Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Killing mammals vs killing insects

1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:03:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
'Cause society deems killing insects to be permissible while killing mammals to be slightly less permissible.

Boom. Cultural relativism.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:10:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:03:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
'Cause society deems killing insects to be permissible while killing mammals to be slightly less permissible.

Boom. Cultural relativism.

+1
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:13:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Animals have personalities, Insects do not. Altho, I think killing some animals is Ok, such as Rats, Squirrels, frogs etc. Though, this does not apply to food. I don't care what you kill to eat our wearas long as you don't waste it.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:32:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:03:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
'Cause society deems killing insects to be permissible while killing mammals to be slightly less permissible.

Boom. Cultural relativism.

Just to add to the boom, Insects don't feel pain, Mammals do however. All mammals have similar cognitive abilities. A chicken, is only good either fried or alive, not just dead. A cockroach, is only good dead, or doused in chocolate sauce.

http://insects.about.com...

http://www.candywarehouse.com...

http://insects.about.com...
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:32:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
sorry about the double posted link
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:32:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:13:46 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Animals have personalities, Insects do not. Altho, I think killing some animals is Ok, such as Rats, Squirrels, frogs etc. Though, this does not apply to food. I don't care what you kill to eat our wearas long as you don't waste it.
You mean mammals. Not sure a layered neo-cortex always warrants as a personality but I get you.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 1:29:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Because insects are worthless, irrational, insignificant, lacking in feeling and it's debatable whether they're conscious. We have no reason to recognize their rights.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 1:32:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 1:29:09 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Because insects are worthless,

Baseless assertion.

irrational,

Insects perform purposeful actions (ants), therefore they are rational.

insignificant,

Baseless assertion.

lacking in feeling

This justifies killing? Am I now allowed to kill psychopaths?

and it's debatable whether they're conscious.

Depends on how we define consciousness. If consciousness is defined as purposeful interaction with the environment, then all living things are conscious.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 1:33:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
because human beings have care for other species depending on how many properties they share, which is the only reason why we have care for other humans. An insect is too unhuman to deserve care.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 2:12:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 1:32:13 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/15/2012 1:29:09 PM, phantom wrote:
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Because insects are worthless,

Baseless assertion.

They have no intrinsic worth. The only way for them to have rights is if they can exist within our moral set-up. Society has no-need to do such a thing. They live insignificant meaningless lives. Humans and animals are vastly superior to them in every form so from our perspective they are worthless and insignificant.

irrational,

Insects perform purposeful actions (ants), therefore they are rational.

Mainly by instinct. If they have rationality, it is small and insignificant.

insignificant,

Baseless assertion.

Same as worthless ^^.

lacking in feeling

This justifies killing? Am I now allowed to kill psychopaths?

Psychopaths experience feeling. Not sure what you're talking about.

and it's debatable whether they're conscious.

Depends on how we define consciousness. If consciousness is defined as purposeful interaction with the environment, then all living things are conscious.

Self-awareness. Robots can't be conscious. I think it's reasonable to believe that simple life forms can act without being conscious via determinism.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:43:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:03:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
'Cause society deems killing insects to be permissible while killing mammals to be slightly less permissible.

Boom. Cultural relativism.

The problem with "relativism" is that the language of it implies that the ontological status of an action as "moral" or "immoral" actually depends on societies acceptance or repugnance of it. Drop the veil and just call it nihilism like the rest of us.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 10:46:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Different AR activists have different motives. For instance, Peter Singer is a preference utilitarian and thinks the status of an animal as having moral worth or not is its capacity for preferences. So he's AR advocate for chimps and dogs in most situations but he usually wouldn't care about a sponge that doesn't have the capacity for thought or feeling. You're simply assuming that to favor animal rights that someone has to support rights for EVERY living thing which in most cases isn't the case or need it be to maintain consistency.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:08:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 10:46:50 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Different AR activists have different motives. For instance, Peter Singer is a preference utilitarian and thinks the status of an animal as having moral worth or not is its capacity for preferences. So he's AR advocate for chimps and dogs in most situations but he usually wouldn't care about a sponge that doesn't have the capacity for thought or feeling. You're simply assuming that to favor animal rights that someone has to support rights for EVERY living thing which in most cases isn't the case or need it be to maintain consistency.

A little off-topic but I believe Peter Singer doesn't really argue for animal rights, only animal liberation. He clams he has "little to say about about rights" because he basis his argument on equality rather than rights and what little use of the word he does use he says he "could easily have dispensed with altogether."
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 9:14:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

You'd like the Jaanists.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 4:00:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Some animal rights activists hold that it is immoral to hurt or kill insects; many don't eat honey or wear silk for this reason.

Most humans (myself included) find it extremely counterintuitive that an insect could suffer. However, it's difficult to explain why they wouldn't be able to suffer given that they are in the animal kingdom and evolve under similar evolutionary preasures that all other animal evolve under.

So despite the fact that it is counterintuitive that insects can suffer, it might be reasonable to assume they do just to be on the safe side - and that's what many ARA's do.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:57:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:02:11 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect. Animal rights activists are always screaming about the rights of animals yet they think it is perfectly fine too kill insects, but not mammals, reptiles, etc.

Tell me, animal rights activists, why is killing mammals, reptiles, birds wrong but killing insects is acceptable?

Higher animals have moral agency, lower animal do not. I don't think you've looked into the issue much if you claim that "There is no moral difference between killing a mammal and killing an insect."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.