Jump to topic:

Do You Listen To Rap Music *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 12:28:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How many of you people here listen to rap music or any other forms of hip hop.
I wanna know what do you think of this creative type of music and the influence
it has on our society today. Is it bad or is it good. Its your call.
You tell me. =)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 3:54:48 PM
I listen to Hollywood Undead and Eminem.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 4:24:23 PM
At 2/5/2013 3:54:48 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Thats all. What about Dr Dre, LL Cool J, Nas, Rakim, KRS-ONE, Talib,
Common, and more. I listen to MCs. =)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 4:26:37 PM
At 2/5/2013 4:24:23 PM, inferno wrote:

Never herd of them
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 4:40:17 PM
At 2/5/2013 4:26:37 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/5/2013 4:24:23 PM, inferno wrote:

Never herd of them

Sure.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 4:41:44 PM
I don't honestly consider it -music-, but I don't consider much modern 'music' to actually be music. Each form of art has a medium through which a theme is communicated. Literature has language; painting has pigment and canvas; sculpture has stone, metal, and concrete; pottery has clay and glaze; etc. The medium of music is sound. When you listen to classical music you can tell what each song is trying to communicate regardless of accompanying lyrics. Opera is a great example because, though each piece has a libretto, the theme is communicated chiefly through the music. Listen to "Con onor muore" from Madame Butterfly and you feel the bittersweet desperation, and "Il dolce suono" from Lucia di Lammermoor flawlessly frames the frail insanity of the mad bride. Knowing Italian isn't necessary for the theme to be communicated. Contrast it to modern popular music. Just hearing the rather grating tune of 'California Girls' communicates nothing of its poor excuse for a theme; that is communicated entirely through the lyrics. This is even more true for rap. The meaning is communicated through literary means, not auditory, which makes it more poetry than anything else, in my opinion. I'm not overly familiar with the genre, but as long as it's not that stereotypically stupid tripe about bitches and unnecessarily rotating tires I actually don't mind it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 5:07:42 PM
At 2/5/2013 12:28:02 PM, inferno wrote:
You tell me. =)

"Do You Listen To Rap Music *" Only when there is no way to escape it. And yes it has had a negative effect on society as a whole. It is at it's core music of pure disrespect for authority and women. Opinion made through personal observation when being forced to listen to it. Yes, I could leave. But I didn't go to where I was only to leave. I tolerate it when there is no other choice short of having to leave the area.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 5:47:02 PM
At 2/5/2013 5:07:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
You tell me. =)

"Do You Listen To Rap Music *" Only when there is no way to escape it. And yes it has had a negative effect on society as a whole. It is at it's core music of pure disrespect for authority and women. Opinion made through personal observation when being forced to listen to it. Yes, I could leave. But I didn't go to where I was only to leave. I tolerate it when there is no other choice short of having to leave the area.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 5:48:25 PM
At 2/5/2013 5:13:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
On a rare occasion. When I do, they happen to be pre-2K rap songs, or heir melodies.

Hip Hop Music died around 2006. I'm waiting for a resurrection.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:33:34 PM
Around 3-5% of rap music has the combination of creative lyrics, euphonic backing tracks, and a lack of the words "f*ck," "b*tch," and "nigga" every 10 seconds. Within that group is where I listen to rap music. It's difficult to find rap music to fit those criteria, however. #MusicianProblems
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:49:42 PM
At 2/6/2013 6:33:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Around 3-5% of rap music has the combination of creative lyrics, euphonic backing tracks, and a lack of the words "f*ck," "b*tch," and "nigga" every 10 seconds. Within that group is where I listen to rap music. It's difficult to find rap music to fit those criteria, however. #MusicianProblems

LOL This is the other 97-95%
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:51:43 PM
You tell me. =)

LOL It's comin' for you sadolite.....
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:58:07 PM
You tell me. =)

Also,
It's not all like that. There is really a large diversity of themes and styles in hip hop. It's just that most of what people hear (who don't listen to hip hop) is mainstream crap they're exposed to through the media and such. Almost all of the rap that I listen to is openly critical of the themes you are referring to. And what do you care about disrespecting authority? I see you sh1t on the government all the time.

v music video v
http://vimeo.com...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:03:01 PM
yes
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:14:52 PM
At 2/6/2013 6:58:07 PM, Oryus wrote:
You tell me. =)

Also,
It's not all like that. There is really a large diversity of themes and styles in hip hop. It's just that most of what people hear (who don't listen to hip hop) is mainstream crap they're exposed to through the media and such. Almost all of the rap that I listen to is openly critical of the themes you are referring to. And what do you care about disrespecting authority? I see you sh1t on the government all the time.

v music video v

I said "at it's core" I did not say "all" And I can definitely tell you it is not coming from me. If I had to choose between getting a root canal or listening to rap music, I would chose the root canal any time any day. Rap music to me is like fingernails on a chalk board. It's funny people posting videos of rap music thinking I will click on them. I do have the power to turn it off and leave it off here. To each his own, that's what makes us individuals, well at least some of us anyway. A Lot of brain washed lemmings out there without a single original thought in their head. Kinda like rap music, how does one tell the difference from one song to the next. The same friken beat never changing and nigga bitch ho on and on. The vast majority anyway. Not "all" from what people have said, I wouldn't know. But then again I never said "all" in the first Place
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:30:26 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:14:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:58:07 PM, Oryus wrote:
You tell me. =)

Also,

v music video v

I said "at it's core" I did not say "all" And I can definitely tell you it is not coming from me. If I had to choose between getting a root canal or listening to rap music, I would chose the root canal any time any day. Rap music to me is like fingernails on a chalk board. It's funny people posting videos of rap music thinking I will click on them. I do have the power to turn it off and leave it off here. To each his own, that's what makes us individuals, well at least some of us anyway. A Lot of brain washed lemmings out there without a single original thought in their head. Kinda like rap music, how does one tell the difference from one song to the next. The same friken beat never changing and nigga bitch ho on and on. The vast majority anyway. Not "all" from what people have said, I wouldn't know. But then again I never said "all" in the first Place

For future reference, "at it's core" does not mean "some." In defense of my statement that rap is not "at it's core" misogynistic- and... against.. authority..? -I sent you a video of a rap group which not only isn't misogynistic, but also explicitly challenges the idea that that is what hip hop is about "at it's core." It was perfectly relevant to the discussion and I didn't for one milisecond think you would enjoy it. I don't care if you like it or not.
:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:37:00 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:02:26 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I am Hip Hop.

WORD

http://youtu.be...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:37:55 PM

Sigh.

This is a wack beezy post.

How many artists/songs would it take to help you see differently?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:38:53 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:37:55 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:41:44 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:38:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^

westboro baptist church is to christianity as mainstream rap is to hip hop.
:
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:46:03 PM
No I don't listen to rap music unless I go out an can't avoid it.

Now my opinion may be colored due my experiences with rap, as the rap music I do hear is either from the radio or in a bar/club. But the rap I do hear most often tends to be very shallow. I'm sure there are rappers who rap about things other than morbid excess and treating women like cattle, but I never hear it.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:46:39 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:41:44 PM, Oryus wrote:

Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^

The problem is that most people don't hear anything else.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:48:53 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:46:39 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^

I would have never heard Johnny Cash in my entire life if I didn't go looking for him.

But, that is likewise damn good music.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:49:02 PM
No. I find that its almost impossible to listen to rap that doesn't swear ever other word, talk about how great they are, how much sex they get, and how everyone wants to be them.

I prefer listening to happy stupid lyrics, with a halfway decent beat.

Hence, mainstream hip-hop.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:50:10 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:46:39 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^

I know.. most are only exposed to crap via the media. It's like saying all vocalists are empty-headed and shite because all they hear is lady gaga and katy perry.
:
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:50:46 PM

Sigh.

Flawed question, increasing the number of artists and songs with uncreative, vulgar lyrics and cacophonous/80's videogame-sounding backing tracks would further cement my adamant position on rap music. Being a musician, understanding harmony and form, improvising on eclectic styles has made me more accepting of different types of music, but it also requires that the music in question have just that: music. Chromatic ascensions over a boring beat with harsh-sounding vulgar vocals is not appealing to someone who understands music on any meaningful level.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:51:10 PM
I like a lot of hip hop.
Aussie hip hop kicks arse. If you haven't listened to some Drapht or Bliss n Eso, you're missing out.
I love conscious stuff like Lupe Fiasco and Talib Kwali.
I adore Eminem.
I love me some hard core b!tches and guns gangster rap, but only if it's quality is good, like Biggie or Obie Trice.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...