Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Hall of Fame - Discussion

imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:25:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 5:53:46 AM, FREEDO wrote:
It's finally been updated.

LOL@ Izbo getting in.

Im surprised he got voted in too, but technically he did have a pretty big impact on DDO so he certainly does qualify
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 12:29:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm withholding sex until I get in.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 1:27:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 1:25:44 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
And I agree, Izbo should be in. He had a big impact and just about everyone knows who he is.

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of I've heard of him.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 1:35:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Thanks everyone. The president and I have been working together for the Hall of Fame and I will be moderating it. Unfortunately, it does take time so hopefully it will be in by 3 months next time instead of 5.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 2:42:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 1:25:44 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
And I agree, Izbo should be in. He had a big impact and just about everyone knows who he is.

He should be in the Hall of Fame.

Fame, while it has a positive connotation, isn't just for "good" members. What constitutes a "good" member anyways?

Fame - The condition of being known or talked about by many people, esp. on account of notable achievements.

He is well known for notable achievements - like it or not.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:29:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.

Dingus, people vote for who they think should be in the hall of fame based on how much theyve contributed.... They dont vote on who they think is the most popular member.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:31:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 1:35:29 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Thanks everyone. The president and I have been working together for the Hall of Fame and I will be moderating it. Unfortunately, it does take time so hopefully it will be in by 3 months next time instead of 5.

All of those submissions were written by either Me, Rob1million, Logic_on_rails, and Airmax himself, then Airmax used his mod powers to introduce the first class of inductees by himself. I doubt you have had any recent involvement in the Hall of Fame so dont try and take all the credit.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:42:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Viper did the voting...

Isn't it rob1billion?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 7:29:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.

Dingus, people vote for who they think should be in the hall of fame based on how much theyve contributed .... They dont vote on who they think is the most popular member.

First people never ever vote on a rigorous criteria they vote based on who they like more, collectively this is who is more popular and likeable. Voting is just a popularity contest and the results never ever reflect on what is actually the case. Voting fails.

Even if we grant your dubious assertion that people vote perfectly, it is still as you say "who they think", it is subjective and can never be objective and factual but maybe thats being too pragmatic about it so I'll leave the point in this paragraph.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 7:57:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 7:49:02 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:29:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.

Dingus, people vote for who they think should be in the hall of fame based on how much theyve contributed .... They dont vote on who they think is the most popular member.

First people never ever vote on a rigorous criteria they vote based on who they like more, collectively this is who is more popular and likeable. Voting is just a popularity contest and the results never ever reflect on what is actually the case. Voting fails.

Even if we grant your dubious assertion that people vote perfectly, it is still as you say "who they think", it is subjective and can never be objective and factual but maybe thats being too pragmatic about it so I'll leave the point in this paragraph.

Of I get it. You just hate democracy or any form of popular vote since you always advocated an Islamic Theocratic state for everything....

That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:23:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.

The question was for Ahmed because unlike you I actually care for what he has to say.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:25:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:23:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.

The question was for Ahmed because unlike you I actually care for what he has to say.

That's nice.

Would you elect the POTUS based on what the majority of ignorant voters say?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:33:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:25:55 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:23:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.

The question was for Ahmed because unlike you I actually care for what he has to say.

That's nice.

Would you elect the POTUS based on what the majority of ignorant voters say?

Seeing as how ignorance is subjective to ones own point of view and that really the only other way to transition power from one leader to another outside of any form of democracy is through monarchy or a dictatorship, I am inclined to say yes.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:35:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:33:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:25:55 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:23:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.

The question was for Ahmed because unlike you I actually care for what he has to say.

That's nice.

Would you elect the POTUS based on what the majority of ignorant voters say?

Seeing as how ignorance is subjective to ones own point of view and that really the only other way to transition power from one leader to another outside of any form of democracy is through monarchy or a dictatorship, I am inclined to say yes.

So no electoral college?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:39:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Zaradi wrote:
while acing "Through The Fire And The Flames" on Guitar Hero 3 on expert using only my left foot.

I would pay good money to see this in Cirq de Soleil and go home happy.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:41:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:39:49 PM, Ren wrote:
Zaradi wrote:
while acing "Through The Fire And The Flames" on Guitar Hero 3 on expert using only my left foot.

I would pay good money to see this in Cirq de Soleil and go home happy.

Bahahahhaha!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 8:43:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 8:35:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:33:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:25:55 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:23:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 8:21:16 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?"

If this was actually important, yes.

The question was for Ahmed because unlike you I actually care for what he has to say.

That's nice.

Would you elect the POTUS based on what the majority of ignorant voters say?

Seeing as how ignorance is subjective to ones own point of view and that really the only other way to transition power from one leader to another outside of any form of democracy is through monarchy or a dictatorship, I am inclined to say yes.

So no electoral college?

I dont mind the electoral college that much. Wait what does that have to do with how people are inducted into the DDO hall of fame?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 9:05:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The electoral college means that the US isn't democratic.

I don't know how we got here :P
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 10:21:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 7:57:21 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:49:02 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:29:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.

Dingus, people vote for who they think should be in the hall of fame based on how much theyve contributed .... They dont vote on who they think is the most popular member.

First people never ever vote on a rigorous criteria they vote based on who they like more, collectively this is who is more popular and likeable. Voting is just a popularity contest and the results never ever reflect on what is actually the case. Voting fails.

Even if we grant your dubious assertion that people vote perfectly, it is still as you say "who they think", it is subjective and can never be objective and factual but maybe thats being too pragmatic about it so I'll leave the point in this paragraph.

Of I get it. You just hate democracy or any form of popular vote since you always advocated an Islamic Theocratic state for everything....

That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?

This is what you do when I point out the flaws in a framework or argument you hold to, you attack me personally and then my argument is somehow false.

I would like to inform that this is a logical fallacy. It is called an "ad hominem". It is Latin for "to the man". Basically, an ad hominem is when you attack the personal beliefs of someone and conclude that their argument is false rather than attacking their argument and concluding their argument is false.

You should read more about this over here [http://www.nizkor.org...] and see why why your logic is not sound.

If you read over the article you'll see why I accused you of making this basic fallacy. Instead of responding to the arguments that I gave against the system by which you determine hall of famers you essentially responded that i am wrong because I believe in an Islamic theocracy. This is irrelevant as to the weakness of your system.

I would advise you to readjust your response so it doesn't commit this fallacy or others. I also suggest for you to educate yourself more on some of these common fallacies in dialectics.
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:08:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Fine then, hows this.

You claim that people vote only for the people they like the most, yet Izbo got voted in despite being perhaps the least likeble person on all of DDO. How could someone who is almost universally hated be voted into a hall of fame if people only voted for those that they liked?

You claim that people vote only for the people they like the most who havent contributed to the site, but as you can see from the first class of inductees, all of them have contributed to the site one way or another which defeats your argument that only popular people get into the hall of fame rather then people who earned it.

What system would you prefer for admission to the Hall of Fame anyways?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:55:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 10:21:22 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:57:21 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:49:02 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:29:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 7:11:33 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
In the end, Hall of Famers are decided through popular vote. That means they are not in the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the site and intelligence but because of how popular they are.

Dingus, people vote for who they think should be in the hall of fame based on how much theyve contributed .... They dont vote on who they think is the most popular member.

First people never ever vote on a rigorous criteria they vote based on who they like more, collectively this is who is more popular and likeable. Voting is just a popularity contest and the results never ever reflect on what is actually the case. Voting fails.

Even if we grant your dubious assertion that people vote perfectly, it is still as you say "who they think", it is subjective and can never be objective and factual but maybe thats being too pragmatic about it so I'll leave the point in this paragraph.

Of I get it. You just hate democracy or any form of popular vote since you always advocated an Islamic Theocratic state for everything....

That is how you would handle this right? Have someone decide who goes in and nobody else being able to have any say in it?

This is what you do when I point out the flaws in a framework or argument you hold to, you attack me personally and then my argument is somehow false.

I would like to inform that this is a logical fallacy. It is called an "ad hominem". It is Latin for "to the man". Basically, an ad hominem is when you attack the personal beliefs of someone and conclude that their argument is false rather than attacking their argument and concluding their argument is false.

You should read more about this over here [http://www.nizkor.org...] and see why why your logic is not sound.

If you read over the article you'll see why I accused you of making this basic fallacy. Instead of responding to the arguments that I gave against the system by which you determine hall of famers you essentially responded that i am wrong because I believe in an Islamic theocracy. This is irrelevant as to the weakness of your system.

I would advise you to readjust your response so it doesn't commit this fallacy or others. I also suggest for you to educate yourself more on some of these common fallacies in dialectics.

There's a difference between saying "You're wrong because you're a fvcking idiot" (AdHom) and saying "You're wrong, here's why, also you're a fvcking idiot" (General DDO Conduct).
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Viper-King
Posts: 4,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:29:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/13/2012 7:31:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/13/2012 1:35:29 PM, Viper-King wrote:
Thanks everyone. The president and I have been working together for the Hall of Fame and I will be moderating it. Unfortunately, it does take time so hopefully it will be in by 3 months next time instead of 5.

All of those submissions were written by either Me, Rob1million, Logic_on_rails, and Airmax himself,
Who said I wrote something? You did, not I. Nice try at spinning lies and twisting them.
then Airmax used his mod powers to introduce the first class of inductees by himself.
Who said I introduced them?
I doubt you have had any recent involvement in the Hall of Fame
Your own personal doubts have nothing to do with facts.
so dont try and take all the credit.
Where did I take all the credit for myself?

I won't attempt to go at your personal record because it is controversial enough and I respect you as an individual.

But nice try at discrediting me and implying I have done nothing. When did I say I wrote those? Nice try, Imabench. Airmax used his mod powers to introduce the class. Yes, I have had recent involvement in the Hall of Fame. Who moderated the election? Who recommended different people to write the submissions? Who discussed with Airmax1227 about what work needed to be done? Where did I take all the credit? No offense, Imabench but you need to stop having so many underlying assumptions when the HoF moderator says that they're going to try to improve it.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 1:46:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One of my key accomplishments while president that lacked any mention was my creation of the trial process here. Although the trial process is mentioned, it was probably one of the achievements I am most personally proud of that I do take credit. I'm not interested in very much recognition of very many things, but this was something that I feel will have an on going impact on the site and how we resolve problems.