Jump to topic:

Everything you know is wrong.

regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 7:15:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This thread is to give examples of things that are generally accepted as true, but is dead wrong.

I'll start:

- Eskimoes have dozens or hundred words for "snow".
WRONG! First of all there is not one Eskimo language, there are many. And they do not have unusually many words for snow. Also remember that almost any language from countries that have snow will have multiple words for snow. English has at least four non-compound words (snow, sleet, slush, frost, maybe you English people can up with more) and Swedish has at least five (snö, slask, skare, modd, frost) that Eskimoes maybe have a couple of more doesn't sound so shocking. But these do not make up hundreds or even dozens different words.

- The economic crisis was caused by deregulation during Bush.
WRONG! In fact, in average the Bush administration create 210 pages of extra financial regulation. PER DAY!
(Source http://www.amazon.com... )

- You get a cold from being cold.
WRONG! Colds are more common in Winter, but that has more to do with people staying inside, and kids going to school, and therefore the germs gets spread around more.

Now: Your turn!
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 7:52:26 AM
At 10/8/2009 7:18:04 AM, Puck wrote:
^^
http://alt-usage-english.org...

Well, that at least proves the theory. :) If there is a lot of something you'll have more words for it. England. Such lovely weather.
So prove me wrong, then.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 8:08:11 AM

Do you know that?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 8:15:14 AM
At 10/8/2009 8:08:11 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Do you know that?

Nope. And I still don't!
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 12:51:19 PM
At 10/8/2009 9:07:43 AM, regebro wrote:
Yes, everything you know is wrong.
Now shut up, stop complaining and give examples. :-)

I'm a brain in vat, you guys are all fictional :D
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 1:30:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Some of my favorites:

Columbus's efforts to obtain support for his voyages were not hampered by a European belief in a flat Earth. In fact, sailors and navigators of the time knew that the Earth is spherical, but (correctly) disagreed with Columbus' estimates of the distance to India.

It is a common misconception that seasons are caused by the Earth being closer to the Sun in the summer than in the winter. In fact, the Earth is actually farther from the Sun when it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere. Seasons are actually the result of the Earth being tilted on its axis by 23.5 degrees.

There is no single theory that satisfactorily explains myopia—in particular, studies show that so-called eyestrain from close reading and computer games does not explain myopia. There is also no evidence that reading in dim light or sitting close to a television causes vision to deteriorate.

Sugar does not cause hyperactivity in children. Double blind trials have shown no difference in behaviour between children given sugar full or sugar-free diets, even in studies specifically looking at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder or those considered "sensitive" to sugar.

The claim[70] that a duck's quack does not echo is false, although the echo may be difficult to hear for humans under some circumstances.

The notion that goldfish have a memory of only three seconds is completely false.[72][73] They have been trained to navigate mazes and can recognize their owners after an exposure of a few months.

Mammal blood is bright red or scarlet when oxygenated and a darker red when not oxygenated. It is never blue. Veins appear blue through the skin because of differential absorption of wavelengths of the blood's color by the overlying skin and flesh.

Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb.[114] He did, however, develop the first practical light bulb, contemporaneously with Joseph Swan.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 2:26:40 PM
At 10/8/2009 1:30:58 PM, MTGandP wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Oooh!

Columbus's efforts to obtain support for his voyages were not hampered by a European belief in a flat Earth. In fact, sailors and navigators of the time knew that the Earth is spherical, but (correctly) disagreed with Columbus' estimates of the distance to India.

Yeah, good one.

The claim[70] that a duck's quack does not echo is false, although the echo may be difficult to hear for humans under some circumstances.

Mythbusters FTW!

The notion that goldfish have a memory of only three seconds is completely false.[72][73] They have been trained to navigate mazes and can recognize their owners after an exposure of a few months.

Whaddayounkow.

Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb.[114] He did, however, develop the first practical light bulb, contemporaneously with Joseph Swan.

Right: Another good one is James Watt who did not invent the steam engine. He did however invent the separate condenser, and hence made steam engines use only a fourth as much fuel. He also used his patent to block further development for 25 years.

I like the claim that you can see the great wall of China from the moon. Completely nutters. You can't even see it from low earth orbit without binoculars.
So prove me wrong, then.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 3:09:53 PM
What a coincidence man. I just finished reading a book called "A Book of General Ignorance" or some such, there were many things I thought I knew but which were entirely false. Was a good eye-opener.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 3:42:33 PM
Im not a loser, i just have high expectations, thats why i cant get a girlfriend.

WRONG!
You are infact a loser, to which not even the fattest, ugliest bimbo whore tramp would never ever think of touching you. You would have to pay a hooker twice the amount she usually charges in order for her to even consider talking to you.

Im not a virgin.

WRONG!
You are infact a virgin, and a loser. Sorry, having sex with your palm doesnt count, nor does having a screensaver with a hot model spreading out.
philosphical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 6:57:34 PM
this is probably a stupid question but what does 'FTW' actually stand for? i have seen it been used alot in the misc. forum
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2009 6:59:50 PM
At 10/8/2009 6:57:34 PM, philosphical wrote:
this is probably a stupid question but what does 'FTW' actually stand for? i have seen it been used alot in the misc. forum

For The Win