Jump to topic:

Can you help me write a guide?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 1:11:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am currently compiling a guide to the world's most unusual watering holes but I need your help.

If you know of a venue that is special in any way, it could be a posh nightclub in an exotic location or an isolated pub in some long-forgotten backwater, whatever, please let me know about it.

You could write a few words or just post an Internet link. All contributions will be acknowledged if published.

Here are a couple of examples of the sort of places I have in mind.

Reina - Istanbul, Turkey.

http://www.reina.com.tr...

Overview:

Outdoor nightclub and restaurant, formerly known as "Pacha", located in the Ortaköy district of Istanbul on the European shore of the Bosphorus with beautiful views of the Asian side of the city and also one of the two spectacular bridges that connect both continents. The main dance floor is located at the foot of a series of bars and sitting areas that are arranged in terraces around three sides of it, in the form of an amphitheatre. The party usually gets going around midnight and lasts until dawn.

Downsides:

The club is not accessible by public transport so customers need to either take a taxi or (which are not always easy to find late at night) or drive. However, if you do decide to drive, be aware that there is no parking at the club and it is very difficult to find spaces in the surrounding streets. That said, the local mafia operate an unofficial valet parking scheme whereby they will take your car, park it off-street and bring it back when you leave, in return for about $10 - if you trust them!

Berney Arms - Norfolk, England.

http://www.berneyarms.co.uk...

Overview:

Located on the River Yare this pub enjoys unrivalled views of the Norfolk Broads. The pub stands totally alone except for the disused windmill next door and is remarkable for being the only pub in Britain with its own dedicated railway station, although most people arrive in their boats. The Berney Arms is a traditional English pub, unpretentious and serves good old-fashioned real ales and home-cooked food.

Downsides:

Don't have your boat moored outside? Missed the last train home? Well, in that case you will spend the night sleeping rough because there are no roads to the pub (you can only access it by train or boat) and they don't do accommodation. Or you could walk the ten miles through the dark, waterlogged marshes to the nearest town.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 1:21:14 PM
Hmmmm.......There's nothing really unique par say in Dublin, we make the drink, the world adapts it.

However I recommend a place called Barcode only 430 minutes away from where I live if you are suicidal but are too afraid to shoot yourself and want good times before you commit the act.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2009 3:11:45 PM
At 9/28/2009 1:11:32 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I am currently compiling a guide to the world's most unusual watering holes but I need your help.

If you know of a venue that is special in any way, it could be a posh nightclub in an exotic location or an isolated pub in some long-forgotten backwater, whatever, please let me know about it.

You could write a few words or just post an Internet link. All contributions will be acknowledged if published.

Here are a couple of examples of the sort of places I have in mind.

Reina - Istanbul, Turkey.

http://www.reina.com.tr...

Overview:

Outdoor nightclub and restaurant, formerly known as "Pacha", located in the Ortaköy district of Istanbul on the European shore of the Bosphorus with beautiful views of the Asian side of the city and also one of the two spectacular bridges that connect both continents. The main dance floor is located at the foot of a series of bars and sitting areas that are arranged in terraces around three sides of it, in the form of an amphitheatre. The party usually gets going around midnight and lasts until dawn.

Downsides:

The club is not accessible by public transport so customers need to either take a taxi or (which are not always easy to find late at night) or drive. However, if you do decide to drive, be aware that there is no parking at the club and it is very difficult to find spaces in the surrounding streets. That said, the local mafia operate an unofficial valet parking scheme whereby they will take your car, park it off-street and bring it back when you leave, in return for about $10 - if you trust them!

Berney Arms - Norfolk, England.

http://www.berneyarms.co.uk...

Overview:

Located on the River Yare this pub enjoys unrivalled views of the Norfolk Broads. The pub stands totally alone except for the disused windmill next door and is remarkable for being the only pub in Britain with its own dedicated railway station, although most people arrive in their boats. The Berney Arms is a traditional English pub, unpretentious and serves good old-fashioned real ales and home-cooked food.

Downsides:

Don't have your boat moored outside? Missed the last train home? Well, in that case you will spend the night sleeping rough because there are no roads to the pub (you can only access it by train or boat) and they don't do accommodation. Or you could walk the ten miles through the dark, waterlogged marshes to the nearest town.

This place is pretty sweet, I went to one in Queenstown, New Zealand:

http://www.minus5experience.com...

The glasses, tables, walls, everything is made of ice. It cost about $50 NZ just to get in, but you get all your warm clothing given to you and a free cocktail. I thought the one in Queenstown was the only one but by the looks of that website there are quite a few around the world.

Hope you can include it in some way dude.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 5:10:54 AM
Thanks Leet, that's just the sort of thing I am after.

But what about you guys that live in the States? I've been to loads of great bars over there but I'm pretty sure that I haven't been to them all!

Perhaps there is one close to where you live that is unusual in some way? It doesn't have to be posh or have a spectacular view, it could be that it sells some unusual food or drink or is run by a Nazi war criminal or something.

For example, there is a 'Taliban' pub in Aberdeen that technically allows women in but they never go in because it doesn't have a ladies toilet.

Or just within a few hundred yards of where I live there in London's Docklands is an 'Apartheid' pub run by Afrikaners who left South Africa when Mandela became president and is now a mecca for Springbok ex-pats who want to drink in an all-white environment.

Or there's a floating pub with fantastic views of the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf and all the boats in the marina that my fellow bertholders and I travel to our tenders.

Or in my home town up north there is a pub that is built into a cave at the bottom of the cliffs which can only be reached by a lift (elevator) or by the beach at very low tide.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 5:32:50 AM
Here are a couple of moderately remarkable drinking dens in my neck of the woods.

The Crooked House near Dudley (see video 1) is special because you walk in sober and feel drunk straight away. http://www.ukattraction.com...

The Yardbird Jazz Club in Birmingham City Centre (see video 2) is special because of the amazing DJs and bands that play there every friday night (NOT SPAM!).

Good luck with the guide Brian.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2009 3:04:04 PM
I'll post some hot spots that I like in NYC at some point later on. I'm really interested in checking out cool places in Chicago; however, my girlfriend is only 20 and can't come out with me to bars yet... so I'm stuck! :(
President of DDO