Jump to topic:

Ironic Irony?

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:33:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is it logical for irony to be ironic? I came to think of this during school today, but I have not exactly been able to figure it out exactly. So, members of DDO, is there such thing as ironic irony?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:40:01 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:33:48 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Is it logical for irony to be ironic?

I would think it would be illogical for irony to be anything but ironic.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:46:11 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:40:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

No, an event can be ironic, but he's asking if irony can, in itself, be ironic; and, I'm certain that, in certain situations, this is entirely possible.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 5:56:48 PM
Depends what definition ya go for - irony as an opposite meaning of the statement - then ironic irony would create a double negative canceling the initial irony making the whole thing fall apart. :P

As a manner of sardonic speaking - bitter irony (ironic irony) is employed often.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 6:13:05 PM
At 9/9/2009 5:46:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/9/2009 5:40:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

No, an event can be ironic, but he's asking if irony can, in itself, be ironic; and, I'm certain that, in certain situations, this is entirely possible.

Ok, I think I've got one. If a particular ironic situation were to occur at a conference dedicated to irony, I would think that would be ironic irony.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 6:18:41 PM
I was thinking that, perhaps, if someone expects something ironic to happen, and it doesn't, the situation is ironic because it's the opposite of an expected outcome, but that irony itself is also ironic, because the irony occurring was the opposite of the irony expected; ergo, it is ironic irony.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 8:23:39 PM
A notable quality to postmodern literature is its use--perhaps overuse--of irony. Postmodernists apply irony, because they believe modern society has come to embrace irony as a part of itself. Therefore, I guess you could say that postmodern literature is ironically ironic.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...