Jump to topic:

Intellectual

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:05:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I hear it said a lot, "I consider myself an intellectual" Just what are the parameters for coming to this conclusion, on your own no less? Doesn't someone else have to make that determination? I listen to people talk all the time, and all they do is regurgitate talking points or don't have a single original idea about anything, by that I mean, science, construction wood working, any subject you pick it. All they do is repeat what other people say. Yet they call themselves "Intellectual"

Discuss:
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:14:19 PM
Anybody who calls themselves an intellectual is most likely just arrogant people who happen to know how to memorize anything theyve heard. I dont trust them
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:15:39 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:14:19 PM, imabench wrote:
Anybody who calls themselves an intellectual is most likely just arrogant people who happen to know how to memorize anything theyve heard. I dont trust them
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:17:51 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:05:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
There is no such thing as an original idea.

Uh ya there is. I set the standard for cutting miters on a bridge saw. I was taught one way and after trying it several times determined it sucked. I came up with a better way of doing it. Now everyone I know who does what I do does it the way I do it. What the hell do you call an "invention" those are new ideas. But I guess you have already thaught of everything since you can with astounding certainty say there are "no new ideas." Politics, I would agree with though. That's just trying the same things over and over again and expecting different results. But none the less, most who hold political positions can't explain why they have them other than pathetic emotion.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:22:01 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:17:51 PM, sadolite wrote:

Uh ya there is. I set the standard for cutting miters on a bridge saw. I was taught one way and after trying it several times determined it sucked. I came up with a better way of doing it. Now everyone I know who does what I do does it the way I do it. What the hell do you call an "invention" those are new ideas. But I guess you have already thaught of everything since you can with astounding certainty say there are "no new ideas." Politics, I would agree with though. That's just trying the same things over and over again and expecting different results. But none the less, most who hold political positions can't explain why they have them other than pathetic emotion.

Those are all based on previous ideas, and I'm sure someone else in another part of the world or country or even state, for that matter, came up with the idea before you did.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:37:07 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:22:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Those are all based on previous ideas, and I'm sure someone else in another part of the world or country or even state, for that matter, came up with the idea before you did.

So you have an infinite regression of ideas that all came from previous ideas?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:42:18 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:37:07 PM, phantom wrote:

I was specifically discussing ideas that we "come up with" in the modern world.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:44:06 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:42:18 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/20/2012 9:37:07 PM, phantom wrote:

I was specifically discussing ideas that we "come up with" in the modern world.

Fight semantics with semantics. :P
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 10:03:27 PM
I think people who have intellectual interests call themselves Intellectuals. Even though someone who feels the need to refer to themselves that way is probably arrogant, I don't think it's automatically off-putting. While I'm the first to point out that memorization =/= intelligence, there's something to be said for having a background in certain intellectual areas: philosophy, science, math, psychology, etc. Ideally you can apply critical thinking skills to what you learn about those things, and use that to come to your own conclusions or learn how to apply that knowledge plus the strengthened ability to reason to come up with new solutions or helpful ideas. This applies to things from politics to wood working.
President of DDO