Hist. Figures Mafia - Day Phase 1

JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 2:51:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Rules:

1. All votes must be in bold to be counted. You have three options: Vote [name], Unvote, or No Lynch. Vote [name] is a vote to lynch said player. Unvote removes an active vote [name] or No Lynch vote. No Lynch is a vote to end the day without lynching.

2. A greater than 50% unanimity must be reached during a day phase in order to carry out a lynch or no lynch. The day phase officially ends when I declare it as such. I will declare the end of a day phase as soon as I am online and able to confirm a majority vote. Once the day officially ends, no more (strategic) discussion. It'd be best to refrain from most discussion in general.

3. Players must not discuss the game outside of the day phase threads and private PMs I have started. That includes Facebook, the dinner table or anywhere else. I will be included in all PMs between privileged parties. If you, as a player, are invited to a PM under the pretense that it is "official," confirm that I am on the list of recipients. If not, report those players immediately. The penalty for violating this rule is immediate mod killing.

4. Dead players are not permitted to participate in the game, including both private PMs and the day phase threads. Deceased players are encouraged to keep up with the game at their discretion just in case something changes (or they later act as replacement players). I will let uninformative comments slide such as, "Avenge me, townies!" However, if you reveal information that gives a demonstrable edge to either side, I will punish the party to which you were affiliated. For instance, if you were mafia, were killed, and said something too revealing from your grave, then the mafia will lose their next night phase. The same goes for townies.

5. No copying and pasting from private PMs between you and I. You may summarize something I supposedly said if you wish, but nobody has to believe you... more about that later.

6. Be courteous to your fellow players. This game loses fun if you are inconsiderate to others, whether by direct abuse or simply by not showing up. This game is most fun when players, well, play. If you have to be gone for a day or two, let your fellow players know. I reserve the right to replace any player who isn't active.

7. You may communicate with me directly via the PMs with any questions, comments or concerns. You are also responsible for submitting your night actions to me in a timely manner. Additionally, if any questions are directed to the moderator in the day phase thread, you may ask me there publicly as well as via PM (to ensure that I respond to it quickly in the thread for everyone).

8. Some of you have roles in this game. There are no rules against revealing these roles or the names of characters (real or false).

9. The story will be minimally important to the game. I advise anyone against relying strictly on the story. The game play will mostly take place between players, and my short stories will not likely reveal much.

10. To avoid this game going on for months, there will be phase limits. Until further notice, each day phase has a 7 day limit. Each night phase has a 4 day limit. Day phases that reach the limit end in a No Lynch (subject to my judgement – i.e. if a lynch is close to being enacted I will likely extend the deadline). Night phases that reach the limit will cause actions not submitted to be forfeit. These limits are flexible and can be changed pending special circumstances, and are up to my discretion.

11. The townies win when all antagonists are eliminated. The antagonists win when it is mathematically impossible for them to lose.

12. Have fun! Report anything suspicious! Don't cheat! And finally... don't take this game too seriously. I wouldn't want anybody going off the deep end on account of the mafia game.

======================

Active Players List:

1. KRFournier
2. TheSkeptic
3. Cody_Franklin
4. pcmbrown
5. mongoose
6. Clockwork
7. Logical-Master
8. leet4A1
9. Vi_Veri
10. theLwerd
11. wjmelements
12. philosophical
13. SportsGuru
14. mongeese
15. Big_Mac2
16. Nags
17. LeafRod
18. Rezzealaux
19. I-am-a-Panda
20. Ragnar_Rahl
21. ToastOfDestiny
22. AFT

======================

Stories
(See Rule 9 above)

A man stood atop a podium in a crowded town square. He was well dressed and full of adornments. He held a gold cane, which he used to gesture to the people as they walked by. His voice was filled with emotion as he bellowed across the plaza.
"Jesus Christ is the only way! He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life!"

-----------------

A man sat in the study of his wealthy townhouse. He paced back and forth in rage.

I've had enough of his incompetence! The former preacher thought to himself, I now know what must be done…

-----------------

The incorruptible man sat at his office desk in the palace, just like he had done every day for the past two years. Except, today was different... He had learned the most unsavory of news. As far as he could tell, there was only one way out of this mess -another day of cleansing.

-----------------

A similar event transpired across town in an office not unlike the incorruptible man's. As far as the official powers were concerned, he was just another man. Yet, he knew better. As long as he had the influence of the populace, he knew, he would never be just another man...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 2:56:50 PM
"The incorruptible man sat at his office desk in the palace, just like he had done every day for the past two years. Except, today was different... He had learned the most unsavory of news. As far as he could tell, there was only one way out of this mess -another day of cleansing."

Robespierre :D
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:00:00 PM
Hmmm...not much we can gleam from the story, being it relates to no-one, yet. The typical question: Lynch or no-lynch?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:00:58 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:00:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Hmmm...not much we can gleam from the story, being it relates to no-one, yet. The typical question: Lynch or no-lynch?

Lynch. Duh. :D
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:02:16 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:00:58 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 9/18/2009 3:00:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Lynch. Duh. :D

Partially agree. Townies won before by lynching every day. But who?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:03:06 PM
I guess we wait until everyone clocks in to see where that goes, Panda.

Robespierre! Interesting.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:04:27 PM
Well, I'm clocking out for the night. 'Tis 11 clock in the Emerald Isle and I have to watch both parts to the movie 'Che' by tomorrow. Don't ask why.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:05:12 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:01:42 PM, Nags wrote:
Lynch Logical-Master

No reasoning for SportsGuru "aura of evil" what-so-ever.

Ease up; I was kidding. I was poking fun at the fact that he is usually against the town
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:05:18 PM
Logical_Master

If it's a random number generator, tell us that. If you have a role, and it is correct, telling us "Aura of evil" isn't going to save your life much better than telling us the role.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:07:07 PM
Huh, I see. A joke. Nevertheless a bad joke. MAFIA IS SRS BZNS. Vote stands for now, as LM has essentially replaced a random # generator for himself.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:09:31 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:07:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Vote stands for now, as LM has essentially replaced a random # generator for himself.

How have I replaced a random # generator for myself?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:10:04 PM
It's the same old debate every first day phase... yawn. We all know how this turns out: Everyone agrees to lynch. Now, you're right, Panda, the question is WHO. There's no real reason to kill off anyone just yet, so I propose that we go based not on experience, but performance. Being mod of the last game (and playing in every game on DDO thus far), I've gotten pretty keen as to who the better players are. I posit that the most logical thing for us to do would be to lynch off the person we think could least effectively help our team. So, based on previous game performance, I suppose that ToastOfDestiny screwed up the most (sorry... no offense, really), second only to wjmelements (but we'll let that one slide lol). So, unless anyone has any better ideas on who we should lynch and why, I recommend nominating Toast to be lynched. Thoughts?
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:11:03 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:09:31 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 9/18/2009 3:07:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Vote stands for now, as LM has essentially replaced a random # generator for himself.

How have I replaced a random # generator for myself?

By making it so that we learn something extra about Guru from killing you. :)
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:15:22 PM
I agree, lynching off people who don't usually play or who generally suck would be the best way to go. I'll vote to lynch ToastofDestiny.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:17:02 PM
VOTE COUNT

Logical-Master (Ragnar_Rahl) -- 1/11 votes needed to lynch
ToastOfDestiny (Vi_Veri) -- 1/11 votes needed to lynch
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:20:21 PM
VOTE COUNT

Logical-Master: (Nags, Ragnar_Rahl) -- 2/12 votes needed to lynch
ToastOfDestiny: (Vi_Veri) -- 1/12 votes needed to lynch
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:21:40 PM
Does anyone else have any other suggestion or standard we should go by to decide whom we should lynch? Ragnar, your random number generator has no credibility; it's been wrong every time thus far. That's actually a statistic in L-M's favor :P
President of DDO
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:24:33 PM
For now, I'll follow theLwerd's lead and see what Toast has to say. I vote to lynch ToastOfDestiny.

In the meantime...

Logical-Master, if you were the cop, who would you investigate tonight and why?
Vi, if you were the doctor, who would you protect and why?
Panda, if you were mafia, who would you kill tonight and why?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:27:23 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:21:40 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Does anyone else have any other suggestion or standard we should go by to decide whom we should lynch? Ragnar, your random number generator has no credibility; it's been wrong every time thus far.
My random number generator has been used a total of one time. That's terrible induction.

In any case, my random number generator isn't being used here, it's LM's random joke generator :).
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:33:21 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but is it okay for me to ask questions and stuff as a "Mafia Intern" o.o?

Or would that interfere in the analytical process?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:34:36 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:24:33 PM, KRFournier wrote:
For now, I'll follow theLwerd's lead and see what Toast has to say. I vote to lynch ToastOfDestiny.

In the meantime...

Logical-Master, if you were the cop, who would you investigate tonight and why?
Vi, if you were the doctor, who would you protect and why?
Panda, if you were mafia, who would you kill tonight and why?

If for some odd reason, the day ended RIGHT NOW, I wouldn't really have much to go on. I'd go with someone I had a really hard time distinguishing between their towny and mafia selves. SportsGuru.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:35:57 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:33:21 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Sorry to interrupt, but is it okay for me to ask questions and stuff as a "Mafia Intern" o.o?

Or would that interfere in the analytical process?

Ask away! Or better yet, take my offer.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:44:11 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:27:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Does anyone else have any other suggestion or standard we should go by to decide whom we should lynch? Ragnar, your random number generator has no credibility; it's been wrong every time thus far.
My random number generator has been used a total of one time. That's terrible induction.

In any case, my random number generator isn't being used here, it's LM's random joke generator :).

Well, there doesn't seem to be much discussion going on elsewhere, so I'll give this attention.

Lets say I am in fact mafia: What do I have to gain by posting this joke at the very beginning of the game?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:48:52 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:44:11 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

Well, there doesn't seem to be much discussion going on elsewhere, so I'll give this attention.

Lets say I am in fact mafia: What do I have to gain by posting this joke at the very beginning of the game?
The usual confusion, with an odd possibility someone will take it as a role hint in there and lynch.

Of course, we can be fairly sure you'd take a surer route to his death if you were trying to sacrifice him, so if we kill you and find you guilty, we get a confirmed innocent.

It's not much, but it's better than nothing to go on :).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:55:20 PM
L-M, I know what you mean about SportsGuru -- his play style is as such that you can never tell if he's townie or mafia. His logic is either spot on or god-awful. Take the last game for instance. His game play made him incredibly suspicious (even I thought so) and yet he had one of the most important roles in the game as a townie. That said, I don't think that it's worth it to kill a player on the FIRST DAY who may be able to help us later on. Similarly, I disagree with voting for a good player such as yourself based on something as frivolous as Ragnar's so-called number generator. For now, I'll stick with my original vote to lynch ToastOfDestiny.
President of DDO
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:56:14 PM
At 9/18/2009 3:48:52 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 9/18/2009 3:44:11 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

The usual confusion, with an odd possibility someone will take it as a role hint in there and lynch.

But upon him being lynched, I'd be suspected. I could see if my move could in fact contribute to quick mafia win via draw as it did in KRF's game, but this game just started. At this point, my death in exchange for another townies death is the worst possible move to make. To top it all of, why go through the process of establishing some connection with the death of a confirmed innocent when I can just kill him at night without anyone getting any ideas?

Of course, we can be fairly sure you'd take a surer route to his death if you were trying to sacrifice him, so if we kill you and find you guilty, we get a confirmed innocent.

And if I am found innocent, then what? Is the town to lynch you for leading the charge in lynching me?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 4:09:43 PM
L-M, if we lynch SportsGuru and he comes up innocent, that makes you look bad. If he's guilty, it doesn't necessarily make you look good; you could just be a mafioso putting his name out there to distract attention away from yourself. However, I'm not willing to lynch you during the 1st day phase on a whim based on your random silly assertion or Ragnar's silly theory. I think the only thing we have to go on right now is who we'd be willing to take a chance on lynching. Like I said, SportsGuru may very well be mafia, but I'm not willing to lynch him for no reason on Day 1 - especially without him even posting. On the other hand, Toast tends to under-perform as a townie (he screwed up pretty badly a few times during the last game) and yet I remember as a mafioso he was rather decent during his first game. So, based on that fact alone, my vote stands for now.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 4:23:14 PM
VOTE COUNT

Logical-Master:
(Nags, Ragnar_Rahl) -- 2/12 votes needed to lynch
ToastOfDestiny: (Vi_Veri, KRFournier, theLwerd) -- 3/12 votes needed to lynch
President of DDO