Jump to topic:

Gangnam Style 1,000,000,000 Views

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 3:59:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Gangnam Style became the first video on YouTube to receive 1,000,000,000 views. It did so on December 21st, 2012, just as Nostadamus predicted:

"From the calm morning, the end will come,
when of the dancing horse, the number
of circles will be nine."

Let's go through this step by step:
Calm morning = Korea. A notoriously calm part of the world. Which has mornings. Pretty much every day, in fact.
The end will come = December 21, the doomsday date predicted in an ancient Mayan calendar.
The dancing horse = Psy's galloping groove.

Really, I just think it's amazing how viral Gangnam Style became. A billion views is momentous.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:32:46 PM
And this is what I hate about society's taste in music.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:39:27 PM
Stupid Koreans. Stop making stupid sounding music and amines and go back to making my clothes.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:46:13 PM
At 12/21/2012 3:59:18 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Gangnam Style became the first video on YouTube to receive 1,000,000,000 views. It did so on December 21st, 2012, just as Nostadamus predicted:

Calm morning = Korea. A notoriously calm part of the world. Which has mornings. Pretty much every day, in fact.
The end will come = December 21, the doomsday date predicted in an ancient Mayan calendar.

Really, I just think it's amazing how viral Gangnam Style became. A billion views is momentous.

Yup. Nice analogy, lol :D
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:50:16 PM
At 12/21/2012 4:39:27 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Stupid Koreans. Stop making stupid sounding music and amines and go back to making my clothes.

Japanese make animes you fvcking racist cunt.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 4:56:40 PM
Can any one tell me why?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 5:04:37 PM
At 12/21/2012 4:32:46 PM, RationalMadman wrote:

If the video was merely music with a blank background, the video would have scarcely garnered a million views. The catalyst for the views was a combination of interesting visuals, a fun dance, and a good song; this creative originality propelled the video into incredibly widespread popularity. Lastly, ask yourself if you would rather have had a Justin Beiber song acquire the first billion-view title?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:09:17 PM
At 12/21/2012 5:04:37 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

If the video was merely music with a blank background, the video would have scarcely garnered a million views. The catalyst for the views was a combination of interesting visuals, a fun dance, and a good song; this creative originality propelled the video into incredibly widespread popularity. Lastly, ask yourself if you would rather have had a Justin Beiber song acquire the first billion-view title?

I would rather neither have it.
Something like Charley Bit My Finger should have gotten it. It's still the most viewed non-music video I think.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:11:16 PM
coincidentally when the youtube viewership goes to 1 billion, the program automatically sets detonation of all the nuclear weapons on earth within 24 hours.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:22:08 PM
At 12/21/2012 4:50:16 PM, RationalMadman wrote:

Dude, we all know that Amuricuh stopped caring about the Asians after they nuked the island version of asia. They're all asian.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:25:40 PM

Yeah, the Koreans make Manhwa.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:26:30 PM
I, in my episkoposory glory, do ordain Psy as The Official Discordian Saint of the Mayans.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:26:34 PM
At 12/21/2012 11:22:08 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Dude, we all know that Amuricuh stopped caring about the Asians after they nuked the island version of asia. They're all asian.

Tell that to the Koreans and Japanese that still think they are fighting against each other in WW2 on Starcraft.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:49:07 PM
pretty sure that Nostradamus wasnt the one who said that quote though
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 11:54:40 PM
At 12/21/2012 3:59:18 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

hahaha!!! Hilarious. And yeah, the popularity of it is astounding... have you seen videos of this song in concert? It's insane.... thousands and thousands of people doing a horse dance in unison... Psy fans are going to be like Dethclock fans some day....

p.s. you forgot, the number of circles will be nine = number of zeros in the youtube views
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 12:19:13 AM
At 12/21/2012 11:26:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Tell that to the Koreans and Japanese that still think they are fighting against each other in WW2 on Starcraft.

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 12:19:23 AM
At 12/21/2012 11:09:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Something like Charley Bit My Finger should have gotten it. It's still the most viewed non-music video I think.

K. A few hundred million people thought otherwise.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 12:58:55 AM
At 12/22/2012 12:19:23 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 12/21/2012 11:09:17 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

K. A few hundred million people thought otherwise.

So what?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 1:02:05 AM

#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 1:34:48 PM
Freddie Mercury predicted that Psy would get a billion views. This is his letter to Psy.

"Psy, Congratulations on getting a billion views. It's a good thing you weren't around in my day, because if you were, you would be lesser lived and less original than Vanilla Ice.

Sincerely, the creator of music,
Frederick Mercury"
#FeeltheFreezerBern
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 2:25:57 PM
At 12/22/2012 1:34:48 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Freddie Mercury predicted that Psy would get a billion views. This is his letter to Psy.

"Psy, Congratulations on getting a billion views. It's a good thing you weren't around in my day, because if you were, you would be lesser lived and less original than Vanilla Ice.

Frederick Mercury"

Barry Manilow IS music.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 3:31:46 PM
At 12/22/2012 2:25:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 12/22/2012 1:34:48 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Frederick Mercury"

Barry Manilow IS music.

Yeah, no. Freddie Mercury created him to be the king of songs for kindergartners.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 7:55:27 PM

This is why the terrorists hate us.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 8:08:32 PM
Gangnam Style actually is also interesting because it's a bit of social commentary on South Korean status/culture.

Basically, there's a district in Seoul called Gangnam which is basically the high end/"ultrarich" district of Seoul. Psy is commenting on the prevalence of less-rich South Koreans who try to act like they're from Gangnam and stylish, but are really anything but:

"People who are actually from Gangnam never proclaim that they are"it's only the posers and wannabes that put on these airs and say that they are 'Gangnam Style'"so this song is actually poking fun at those kinds of people who are trying so hard to be something that they're not." - Psy
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:46:05 PM
At 12/22/2012 8:08:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Gangnam Style actually is also interesting because it's a bit of social commentary on South Korean status/culture.

Basically, there's a district in Seoul called Gangnam which is basically the high end/"ultrarich" district of Seoul. Psy is commenting on the prevalence of less-rich South Koreans who try to act like they're from Gangnam and stylish, but are really anything but:

"People who are actually from Gangnam never proclaim that they are"it's only the posers and wannabes that put on these airs and say that they are 'Gangnam Style'"so this song is actually poking fun at those kinds of people who are trying so hard to be something that they're not." - Psy

Thanks for posting this.

I'm generally indifferent to what constitutes popular music this days (I often just don't 'get it') but this song while consisting of a pretty typical electronic beat that's fun to dance to (for those of us who don't understand the lyrics) is actually far more noteworthy for what it's actually saying.

It's really interesting for its social commentary, something that most of us may not be aware of otherwise if this song hadn't become as popular as it has.

http://www.theatlantic.com...

"The video is "a satire about Gangnam itself but also it's about how people outside Gangnam pursue their dream to be one of those Gangnam residents without even realizing what it really means," Kim explained to me when I got in touch with her. Koreans "really wanted to be one of them," but she says that feeling is changing, and "Gangnam Style" captures people's ambivalence."

"Psy hits all the symbols of Gangnam opulence, but each turns out to be something much more modest, as if suggesting that Gangnam-style wealth is not as fabulous as it might seem. We think he's at a beach in the opening shot, but it turns out to be a sandy playground. He visits a sauna not with big-shot businessmen but with mobsters, Kim points out, and dances not in a nightclub but on a bus of middle-aged tourists. He meets his love interest in the subway. Kim thinks that Psy's strut though a parking garage, two models at his side as trash and snow fly at them, is meant as a nod to the common rap-video trope of the star walking down a red carpet covered in confetti. "I think he's pointing out the ridiculousness of the materialism," Hong said."

"Kim seemed to feel the same way about the video, though it's so cheery on the surface. "He was satirizing more than just this one neighborhood," she told me. On her blog, she suggested the video portrayed the Gangnam area, a symbol of South Korea's national aspirations for prosperity and status, as "nothing but materialistic and about people who are chasing rainbows." Pretty heavy for a viral pop hit. "
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:50:43 PM
That sounds like the plot to a really bad self-improvement best seller.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:53:37 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:50:43 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Wut?
richarddong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 8:16:14 PM
do you plsy starcraft 2? if you do invite me my name is Blacksnake and my character code is... wait let me check.
At 12/22/2012 1:02:05 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 9:47:52 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:53:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 12/23/2012 7:50:43 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Wut?

*cough* The Secret *cough*
#FeeltheFreezerBern