Jump to topic:

Anonymous hits Australia

leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:46:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Found this on the news this morning, as far as I know this is the first time Anonymous has attacked in Australia:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au...
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:52:34 PM
I personally have little tolerance for the actions of these people. If they want to fight internet censorship, which I'm actually all for, they shouldn't go around demonstrating reasons why authorities should step in to protect private and public interests.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:56:58 PM
At 9/9/2009 2:52:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
I personally have little tolerance for the actions of these people. If they want to fight internet censorship, which I'm actually all for, they shouldn't go around demonstrating reasons why authorities should step in to protect private and public interests.

Yeah it does seem a little self-defeating doesn't it. The best thing the group has done in my opinion was this: http://www.kenny-glenn.net...

I don't even particularly like cats, but if there's one thing I dislike more it's animal abusers.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:01:11 PM
At 9/9/2009 2:56:58 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
Yeah it does seem a little self-defeating doesn't it. The best thing the group has done in my opinion was this: http://www.kenny-glenn.net...

I don't even particularly like cats, but if there's one thing I dislike more it's animal abusers.

Very true, though I have some slight problems with this, because I don't believe that it is right for them to necessarily put out all of his information on the internet like that... even though Glenn clearly deserves it.

I liked Anonymous for their stance against Scientology, but I still find that they go too far sometimes.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:05:00 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:01:11 PM, Volkov wrote:

Very true, though I have some slight problems with this, because I don't believe that it is right for them to necessarily put out all of his information on the internet like that... even though Glenn clearly deserves it.

Yeah, it's a tough one. On one hand, he deserves everything he gets and putting his info out like that is a damn good way to get back at him. On the other hand, he was 14 years old when he did it, and people should have a chance to make good on the mistakes they made at that age. That information will be on the internet forever.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:14:45 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:05:00 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
Yeah, it's a tough one. On one hand, he deserves everything he gets and putting his info out like that is a damn good way to get back at him. On the other hand, he was 14 years old when he did it, and people should have a chance to make good on the mistakes they made at that age. That information will be on the internet forever.

I suppose the difference between the situation Glenn was in and others is that Glenn did willingly put his information on the internet, information that was mostly available to the public. That I can see being relatively okay, just because the information was completely available and didn't necessarily break any privacy laws.

What they did do that is both legally and morally reprehensible is post the phone numbers and addresses of Glenn's family - what did they do to deserve that? Getting back at Glenn, sure - contact the authorities and make sure the animals are saved. But to allow people to literally target and harass family members... I would throw these people in jail for such an action, instead of just Glenn.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:22:33 PM
I fully favor hacking the websites of ebil government officials.

Animal abuse I don't even favor laws against so screw anon on that account :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:28:42 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:22:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Shouldn't you support their actions against Glenn? They may have contacted the law in the end, but the idea was to gather a bunch of private citizens to make Glenn pay, which they did - is that not how you believe it should work? Regardless of whether or not you like harming little kittens, their reaction seems to be right up your alley.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:30:23 PM

That's ace, what a little sh#t. I particularly like the dude with the "yea, I'm fat but that's not the point" pic.

It's a kind of vigilantism I guess and is definitely morally questionable but I can't help admiring it when proven scumbags are punished.

Not Anonymous but similar admirable mischief: http://www.guardian.co.uk...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:31:07 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:28:42 PM, Volkov wrote:

Shouldn't you support their actions against Glenn? They may have contacted the law in the end, but the idea was to gather a bunch of private citizens to make Glenn pay, which they did - is that not how you believe it should work?
That's what's called a compromise, I don't do that stuff remember? If you want to privately boycott daddy's company till he gets disowned or whatever, find, but the law did get contacted and that invalidates the rest :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:32:26 PM
*fine not find*
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:33:45 PM
I fully favor hacking the websites of ebil government officials.

You don't think it should be illegal to torture animals? I'd love to hear how you talked yourself into believing this one.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:33:53 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:31:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That's what's called a compromise, I don't do that stuff remember? If you want to privately boycott daddy's company till he gets disowned or whatever, find, but the law did get contacted and that invalidates the rest :).

Regardless of whether or not they contacted the law - the idea was that individuals each did their own actions to ensure Glenn was punished. That isn't necessarily compromise as it is co-operation - or are you against that as well?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:38:13 PM
You don't think it should be illegal to torture animals? I'd love to hear how you talked yourself into believing this one.
Animals don't have any rights, and therefore the rights of the abuser are intact even after the abuse.

Regardless of whether or not they contacted the law - the idea was that individuals each did their own actions to ensure Glenn was punished. That isn't necessarily compromise as it is co-operation - or are you against that as well?
Did they have Glenn's cooperation on this account?
).
And they had no right to "punish" him by any means except refraining from dealings with him. I am no more in favor of random individuals beating up innocents than I am of the government doing it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:40:09 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:38:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Did they have Glenn's cooperation on this account?
).
And they had no right to "punish" him by any means except refraining from dealings with him. I am no more in favor of random individuals beating up innocents than I am of the government doing it.

Fair enough; somehow though, this seems like a very flimsy excuse. I can't quite pin it down, but I just get that feeling.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:45:02 PM
Animals don't have any rights, and therefore the rights of the abuser are intact even after the abuse.

Oh so THAT'S how you talked yourself into believing it. Original.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:46:07 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:45:02 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Technically, the burden of proof for any law is on the affirmative. How do you talk yourself into the contrary, or is it "feelings?" :)
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 3:53:36 PM
At 9/9/2009 3:46:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/9/2009 3:45:02 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Technically, the burden of proof for any law is on the affirmative. How do you talk yourself into the contrary, or is it "feelings?" :)

Pretty much, yeah, despite your ingenious use of quotation marks and emoticons. I feel that inflicting unwarranted pain on animals is a wrongdoing, regardless whether or not that animal wears t-shirts and plays the banjo. Wrongdoings are punished in this society by law.

Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 4:29:21 PM
When Anonymous gets off its collective àss, I support its actions.

Most of the time.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:39:04 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:14:27 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:
"We have over 9000 penises raping little boys as we speak." - Oprah

The price of eggs?

idontbelieveit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:43:43 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:39:04 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

The price of eggs?

Que?

Anonymous got Oprah too. Search 9000 penises on YouTube.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 6:27:23 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:43:43 PM, idontbelieveit wrote:
At 9/9/2009 5:39:04 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

The price of eggs?

Que?

Anonymous got Oprah too. Search 9000 penises on YouTube.

Can't man, I'm at work. What was it all about?

leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 6:27:42 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:59:09 PM, Puck wrote:
I won't be able to with Rudd's filter. :P

Haha!