Jump to topic:

Would you rather

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 11:56:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I haven't been able to decide for the past few months. Please push me help me reach a decision.

Option A: Be among the greatest athletes in history in the sport of your choosing. You can also choose your physical build (within limits, no going Bane.) I'm thinking here how it totally fcuking rule to be like one of the best heavyweight MMA fighters in history or best running back or wide receiver in football. I would also consider something like world-class triathlete.

Option B: Have one of the best singing voices in history and a DECENT ability to write songs. You wouldn't be coming up with like Beethoven's 9th in like one day, but you'd be decent among today's songwriters with the ability to improve. You could walk on American idol or X factor and be guaranteed top 4.

Help me decide.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:35:18 PM
B because ive seen people who would be terrific athletes have their careers completely demolished by one minor injury.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 2:49:43 PM
I would pick A for myself because I've always dreamed of being a tennis player. I happen to also think A is the better choice in general. I feel like there is more certainty of success there than just in the ability to sing and song-write. Youtube's got that market covered.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:00:05 PM
A. When you hit a huge shot or throw an important TD pass in a big game, the rush of euphoria is hard to match. To single handedly make everyone in a stadium stand up and scream would be pretty intense. I don't think there's any single moment you could do as a singer that would match the intensity of hitting a game-winning shot in the NBA finals, for instance.

Its a hard choice though. On the other hand, being a singer/songwriter would probably be less time consuming. I mean, it takes a lot of work, but not as much as sports players go through. But Maikuru had a good point. Even if you have a great voice and are a decent writer, there's no guarantee you'll make it in the business because so many people are also trying to get in. Whereas with sports, there's only 50 or so really good NBA or football players in the world.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:02:57 PM
"A" because it's a dream to be able to do what you love to do most for a living.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:12:15 PM
I choose C: Be Jesus.

Actually on topic, though, I'd probably go with B, since being an athlete is a kind of one-sided show: you have physique and that's close to it. After that you're limited to retiring or becoming a shoddy sports caster or analyst and that's about it. With an ability to sing and write, your options are wider and you have more time to be yourself. The doors for those who do the music industry are far more open than those who do sports, with almost as much payment if you make it big as those in sports. And, on what imabench said, it's a lot harder to blow your career in one injury in music than it is in sports.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:53:11 PM
At 9/30/2012 11:56:34 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I haven't been able to decide for the past few months. Please push me help me reach a decision.

Option A: Be among the greatest athletes in history in the sport of your choosing. You can also choose your physical build (within limits, no going Bane.) I'm thinking here how it totally fcuking rule to be like one of the best heavyweight MMA fighters in history or best running back or wide receiver in football. I would also consider something like world-class triathlete.

Option B: Have one of the best singing voices in history and a DECENT ability to write songs. You wouldn't be coming up with like Beethoven's 9th in like one day, but you'd be decent among today's songwriters with the ability to improve. You could walk on American idol or X factor and be guaranteed top 4.

Help me decide.

More immortality/less physical risk.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 5:00:56 PM

Help me decide.

Yes.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:46:24 PM
Definately A all the way.

Especially since I've been injured for several months, so its kind of depressing.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:50:40 PM

Help me decide.

I'd pick A because you are one of the greatest at what you do overall, whereas B simply gives you recognition for your voice, but with no outlet (Due to you writing mediocre songs) theres no way of telling if you will ever even be noticed. Unless i could get some A-list writer to write hit songs for me, I'd choose A.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:59:50 PM
I prize musical talent and intelligence over athleticism, Thank you very much.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:16:01 PM
At 10/1/2012 7:59:50 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
I prize musical talent and intelligence over athleticism, Thank you very much.

Who said anything about intelligence?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:53:54 AM

Help me decide.

I'd be an athlete.

http://current.com...
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:51:54 AM
"but you'd be decent among today's songwriters"
So you would be total sh!t.