Jump to topic:

What May Happen in the Next Century

JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 2:20:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I stumbled upon an interesting article written around the turn of the twentieth century. The article made predictions about what the world may look like with the passage of another century. Here is a link to the article:
http://blogoscoped.com...

A lot of the predictions are startlingly true, if somewhat off on the details.

This gave me the idea to develop one from the membership at DDO. What does everyone here think will happen over the course of another century? I'll make some of my own after a few people have responded.

If there is enough interest I will compile the more interesting/plausible ones into an article on DDOFans for posterity.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 2:27:20 PM
At 10/22/2009 2:20:37 PM, JBlake wrote:
I stumbled upon an interesting article written around the turn of the twentieth century. The article made predictions about what the world may look like with the passage of another century. Here is a link to the article:

This gave me the idea to develop one from the membership at DDO. What does everyone here think will happen over the course of another century? I'll make some of my own after a few people have responded.

If there is enough interest I will compile the more interesting/plausible ones into an article on DDOFans for posterity.

Whoa! That's pretty damn accurate in some areas.

My predictions:

- Downfall of Religion. God will be proven or disproven, and people will turn to Theism or Atheism, but not religious institutions.

- Robots will replaces man on the battlefield.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 2:43:10 PM
Interesting, I could make some predictions.

Lets see...

In terms of birth rates around the world, the US will see a small bump in its birth rate (due to more poverty in the country, which will increase) but not anything significant. Europe will continue to stabilize where it is now, as will China. Russia will increase its birth rate from the negative it is at now, into positive territory. Africa will continue with its high birth rate, while a slow burn will occur in South America and India.

In terms of global economy, the US will most likely see its fortunes continue to decrease until it stabilizes at a certain point, lower than late 20th Century growth but higher than 1920's. China will continue to grow, as will India, but it will be doubtful if they can actually rival US economic power. The EU will most likely stabilize from the outset, barring any increased trade with BRIC. I have no idea how others will act.

Militarily, the arms race in South America will continue until war breaks out between two countries, most likely Colombia and Venezuela, if they continue on their same path of deteriorating relations. Russia will most likely invade another former satellite, but no European ones. China may go to war, or at least small military tiffs, over the Spratly Islands and other small, resource-laden, and diplomatically-unresolved areas. UN, or AU, peacekeepers will be sent into Zimbabwe. North Korea will collapse and implode on itself when Kim Jong-Il dies, unless his son proves strong enough to reign in warring generals. Europe will not see another war, unless imposed from external forces. There will be another "revolution" in South or Central America, especially after the war.

Politically, I see 100 years of Liberal Party rule in Canada. :D

Kidding. Democrats and Republicans in the US will most likely become more equal in terms of power, instead of the usual Republican dominance. The Democrats may supersede Republicans, if Obama's presidency goes well. There will probably be a third-party rising, and most likely based on paleo-conservatism. Europe will continue to waffle between Social Democracy and Christian Democracy, with more power going to the latter. Russia will eventually see the end of United Russia's dominance, but no idea what will replace it. South Africa will eventually turf the ANC. The Chinese Communist Party will continue to dominate, but they'll become increasingly more capitalist. Kosovo will be recognized fully. Turkey will become apart of the EU.

And yeah, thats all for now.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 2:47:12 PM

I don't know. A lot of it seems pretty far-fetched and fantastical. I mean, 50 years ago people were thinking some of the same things about us and it has yet to happen. Some areas seem possible but overall its a just a bunch of random predictions that might or might not happen depending up thousands of variables.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:03:34 PM
At 10/22/2009 2:47:12 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

I don't know. A lot of it seems pretty far-fetched and fantastical. I mean, 50 years ago people were thinking some of the same things about us and it has yet to happen. Some areas seem possible but overall its a just a bunch of random predictions that might or might not happen depending up thousands of variables.

Well, that's why the topic is what MAY happen in the next century. :P Obviously, we can't predict the future with 100% accuracy.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:10:53 PM
@crackofdawn

Did you even read the article? It isn't about what will happen 100 years from now, but 100 years from 1900. That means today. And a lot of the predictions were spot on (except for small details - ie air coming out of 'spigots' to control temperature in houses). Of course many of the predictions were just wrong, which you would expect from such guessing. The author didn't pretend to have knowledge of what it would be, he was making guesses.

I posted this here because I think it would be a fun and entertaining project.

@Volkov
I think you are underestimating the length of a century. A lot of what you mentioned seem like they would be better placed in a prediction for 30 - 50 years from now, not 100. Think of how far things have come since the author of the original article wrote. But I suppose little o slower change is a valid prediction. I disagree, but you are entitled to that view :)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:17:16 PM
As long as I'm entitled to it.

But, I did that for a very specific reason; once you get beyond 50 years, realistic projections are pretty impossible. Fifty years is different; by looking at what is happening now, you can see the trend that are occurring. Political trends usually have a shelf life of about 30 to 50 years, while economic trends are even shorter. Once you get beyond that, you get into the realm of predictions war far out there.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:19:34 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:17:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
As long as I'm entitled to it.

But, I did that for a very specific reason; once you get beyond 50 years, realistic projections are pretty impossible. Fifty years is different; by looking at what is happening now, you can see the trend that are occurring. Political trends usually have a shelf life of about 30 to 50 years, while economic trends are even shorter. Once you get beyond that, you get into the realm of predictions war far out there.

You are correct. But that is precisely why predicting 100 years into the future is also fun. Use your imagination :)
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:27:02 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:10:53 PM, JBlake wrote:
@crackofdawn

Did you even read the article? It isn't about what will happen 100 years from now, but 100 years from 1900. That means today. And a lot of the predictions were spot on (except for small details - ie air coming out of 'spigots' to control temperature in houses). Of course many of the predictions were just wrong, which you would expect from such guessing. The author didn't pretend to have knowledge of what it would be, he was making guesses.

I posted this here because I think it would be a fun and entertaining project.

@Volkov
I think you are underestimating the length of a century. A lot of what you mentioned seem like they would be better placed in a prediction for 30 - 50 years from now, not 100. Think of how far things have come since the author of the original article wrote. But I suppose little o slower change is a valid prediction. I disagree, but you are entitled to that view :)

Were we reading the same article? A lot of those predictions were way off.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:27:05 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:19:34 PM, JBlake wrote:
You are correct. But that is precisely why predicting 100 years into the future is also fun. Use your imagination :)

Well, if you want to be that silly about it...

I predict we'll have manned bases on both the Moon and Mars, and possibly manned trips to Jupiter's moons. We'll also have a majority of vehicles in the First World running on a product other than oil, though oil will most likely remain a very used back-up fuel. Korea will be unified. Christian persons in most Western countries will edge below 50%, while other religions will continue at their current pace, and atheist/agnostics will increase to probably 20-30% of the population, if not closer to 40%.

Thats all for now.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:29:19 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:27:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/22/2009 3:19:34 PM, JBlake wrote:

Well, if you want to be that silly about it...

I predict we'll have manned bases on both the Moon and Mars, and possibly manned trips to Jupiter's moons. We'll also have a majority of vehicles in the First World running on a product other than oil, though oil will most likely remain a very used back-up fuel. Korea will be unified. Christian persons in most Western countries will edge below 50%, while other religions will continue at their current pace, and atheist/agnostics will increase to probably 20-30% of the population, if not closer to 40%.

Thats all for now.

None of those are that far-fetched...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:31:58 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:29:19 PM, JBlake wrote:

What do you want me to say, we'll have flying cars and be pure energy? I'm a pragmatist - even my imagination is slightly grounded in reality.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:34:41 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:31:58 PM, Volkov wrote:

What do you want me to say, we'll have flying cars and be pure energy? I'm a pragmatist - even my imagination is slightly grounded in reality.

What I meant by that was that those were great. You said they were silly. I didn't think they were silly and far fetched for a 100 year time span.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:35:50 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:34:41 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 10/22/2009 3:31:58 PM, Volkov wrote:

What I meant by that was that those were great. You said they were silly. I didn't think they were silly and far fetched for a 100 year time span.

Double Post
Those were exactly what I was looking for. Something plausible for over the next hundred years. Great job. Keep them coming!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 4:40:12 PM
Wow, that was a really cool article, JBlake!

Hmm... a suggestion by me? How about...

In 100 years we will be able to carry our vehicles in our pockets after we are done traveling.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 5:04:49 PM
Prediction: Only the poorest countries will have schools. Kids in most countries will learn information based on request and their chosen major viturally/at home vs going to a central location.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 5:09:27 PM
At 10/22/2009 5:04:49 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
Prediction: Only the poorest countries will have schools. Kids in most countries will learn information based on request and their chosen major viturally/at home vs going to a central location.

That's really interesting and not at all far-fetched.

To continue, I think we'll become completely dysfunctional social beings based on things like text messaging and our seemingly increasing complete reliance on technology to function. Also, I'm pretty sure that a virtual reality -- or many? -- will be created. It'll start with video games, and then expand once people realize they can create an entire market out of it. I predict virtual reality dating amongst other things.
President of DDO
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 5:24:14 PM

Thanks, that was really great to read. It's interesting to see what they got right and what they got wrong.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 5:58:41 PM
There will be No C, X, or Q in our everyday alphabet. They will be abandoned because unnecessary.
Right on target.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 6:00:14 PM
At 10/22/2009 5:09:27 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/22/2009 5:04:49 PM, SportsGuru wrote:

That's really interesting and not at all far-fetched.

To continue, I think we'll become completely dysfunctional social beings based on things like text messaging and our seemingly increasing complete reliance on technology to function. Also, I'm pretty sure that a virtual reality -- or many? -- will be created. It'll start with video games, and then expand once people realize they can create an entire market out of it. I predict virtual reality dating amongst other things.

Heheheh ok Aldous Huxley and the Wachowski brothers :p
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 6:01:59 PM
Nicaragua will ask for admission to our Union after the completion of the great canal. Mexico will be next.

The lols never stop.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 6:30:43 PM
At 10/22/2009 6:01:59 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Nicaragua will ask for admission to our Union after the completion of the great canal. Mexico will be next.

The lols never stop.

LMFAO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 7:15:54 PM
Technology
It will be possible read people's minds with stunning accuracy using hand-held fMRI machines. Of course, there will be much controversy over this because of the invasion of privacy.

Human vision and hearing will be greatly enhanced through the use of surgical implants. The deaf will be able to hear, the blind will be able to see. (see the accompanying video for an interesting take on this from Juan Enriquiz)

Medicine
Due to advances is cancer and other research, people will regularly live nearer or over 100. People will be able to enjoy healthy lives for a longer span. Centenarians will be much more common place.
tmhustler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 9:21:23 PM
my predictions there will be a huge rift between rich and poor
the rich will likely be able to live well over a hundred and the poor will likely not live past present average. things like virtual reality vacations. computer assisted intelligence for the rich. ultra fast rail travel.
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2009 4:40:03 AM

It's notable that almost all of the correct prediction did not happen within a hundred years, but much faster. It was extremely hard to predict a hundred years then, and it is has been harder.

Here are my positive prediction:

1. A League of Democracies will form of all democratic countries that with incentives such as increased free trade, agreements on mutual protection, and no foreign aid to dictatorships will increase the movement towards democracy. This in turn leads to
2. greatly lessened high level political corruption, which in turn leads to
3. the end of civil wars in Africa, which in turn leads to
4. democratic Africa and middle east, which in turn leads to
5. peace in the middle east and
6. the marginalization of terrorism and
7. the final fall of the last vestiges of socialism, and the end of anti-globalization and other leftist freedom-haters (although conservatism will remain). This in turns means that
8. the world will continue to globalize, and probably to so even faster. This leads to
9. increased free trade, which in turn leads to
10. an increase in prosperity which will be almost unimaginable, and
11. the end of poverty.

This process can, in best case, take 30 years. Worst case 100.

But this process is not inevitable. You can also get:

1. Another global crisis happens before we are fully out of this one.
2. In panic politicians around the world falls to populist pressures and end free trade and starts controlling the economy. This leads to
3. a world-wide massive depression, large parts of the world fall back into poverty and starvation.
4. as a result civil wars in Africa flare up, the conflict between relatively rich west and a poorer middle east increases, which leads to
5. a massive wave of terrorism in Europe, to which the politicians react with
6. massive restrictions on personal freedom, which creates,
7. riots which are beaten down with police and military, and politicians react by
8. restricting freedom of movement and expression, which leads to
9. the western worlds democracy ending and
10. the book 1984 becoming literal truth.

Both outcomes are possible. I'm doing what little I can to make the first version happening.

If we get into more technical predictions then:

1. Medicine will evolve until 90% of the population lives for a 100 years.
2. The end of computers as we know them. Instead everything will be connected to the Internet, and our whole life's and homes will be turned into one giant computer. You will always be connected, and alway get information from the computer. Every time you talk to a person you will be fed information about that person, not only name, but age, family, what they work with etc. No more forgetting who somebody is. When you talk about a topic, the computer will feed you information so that you always are updated about the topic.
3. Most people will have a manufacturing machine at home that can be used to create loads of awesome things (see http://reprap.org...)
4. In around 50 years, the first self-conscious machine will be created. In 70 years, there will be a self-conscious machine that is smarter than humans. There will be a global ban on creating consciousnesses. Not because it's wrong to play god, but because sooner or later somebody would connect the consciousness with the self-replicating machine, and we'd get a race of conscious mechanical beings that take over the world.
So prove me wrong, then.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 2:47:04 AM
In a hundred years time...

In the 'western' world.
Most people in will have been produced in artificial wombs, derived from whatever Genetic matierial their 'parent(s)' wish to purchase.
Bisexuality will be the majority.
Marriage will be effectively abolished, replaced in some instances by fix term contracts and financial packages.
Cosmetic surgery will be incredibly common.
We will all have personal jetpacks and go skiing on the moon.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:20:49 AM
At 10/25/2009 2:47:04 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
In a hundred years time...

In the 'western' world.
Most people in will have been produced in artificial wombs, derived from whatever Genetic matierial their 'parent(s)' wish to purchase.
Bisexuality will be the majority.
Marriage will be effectively abolished, replaced in some instances by fix term contracts and financial packages.
Cosmetic surgery will be incredibly common.
We will all have personal jetpacks and go skiing on the moon.

hahaha. Can' wait for those artificial wombs. lol