Jump to topic:

I finally understand.

Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 5:46:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In the three years and more that I've been here, I've never understood why people make good-bye threads. I always thought they were just because people wanted attention - and when they were made by certain trolls or a certain fifteen-year-old female member who shall be nameless, that's all the value I placed on them. They'll be back; after the chatter dies down but before they are forgotten, they always come back.

I may have misjudged some people.

See, I've been here for more than three years. I've seen huge changes in this site and the people on here, and I've made friends here that I can't walk away from easily. I've seen people change, seen them mature and grow; and touching their minds and hearing their thoughts has made me grow, too. I've changed, having had to defend everything I believe, all the way down to the basis for morality. I've had to abandon some beliefs that I held without properly examining them. I've gained a new respect for people who hold opinions diametrically opposed to mine, even though we don't agree and never will. I'm a better man now for having had you people to balance out some of my excesses; and I only just realized that I'm grateful to you all for it.

Even those of you that, frankly, I can't stand. You changed me too, though you didn't mean to.

I hardly ever post here anymore, and I'm not entirely sure why; about once a month or so I'll come by to read what people have said, see if those of my friends who are still here are up to anything. Most of them left long ago, anyway, or don't post anymore.

For all intents and purposes, I've already left. This site is no longer a part of my daily, or even my weekly schedule; I don't debate anymore, and hardly ever follow a thread long enough to have a decent argument now. I tried to play mafia, and had to stop because life is just too insistent. Getting too old to stay up all night and go to work in the morning. Getting too busy to justify spending two hours writing a debate round that no-one will read.

And you know, most of that is just shifting priorities. I could quit work and stay on here all day, if it were that important; but I don't have time for all the things that are quite important, let alone the things that are urgent. I've got far too much to do now, now that my Unstoppable Mime Army is complete.

Most of the people this would mean anything to are already long gone; but for those of you still here, thank you. Thanks for being a point of semi-stability in a crazy three years that badly needed it.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 12:20:42 PM
That was beautiful.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:40:21 PM
Do you know how many episodes of Tosh.0 im gonna have to watch to get this warm fuzzy feeling out of me?????
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 9:39:27 PM
Peace.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:33:02 AM
Allons y!

Long live The Unstoppable Mime Army!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 8:25:25 PM
the primary purpose of this site is to debate, so theres no use getting all tangled up personally with people you will most likely never meet. It distracts from the goal.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 12:21:45 AM
nice speech. Im new, so my opinion is worthless but its fun to know whats going to happen to me in the future, so a bientot senoir enjoy your life. :)
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...