Want to hear a joke?

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:05:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
William Shakespeare.

He is the single most overrated human who ever existed. All he did was make up a bunch of words because his audience was illiterate (which then became common phrases, hence he "invented" them) and he took his plot and tragedy elements from old stories. Please tell me- why do people still worship this cretin?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:14:37 PM
I heard there was a joke?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 8:32:01 PM
At 11/15/2012 8:14:37 PM, phantom wrote:
I heard there was a joke?

I didn't say it would be funny.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 9:05:34 PM
Nobody in society values the opinion of a high school dropout.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 9:06:35 PM
At 11/15/2012 9:05:34 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Q: Is that mean or true?

A: It's both.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 9:49:53 PM

Too bad for me, I guess. I'm still right.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2012 11:35:12 PM
At 11/15/2012 9:49:53 PM, MouthWash wrote:

No you're wrong.

Shakespeare had a way with words. Iambic pentameter is not something easy to achieve. Ever tried writing in it? Ever tried writing entire works in it? His comedy was hilarious. His poems moving. His adaptations thrilling and powerful.

Read Julius Caesar. I'd love to see you "make up" and "adapt" a compelling play as powerful as Shakespeare's.

Tell me the emotions and struggles of Hamlet are just sub-par.

Your thoughts about Shakespeare only begets your ignorance on the subject. You probably can't even read him correctly. You have to get immersed in the language. The characters are so vibrant and real. It's amazing.

You seriously look like an idiot for saying what you said.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 8:57:32 AM
At 11/15/2012 11:35:12 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

No you're wrong.

Shakespeare had a way with words. Iambic pentameter is not something easy to achieve. Ever tried writing in it? Ever tried writing entire works in it? His comedy was hilarious. His poems moving. His adaptations thrilling and powerful.

Read Julius Caesar. I'd love to see you "make up" and "adapt" a compelling play as powerful as Shakespeare's.

Your thoughts about Shakespeare only begets your ignorance on the subject. You probably can't even read him correctly. You have to get immersed in the language. The characters are so vibrant and real. It's amazing.

I really wish I knew Shakespearean English so that I could have an appropriate comeback to this. Forsooth! (or whatever; I'm just trolling. But he still gets too much credit.)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:14:46 AM

LOL, that's so mean.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:21:55 AM
Yeah, but we're talking about a "society" that idolizes Shakespeare, so right there we get a hint of what we're dealing with.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:24:18 AM

Albert Einstein, Henry Ford, Walt Disney, John Rockefeller.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:37:45 AM
At 11/16/2012 9:24:18 AM, Ren wrote:

Disney???
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 9:44:37 AM
At 11/16/2012 9:37:45 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Disney???

Not any more. in the 1900's a , today's high school's drop out would be well off.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 10:19:29 AM

Really?

For your information, William Skakespeare dropped out of school when he was 14.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 12:19:52 PM
At 11/16/2012 10:19:29 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Really?

1400 AD century High School = College Today.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 12:59:03 PM

Lol, that was win.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 1:02:51 PM

No you're wrong.

This, and their sense of humor was also different back then. Read a copy of TwelfthNight (one of his comedies) with the notes on the sides and you'll really see he had a brilliant wit even if it takes the notes for you to understand it.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 1:05:05 PM

I do!

Then again, nobody values me, either.

Oh, well. Carry on.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 2:42:27 PM
At 11/16/2012 12:19:52 PM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:

Really?

kfc
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 5:02:25 PM

Really?

The fact that he was educated until age 14 is impressive for the time period, very impressive.

Come on people, use a little historical perspective.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:00:28 PM

No you're wrong.

I agree with the OP. Most of Shakespeare's plays are overrated and involve people making up things he probably never intended. Romeo and Juliet is a joke. Othello is awful. Hamlet is the worst of all. Twelfth Night was the only good one.

Shakespeare's sonnets are the best thing about him. Other than that...
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:04:01 PM
At 11/16/2012 6:00:28 PM, tulle wrote:

No you're wrong.

I agree with the OP. Most of Shakespeare's plays are overrated and involve people making up things he probably never intended. Romeo and Juliet is a joke. Othello is awful. Hamlet is the worst of all. Twelfth Night was the only good one.

BULLSH!T!!!!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:42:53 PM
At 11/16/2012 12:19:52 PM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:

Really?

For your information, William Shakespeare dropped out of school when he was 14.

Nope, that just isn't true, in Elizabethan England boys generally attended "grammar" school till they graduated at around the age of 14 or 15, and then attended University after that. Shakespeare dropped out of school before graduating and couldn't continue his education at University because of his father's financial problems.

I'm not saying I appreciate Shakespeare or anything, reading it makes me want to kill myself, but it is a fact that he was the Elizabethan England equivalent of a high school drop out.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2012 6:47:17 PM
At 11/16/2012 6:41:09 PM, tulle wrote:
Dark, he just talked and talked and talked. Even when he was dying it was like WHY ARE YOU DEAD ALREADY STFU :p

A story about murder and betrayl is pretty awesome. I thought Hamlet was pretty bad@ss. But I was 16 when I read it so who knows what I'd think about it if I read it today.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 8:44:18 AM
I enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Sonnets, most notably.

I thought Shakespeare was a pretty great writer. There are few with such a skilled pen and easily distinguishable voice.

Though, I do have to impress that most Elizabethan drama and literature sounded akin. There were a lot of musical undertones and characteristics native to that period in drama. This was likely because all writing was most often performed -- the majority of everyone weren't literate.

Which leads me to my next point -- what is all this about people being more educated than they are now?? That's silliness; up until the Victorian age, only the upper class was literate. For us, that's essentially $500k +. Anyone making less didn't get an education. There were far, far less people on the planet back then, and the illiterate population was still a significantly larger proportion of the overall population than it is today.

So, consider this: the majority of those who loved Shakespeare's plays enough to love and immortalize them only heard them, and still understood them, because they were illiterate and thus, couldn't read them.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 8:59:37 AM
At 11/16/2012 6:00:28 PM, tulle wrote:

No you're wrong.

fuuuuuuuk that! Shakespeare was great! Romeo and Julet was great, Hamlet was perfect, and Julius Caesar and Macbeth were the best!
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."