Jump to topic:

In Defense of "Insanity"

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 8:45:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A purist is "a person who insists on absolute adherence to traditional rules or structures." A moral purist is an individual who insists on absolute adherence to morality in daily life. I am a moral purist. I strive to maintain consistency in my beliefs regardless of the amount of change they will require to occur and regardless of my personal benefit. Many people view this as insanity, but this is only because they have a different world view that does not require adhering to principles but rather permits any arbitrary imposition of power that benefits them. My comments may seem stupid to you not because they are actually stupid but rather because you evaluate the world through a different lens than I do. That does not make me idiotic.

Anybody who is not a purist has no right to appeal to principle because principle is meaningless unless it fulfills whatever arbitrary notions they have created to filter it.
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 9:20:35 AM
At 11/12/2012 8:45:32 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
A purist is "a person who insists on absolute adherence to traditional rules or structures." A moral purist is an individual who insists on absolute adherence to morality in daily life. I am a moral purist. I strive to maintain consistency in my beliefs regardless of the amount of change they will require to occur and regardless of my personal benefit. Many people view this as insanity, but this is only because they have a different world view that does not require adhering to principles but rather permits any arbitrary imposition of power that benefits them. My comments may seem stupid to you not because they are actually stupid but rather because you evaluate the world through a different lens than I do. That does not make me idiotic.

Anybody who is not a purist has no right to appeal to principle because principle is meaningless unless it fulfills whatever arbitrary notions they have created to filter it.

kfc
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:25:17 AM
At 11/12/2012 11:54:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
What moral rules do you follow?

Remember that you're talking to someone who's a Sikh one day, a deist another, and an atheist another.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)