The end of the world

ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:45:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
My 6 favorite ways the world will end

Now just to be clear, I don't buy the traditional Mayan prophecy that blood will rain from the sky, due to the Mayan calendar ending, and that Hell's fire will leap out and kill all of those in its path, however the origin of the idea intrigues me.

The Mayan's were incredible in the fields of astronomy. They were not only able to theorize that Earth rotates around the Sun, but that the Sun rotates around the galaxy, and that the Earth wobbles on its axis. The Earth will have made one full turn on December 21, 2012. Go figure.

Now if the world WILL end that day, it will be because everyone will be overreacting to the prediction. After all, the U.S. wouldn't want to leave all these nukes lying around at the end of the world.

2.Y3K

Why is there something about zeros that makes everyone go crazy? Now I'm sure that you all know about the Y2K incident in 2000 A.D. over the fact that the year had an exceptional amount of zeros in it. It wasn't 2000 years after Jesus was born, that happened in 2001.

So obviously the world will end on the next year with an abnormally large number of zeros.

3.The Big Rip

This is a very interesting, and scientific theory. The Universe expands, right? Well, the rate of expansion is getting faster, and there is more and more space between things. This means things get farther apart and gravity can no longer hold onto them. This causes galaxy clusters to be ripped apart, then, as things get farther apart, galaxies themselves. Then you move onto solar systems that are ripped apart, then planets, onto the particles that make up our bodies, until our grand Universe is leveled to nothing more than several Quarks floating in the vastness of space.

4.Aliens

I am in the minority in that I believe that it is certain that ET exist. Think about it. It's like taking 3 billion Petri dishes in different environments, eventually; two will have the same result. Similarly, they probably won't like us. I mean, who would? The human race is screwed up. They will probably bomb our entire planet (Probably with anti-matter). Thankfully, we won't be able to find them with current technology, so we will have the home court, maybe those nukes won't e laying around at the end of the world.

5.Nuclear war

We came really close to blowing eachother up at the cold war, and We may still nuke Iraq, or Iran, or Pakistan, or China, or any other country we don't like. We have enough nukes to destroy the world 7 times over, so it's bound to happen. I think we should make everyone send their nukes to Jupiter and blow them up, just to be safe.

6.Someone wakes up

I enjoy this one, partly because of its philosophical meaning. What if we don't exist, or only exist in a dream, and someone wakes up. If this is true, we are F*cked, but
it probably isn't, and its interesting to think about.
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:17:08 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:47:12 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Obama the anti-Christ loses the re-election and goes off the deep end! Mwahaha!

I actually knowa few people who think that. Its pretty scary.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:41:39 AM
Best way for the world to end? A religious war after Science concludes God doesn't exist. Dave Mustaine will be the last man standing, torn between atheism and Born-Again Christianity. He'll probably off himself.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2009 12:24:19 PM
At 10/25/2009 9:41:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Best way for the world to end? A religious war after Science concludes God doesn't exist. Dave Mustaine will be the last man standing, torn between atheism and Born-Again Christianity. He'll probably off himself.

Agreed.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2009 2:22:19 PM
At 10/25/2009 8:45:29 AM, ournamestoolong wrote:
Why is there something about zeros that makes everyone go crazy? Now I'm sure that you all know about the Y2K incident in 2000 A.D. over the fact that the year had an exceptional amount of zeros in it. It wasn't 2000 years after Jesus was born, that happened in 2001.

So obviously the world will end on the next year with an abnormally large number of zeros.

Yes. But what everyone forgets it that computers are binary. So it needs to be binary zeroes. So the next big flip will happen 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038, where all 32-bit unix computers will flip a bit, and suddenly they will think it's 1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I am in the minority in that I believe that it is certain that ET exist.

Me too. But I also believe that interstellar travel is practically impossible. Because if it wasn't, then some culture out there would have found it, and they would subsequently go all around the universe to trade, to become richer.

It's like discovering practical ocean going boats. As soon as that happened, every little puny island around the world had been claimed by European dudes. If interstellar travel is possible, they would be here. And they aren't.

7. Personally, I think the universe will end when the guy who runs the universe-simulator has gotten enough data and terminates the program. :-)
So prove me wrong, then.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2009 4:52:26 PM
At 10/26/2009 2:22:19 PM, regebro wrote:
Me too. But I also believe that interstellar travel is practically impossible. Because if it wasn't, then some culture out there would have found it, and they would subsequently go all around the universe to trade, to become richer.

It's like discovering practical ocean going boats. As soon as that happened, every little puny island around the world had been claimed by European dudes. If interstellar travel is possible, they would be here. And they aren't.

"Ocean going boats" have always been possible, but it wasn't always happening. What about the years before seafaring technology was developed?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2009 5:36:20 PM
At 10/26/2009 2:22:19 PM, regebro wrote:
But I also believe that interstellar travel is practically impossible. Because if it wasn't, then some culture out there would have found it, and they would subsequently go all around the universe to trade, to become richer.
The above was true for millions of years until boats were actually invented.
No, they'll be here when they invent the technology. If the Americans concluded that because the Europeans hadn't arrived yet, they never would, they'd be stupid.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2009 10:31:44 PM
The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world. In their own writings they predicted, or rather calculated, the end of a long cycle, and the beginning of a new world age. Nothing about wiping out humanity or destroying the earth.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 12:59:55 AM
At 10/26/2009 10:31:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world. In their own writings they predicted, or rather calculated, the end of a long cycle, and the beginning of a new world age. Nothing about wiping out humanity or destroying the earth.

Wow. You surprise me. You swallow loads of weirdo theories, but not this one? Why not?

Oh well. I guess it's not a conspiracy...
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 1:03:32 AM
At 10/26/2009 5:36:20 PM, mongeese wrote:
The above was true for millions of years until boats were actually invented.

Sure, and it's possible interstellar travel will be invented, but haven't been invented anywhere yet. That's unlikely, the universe is big. If it's possible, someone would have invented it. But although unlikely, it's possible.

In any case, ET is not coming to eat us. :)
So prove me wrong, then.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 1:18:05 AM
At 10/27/2009 12:59:55 AM, regebro wrote:

Wow. You surprise me. You swallow loads of weirdo theories, but not this one? Why not?

No, actually I have an even more extreme outlook on 2012 than the Doomsday theorists. In 2012, we will all rapidly evolve after a blast of cosmic energy from the center of the galaxy physically enhances us to where we all have superpowers like telepathy, flight capabilities, telekinesis, instant space travel, and object manifestation created by thinking.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 1:18:37 AM
At 10/26/2009 4:52:26 PM, LeafRod wrote:
"Ocean going boats" have always been possible, but it wasn't always happening. What about the years before seafaring technology was developed?

The point of the seafaring comparison was to make a comparison of the type of technology, not the time of development.

I am not saying that it's the same. I'm saying that it's a technology everybody gets at roughly the same time, because it's a technology in traveling. It's the same with time machines. Practical time travel is impossible. Because somebody WILL take the invention back in time to make money on it. And it will spread through time.

Similarly, it is impossible that one species sits on interstellar travel. No, everybody will get it at the same time. That's the point.

Obviously someone has to be the first. But we have had 8000 years of technological development, and almost all improvement in that has come during the last 2-300 years. In a universe that is so big that it for our comprehension is infinite, There will be civilizations out there that are millions of years older than us. If it's possible, they have interstellar travel since a long time. The chance that we would be amongst the most advanced civilizations is so minuscule that we can safely assume its zero.
So prove me wrong, then.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:58:40 AM
At 10/27/2009 1:18:05 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
No, actually I have an even more extreme outlook on 2012 than the Doomsday theorists. In 2012, we will all rapidly evolve after a blast of cosmic energy from the center of the galaxy physically enhances us to where we all have superpowers like telepathy, flight capabilities, telekinesis, instant space travel, and object manifestation created by thinking.

We'll see. It's just 3 years from now XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:37:44 AM

If this came from anyone else, I would assume it was a joke.
So prove me wrong, then.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 10:32:07 AM
At 10/27/2009 1:18:37 AM, regebro wrote:

The point of the seafaring comparison was to make a comparison of the type of technology, not the time of development.

I am not saying that it's the same. I'm saying that it's a technology everybody gets at roughly the same time, because it's a technology in traveling. It's the same with time machines. Practical time travel is impossible. Because somebody WILL take the invention back in time to make money on it. And it will spread through time.

Similarly, it is impossible that one species sits on interstellar travel. No, everybody will get it at the same time. That's the point.

Obviously someone has to be the first. But we have had 8000 years of technological development, and almost all improvement in that has come during the last 2-300 years. In a universe that is so big that it for our comprehension is infinite, There will be civilizations out there that are millions of years older than us. If it's possible, they have interstellar travel since a long time. The chance that we would be amongst the most advanced civilizations is so minuscule that we can safely assume its zero.
This is assuming that interstellar travel is even possible. Theres a small-to-medium chance that it is impossible to have an object of sufficient mass, travel faster, or even close, to the speed of light.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 10:35:36 AM
At 10/27/2009 12:59:55 AM, regebro wrote:

Too much Sci fi.

A blast like that would most likely boil the oceans and sear humanity, along with every living thing, into fire and dust.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 12:29:03 PM
At 10/27/2009 10:32:07 AM, tkubok wrote:

This is assuming that interstellar travel is even possible. Theres a small-to-medium chance that it is impossible to have an object of sufficient mass, travel faster, or even close, to the speed of light.

Anti-matter collisions. We just need to find out a way to produce it faster and cheaper.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 12:54:33 PM
At 10/27/2009 12:29:03 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:
Anti-matter collisions. We just need to find out a way to produce it faster and cheaper.

The same thing was said about Cold Fusion. Didnt work. :(
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 1:09:04 PM
At 10/27/2009 12:54:33 PM, tkubok wrote:

The difference is that we have already done it, its just expensive.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 1:25:07 PM
At 10/27/2009 1:09:04 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:
At 10/27/2009 12:54:33 PM, tkubok wrote:

The difference is that we have already done it, its just expensive.

Very expensive. Which is why it wont work. Who wants to spend a hundred-sextillion dollars just to send a couple men to Pluto? It would be cheaper to pay every citizen on the world, a thousand bucks to act as though man landed on Pluto. :(
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:15:56 PM
At 10/27/2009 10:35:36 AM, tkubok wrote:
Too much Sci fi.

Agreed. I prefer carrying on a discussion about how magic will further the human race from now on.

Teleportation seems to be a better alternative versus sending people to Pluto using technology. Let's discuss methods by which worship of pagan gods and ritual sacrifice can help generate the elemental energy needed to open a rift through the demon realm.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:45:59 PM

6.Someone wakes up

I enjoy this one, partly because of its philosophical meaning. What if we don't exist, or only exist in a dream, and someone wakes up. If this is true, we are F*cked, but

lol : )
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 11:48:21 PM
At 10/27/2009 10:32:07 AM, tkubok wrote:

My whole point, if you actually read what I wrote, is that it is NOT possible.
So prove me wrong, then.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 6:11:06 PM
At 10/27/2009 11:48:21 PM, regebro wrote:

What you wrote was, and i quote:

Apart from the fact that i dont quite understand what you mean by "Everybody will get it at the same time", since its obvious that everyone, even on this planet, has not received the same levels of technology(unless you see a Sony shop in the middle of the Amazon, i doubt that many of the primitive jungle folk have access to things like computers, the internet, a telephone, etc), this only seems as though you are advocating the fact that we will, in some foreseeable future, posses the technology to travel beyond the stars at a pace that does not make the trip require more than 5 generations of people.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 9:05:10 PM
At 10/27/2009 3:58:40 AM, Kleptin wrote:

I was only partly serious when I said that. Anything about the future is pure speculation. One thing I do know for sure, is that based on a 62 million year cycle (and even a 26,000 year cycle), rapid increases in evolution occur and in 2012, we will be at the end of that cycle where there will be a rapid increase in evolution.

One of the greatest falsehoods of Darwinism is that species only evolve over long periods of time, when in reality, evolution can also occur very rapidly.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 3:50:32 AM
At 10/28/2009 6:11:06 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 10/27/2009 11:48:21 PM, regebro wrote:

What you wrote was, and i quote:

And you quote out of context. Try again. Again, my whole point i sthat it is NOT possible.
So prove me wrong, then.
silntwaves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 9:59:59 AM
My 6 favorite ways the world will end

Now just to be clear, I don't buy the traditional Mayan prophecy that blood will rain from the sky, due to the Mayan calendar ending, and that Hell's fire will leap out and kill all of those in its path, however the origin of the idea intrigues me.

The Mayan's were incredible in the fields of astronomy. They were not only able to theorize that Earth rotates around the Sun, but that the Sun rotates around the galaxy, and that the Earth wobbles on its axis. The Earth will have made one full turn on December 21, 2012. Go figure.

Now if the world WILL end that day, it will be because everyone will be overreacting to the prediction. After all, the U.S. wouldn't want to leave all these nukes lying around at the end of the world.

2.Y3K

3.The Big Rip

This is a very interesting, and scientific theory. The Universe expands, right? Well, the rate of expansion is getting faster, and there is more and more space between things. This means things get farther apart and gravity can no longer hold onto them. This causes galaxy clusters to be ripped apart, then, as things get farther apart, galaxies themselves. Then you move onto solar systems that are ripped apart, then planets, onto the particles that make up our bodies, until our grand Universe is leveled to nothing more than several Quarks floating in the vastness of space.

4.Aliens

I am in the minority in that I believe that it is certain that ET exist. Think about it. It's like taking 3 billion Petri dishes in different environments, eventually; two will have the same result. Similarly, they probably won't like us. I mean, who would? The human race is screwed up. They will probably bomb our entire planet (Probably with anti-matter). Thankfully, we won't be able to find them with current technology, so we will have the home court, maybe those nukes won't e laying around at the end of the world.

5.Nuclear war

We came really close to blowing eachother up at the cold war, and We may still nuke Iraq, or Iran, or Pakistan, or China, or any other country we don't like. We have enough nukes to destroy the world 7 times over, so it's bound to happen. I think we should make everyone send their nukes to Jupiter and blow them up, just to be safe.

6.Someone wakes up

I LOVE # 6! haha if someone was in a dream and did they woke up..id be like wow. you should have waken?? up earlier :]]
Nick Jonas And The Administration
-What I Am.
silntwaves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 10:02:00 AM
At 10/27/2009 3:58:40 AM, Kleptin wrote:

but i wanna graduatee :[[ (2013) ha.
Nick Jonas And The Administration
-What I Am.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2009 11:01:47 AM
At 10/27/2009 6:15:56 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/27/2009 10:35:36 AM, tkubok wrote:
Too much Sci fi.

Agreed. I prefer carrying on a discussion about how magic will further the human race from now on.

Teleportation seems to be a better alternative versus sending people to Pluto using technology. Let's discuss methods by which worship of pagan gods and ritual sacrifice can help generate the elemental energy needed to open a rift through the demon realm.

I believe that the veneration of Yog-Sothoth is the most effective approach, as conterminous with all time and space he is really the one you want for portals and rifts. Also he accepts human and animal blood.

He may be a little on the risky side... but thats the price you pay.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.