Jump to topic:

sci-fi ideas

natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 2:30:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Anyone got an idea that would make a cool sci-fi book/movie? I'm always coming up with random garbage and thinking, 'wow, I should a write as story like that', and then forgetting about it. doesn't even need a plot or anything, just an interesting premise. I can't really think of an example, I'll post if I do.
AmericanNazi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:09:52 PM
At 1/3/2013 2:30:44 PM, natoast wrote:
Anyone got an idea that would make a cool sci-fi book/movie? I'm always coming up with random garbage and thinking, 'wow, I should a write as story like that', and then forgetting about it. doesn't even need a plot or anything, just an interesting premise. I can't really think of an example, I'll post if I do.

Attack of the acid kfc.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:27:57 PM

Natural immortality is discovered, but we can't deal with it, psychologically (existential ennui, unable to process the amount of memories) leading people to enter extended periods of sleep as well as periodically wiping their memories. Basically, in eliminating death, people create it again artificially.
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:31:12 PM
At 1/3/2013 3:27:57 PM, drafterman wrote:

Natural immortality is discovered, but we can't deal with it, psychologically (existential ennui, unable to process the amount of memories) leading people to enter extended periods of sleep as well as periodically wiping their memories. Basically, in eliminating death, people create it again artificially.

I was actually thinking of something like that, but in the end it would turn out that this life is exactly that, like the whole planet is just a mortality resort for us immortals.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:49:34 PM
I don't take credit for this (it was on another site), but the concept is that a company has developed an effective method of cryopreservation (freezing organisms to prevent aging) and markets it towards parents. When they get tired of taking care of their babies/kids and want some time off, they can bring them to a cryopreservation tube and freeze them until they're ready to get back to their kids. However, many parents being doing this so often that it leads to a nationwide age-gap where you have 60-70 year old parents taking care of 4-5 year old children.