age, then the jealousy we feel is not every bit as real. Love is a feeling, you know it when it comes, and you can turn it neither on or off.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:15:40 PM

Have you ever loved a girl, or been loved by one?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:16:27 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:09:08 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I understand that, but what's that got to do with the topic at hand.

Also, what is it about physics you're struggling with exactly? I could perhaps lend a hand.

MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:28:49 PM
You just contradicted yourself.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:29:21 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:16:27 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Also, what is it about physics you're struggling with exactly? I could perhaps lend a hand.

I am doing really poorly with displacement-time graphs, velocity-time graphs, how to find slopes of these graphs in reference to velocity and acceleration, free fall problems, velocity problems, and pretty much everything involving constant acceleration.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:30:57 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:15:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

No. And I don't think I ever will. But I don't give a crap right now. Maybe if I'm older...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:35:55 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:30:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

No. And I don't think I ever will. But I don't give a crap right now. Maybe if I'm older...

Well then, it sounds more like either bitterness or intense cynicism as opposed to a rational theory on why love doesn't exist.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:37:46 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:35:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/8/2009 7:30:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Well then, it sounds more like either bitterness or intense cynicism as opposed to a rational theory on why love doesn't exist.

Neither, I'm just really on edge with school.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:48:53 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:29:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 9/8/2009 7:16:27 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

I am doing really poorly with displacement-time graphs, velocity-time graphs,

how to find slopes of these graphs in reference to velocity and acceleration,

If you are being given constant velocity/acceleration graphs (I reckon so, because it sounds like you're just starting physics), your s-t and v-t graphs should be linear. So to find the instantaneous velocity (on an s-t graph) or acceleration (on a v-t graph), you simply find the slope, which is just your old "rise over run" (or, how much the line goes up divided by how much it goes forward, in the x-axis.) Always go back to the basics: velocity = change in distance/change in time, and acceleration = change in velocity/change in time. The slope of a line in each graph is just performing this simple calculation.

free fall problems,

The beauty of free-fall problems is that you've always got:

a = 9.81 m/s (I didn't school in the States so it's probably ft./s there)
u = 0 m/s

From there, you've only got a couple of variables, such as a certain instantaneous velocity (v) at certain time (t), and the displacement (s) of the object. At least two of these will be given to you, then you use your equations of motion to find the other one, which will be what the question in seeking.

velocity problems, and pretty much everything involving constant acceleration.

It's really hard trying to tell and not show with this sort of stuff, so unless you can give me a specific problem you're having trouble with (provide a link?), I can't say much. What I can tell you is that I too struggled with these concepts early on when I started taking physics, but once you get the hang of them you'll wonder how you ever struggled.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:50:35 PM
I had strong feelings for someone once, not love, but close.

I had a friend who was a girl and we were really really really close. We hooked up a couple times, but we were never official boyfriend-girlfriend. Of course, this inevitably would lead to jealousy. One event led to another and we got into a really heated argument. We then "broke-up" as best-friends and have never talked since. It really hurt at first, but I have gotten over it. I guess that's my closest experience to "love"...
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 7:53:37 PM
At 9/8/2009 7:50:35 PM, Nags wrote:
I had strong feelings for someone once, not love, but close.

I had a friend who was a girl and we were really really really close. We hooked up a couple times, but we were never official boyfriend-girlfriend. Of course, this inevitably would lead to jealousy. One event led to another and we got into a really heated argument. We then "broke-up" as best-friends and have never talked since. It really hurt at first, but I have gotten over it. I guess that's my closest experience to "love"...

Damn, that sucks dude.

So OP, what about yourself?

KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 11:18:05 PM
After deep preponderance on the matter, I decided that Love is best defined as follows:

L is for the way you Look at me
O is for the Only one I see
V is Very, very extraordinary
E is Even more than anyone that you adore can

Love is all that I can give to you
Love is more than just a game for two
Two in love can make it
Take my heart and please don't break it
Love was made for me and you
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:22:11 AM
At 9/8/2009 11:18:05 PM, KRFournier wrote:
After deep preponderance on the matter, I decided that Love is best defined as follows:

L is for the way you Look at me
O is for the Only one I see
V is Very, very extraordinary
E is Even more than anyone that you adore can

Love is all that I can give to you
Love is more than just a game for two
Two in love can make it
Take my heart and please don't break it
Love was made for me and you

That was the song sung in the talent show in the Little Rascals ;)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:52:48 AM
@SAC- Your behavior on this thread indicates that you're very uncomfortable, and that there is a bitterness or a cynicism in you.

It isn't so much about school, I think you use school to escape dealing with a topic that you either don't understand, can't understand, or don't wish to understand, possibly because you've been hurt before?

Objectifying concepts, diving into logic and rationality, reducing everything into facts and figures, these are ways by which we drown out emotions or feelings we don't wish to have. It is a psychological way of numbing pain.

Before I fell in love, I would have echoed what you said (albeit in a more scientifically valid way) because in doing that, you objectively reduce the importance of love down to the level of everything else.

I recall you posting that you were having some emotional problems over the summer. Now that school started, its rational for you to escape them by immersing yourself in what you can tackle. Even if it is Physics.

@Rest of Topic
Love to me, is when you finally put the importance of another person over yourself. To me, that was the biggest difference I saw in the way I lived my life.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 4:33:23 AM
At 9/9/2009 3:52:48 AM, Kleptin wrote:

@Rest of Topic
Love to me, is when you finally put the importance of another person over yourself. To me, that was the biggest difference I saw in the way I lived my life.

That's being a servant. :(

Now if ya do it because their happiness relates directly to yours, that's another matter. ^^

As for a definition (romantic at least); the complete, total, utter, admiration of ones own values reflected in another.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 8:13:16 AM
Love is definitely the result of biological processes; that's why when someone takes Ecstasy, it is the closest thing to falling in love that you can feel without actually being in love. Why? Because the drug causes the release of serotonin and other chemicals that are released in the brain/body when you fall in love. That said, it doesn't matter if it is nothing more than chemical reactions or not. That can be said about almost anything (feeling or emotion). It doesn't make it any less amazing. I think love can best be summarized up by TRUST - When I love someone (and I do), I trust that this person has my best interests at heart, would take care of me in need and/or is someone I can count on, enjoys my company very very very much, values and respects me, and is sort of like my other half, my partner in crime, etc. I think love is trusting in all of those things with another person. Of course you make a lot of mistakes about whom to trust when you're very young; it takes a lot of trial and error before you can really get the hang of knowing a person/people in general and knowing who is actually worthy of that trust.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 8:34:03 AM
Love is where two or more people both have effectively the same interests in most or all aspects of their lives and value that fact.

And seriously SAC? I thought you were supposed to be a Christian, whatever happened to Jesus Loves You?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 9:24:25 AM
At 9/9/2009 8:34:03 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

And seriously SAC? I thought you were supposed to be a Christian, whatever happened to Jesus Loves You?

But he is so far away :( and the bible says men really shouldn't hug that much in case they catch YOU ARE GOING TO HELL.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 10:53:57 AM
Love is often the hardest thing to describe for most poets. I would call it a boner.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 11:49:18 AM
True love is very conditional. It is the exhilarating chemical reaction that takes place in your body when you find someone who meets all of your values. I wouldn't say it is your other half... because you are both wholes. I would say, together, you become something you couldn't become alone. (And hell, alone, we can do great things, so just imagine if you find the right somebody ;) )
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Ashley17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 1:51:28 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:52:48 AM, Kleptin wrote:
@SAC- Your behavior on this thread indicates that you're very uncomfortable, and that there is a bitterness or a cynicism in you.

It isn't so much about school, I think you use school to escape dealing with a topic that you either don't understand, can't understand, or don't wish to understand, possibly because you've been hurt before?

Objectifying concepts, diving into logic and rationality, reducing everything into facts and figures, these are ways by which we drown out emotions or feelings we don't wish to have. It is a psychological way of numbing pain.

Before I fell in love, I would have echoed what you said (albeit in a more scientifically valid way) because in doing that, you objectively reduce the importance of love down to the level of everything else.

I recall you posting that you were having some emotional problems over the summer. Now that school started, its rational for you to escape them by immersing yourself in what you can tackle. Even if it is Physics.

@Rest of Topic

Well said, that was excellent, you should be a phycologist or something
Ashley Bruneus
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 1:53:42 PM
At 9/9/2009 1:51:28 PM, Ashley17 wrote:

Phycology - study of algae
Phycologist - scientist who studies algae
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:19:39 PM
At 9/9/2009 1:53:42 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/9/2009 1:51:28 PM, Ashley17 wrote:

Phycology - study of algae
Phycologist - scientist who studies algae

I lol'd =D

I'd say love is never having to say you're sorry but anyone who has ever been in love knows that's a lot of bull.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...