Jump to topic:

Idealism

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2009 5:07:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
For those of you who don't know, Idealism is the philosophical belief that all that really exists are minds and their ideas.

Idealism hasn't really been a prevalent philosophical belief since the 1700s, and if your an idealist then your most likely a theist (I've never met an idealistic atheist).

So, is idealism a justified philosophical stance?

I really don't know much about the whole "mind-body problem", but if asked if I was a materialist, idealist, or dualist, I'd probably respond by saying that I'm an idealist.

Idealism makes sense on the following grounds:

1) The world is only what we perceive it to be. There might be a giant furry monster in the room, but if I don't perceive it, it might as well not be there. So, what makes a giant furry monster different from a computer, or a rock? Not really all that much. It's impossible to prove 100% the existence of anything, so, isn't all that is there only what we actually THINK is there?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2009 5:19:01 PM
You need to clarify. There have been various idealist movements that involved politics, religion, etc. Ex: Idealist movement in the US from 1910 to mid 1920's. Is this only limited to theology?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2009 6:09:56 PM
Feel free to test this out by standing in front of a speeding train and thinking it is just a big happy bubble that will burst. Tell me when and where and I'll try to be there to tell your red smear, you were quite wrong.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2009 10:53:54 PM
At 10/18/2009 5:07:08 PM, Republican95 wrote:
So, is idealism a justified philosophical stance?

Idealism, in your interpretation of it, is only compatible with the idea that all of reality is a manufacture of my consciousness and that nobody else exists. Because if we all actually exists but reality is made up of just our thoughts, then we should then live in different realities, and if that's the case, then what the heck are you guys doing in my reality?

So, no it doesn't add up. Also, if I'm hallucinating reality, why can't I hallucinate something better? :-)

Since I can not change how reality looks or behaves just by wishing or believing, we must conclude that reality is objective, that is that it exists outside and without my mind. And there seems no reason to think that it's different from anyone else, as no magician who can change the laws of reality has shown up.
So prove me wrong, then.