Jump to topic:

Acquirable Skills

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:25:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are the top skills you don't possess but hypothetically could, given time, money and commitment?

I'd like to be able:
Play the piano
Draw really well
Speak another language (Japanese, French, Chinese... I have several I'd like to know)
Become an expert in a martial art (I'm partial to Wing Chun Kung Fu, but Muai Thai would probably be more efficient.)

Maybe we can even point each other in the right direction if we have a skill that someone else wants?

Gogogo!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:48:59 PM
Speak Spanish fluently.
Get better at guitar and painting and knitting.
Some kind of martial art would be pretty sweet to know.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:52:19 PM
Learn a martial art.
Learn parkour.
Learn how to shuffle/do magic tricks with cards well.
Learn a different language(preferably Spanish).
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:52:47 PM
Martial arts of course. I'd also like to learn a language, preferably Japanese because I would love to live in Japan. And being drawing was a skill that i attempted to acquire, but kinda gave up on. Learning yoga and meditation would also be interesting. And I'm probably gonna start trying to learn python soon. If anyone has any good sources for that, it would be much appreciated.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:55:54 PM
- Speaking/reading Latin
- Playing the cello
- Painting
- Ballroom dancing
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:57:28 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:52:47 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Martial arts of course. I'd also like to learn a language, preferably Japanese because I would love to live in Japan. And being drawing was a skill that i attempted to acquire, but kinda gave up on. Learning yoga and meditation would also be interesting. And I'm probably gonna start trying to learn python soon. If anyone has any good sources for that, it would be much appreciated.

I liked http://www.codecademy.com... Stayed up all night once with it because it was fun. :) Fair warning, I did the Javascript track and haven't even started the Python one, but it's bet they have fairly similar methods of instruction anyway.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 9:59:15 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:57:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I liked http://www.codecademy.com... Stayed up all night once with it because it was fun. :) Fair warning, I did the Javascript track and haven't even started the Python one, but it's bet they have fairly similar methods of instruction anyway.

Thanks!
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:02:34 PM
At 2/14/2013 9:57:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Wow i'm more tired than i thought... I think i meant to write "i'd bet"?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:10:37 PM
- Become a Tae Kwon Do master
- Become fluent in Chinese
- Play the piano well
- Sing like Johnny Cash (not as easy as it sounds)
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:12:46 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:10:37 PM, Subutai wrote:
- Play the piano well

- Play the guitar well
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:17:18 PM
- Play the piano well

That sounds easy? That sounds really hard to me.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:19:28 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:17:18 PM, muzebreak wrote:
- Play the piano well

I've been working on all four for awhile. I only have on more degree of black belt until I become a master, I speak Chinese pretty well, and the other two I'm practicing.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:36:42 PM
I'm working on most of mine.

1. Cooking
2. Dancing
3. Chess
4. Guitar
5. Pick-up http://tinyurl.com...
6. Management, Sales, Marketing
7. Value Investing
8. Ultimate (Frisbee)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:42:35 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:19:28 PM, Subutai wrote:
- Play the piano well

I've been working on all four for awhile. I only have on more degree of black belt until I become a master, I speak Chinese pretty well, and the other two I'm practicing.

I was referring to the johnny cash one, and how you implied that it sounds easy.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:55:04 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:42:35 PM, muzebreak wrote:
- Play the piano well

I was referring to the johnny cash one, and how you implied that it sounds easy.

Well it's not.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:55:30 PM
I think not being depressed all the time is a good place to start.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 10:56:02 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:55:04 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 2/14/2013 10:42:35 PM, muzebreak wrote:
- Play the piano well

Well it's not.

Yes, I would agree. I just don't think it sounds easy.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 11:00:25 PM
At 2/14/2013 10:55:30 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Studies have shown that smiling actually increases happiness. Especially with those able to preform a Duchenne smile on command.

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:04:37 AM
The ability to like life..

And to learn martial arts, and a language.

I'd like to get real good in visualization as well, since I cannot do it at all...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 7:17:16 AM

Meth helps. The Onion backs me up.

http://www.theonion.com...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 7:19:41 AM
Well I'm learning how to play guitar and I am a decent singer (or so I have been told). I would really like to learn another martial art. I wrestled for four years so I am partial to grappling, so I'm thinking Judo or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. But I would like to learn some striking also.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 6:45:00 PM
I don't know yet, not because I don't have ideas but because I am 14 and haven't had the opportunity to even try anything like this.

I'd love being an MLG Pro, preferably for Halo games.
My parents rarely let me play though... :(
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 6:45:59 PM

^that
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 7:49:38 PM

When I was meditating 5 hours a day for 2 months straight, it was the happiest time of my life. I'm still very well but I'd like to get back there. It was profound. It's just so much hard work. I meditate about an 1 every day now, throughout the day. I can affirmably say that it's become impossible for me to be depressed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 10:27:22 PM
At 2/20/2013 7:49:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:

When I was meditating 5 hours a day for 2 months straight, it was the happiest time of my life. I'm still very well but I'd like to get back there. It was profound. It's just so much hard work. I meditate about an 1 every day now, throughout the day. I can affirmably say that it's become impossible for me to be depressed.

Do you have any tips on starting meditation. What environment/mindset should I cultivate before meditating, and what should I do during meditation?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:08:25 AM
At 2/20/2013 10:27:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 2/20/2013 7:49:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Do you have any tips on starting meditation. What environment/mindset should I cultivate before meditating, and what should I do during meditation?

I find pranayama to be the most effective method for me. Which employs continually breathing as deeply and slowly as you can. This serves to hyper relax you and keep you mindful at the same time. As for your thoughts, don't worry about them. They will come on their own. No use in guiding them. No use in stopping them. Let the mind wander, as long as you're staying mindful. You'll find that thoughts have a natural flow to them. There is no goal to meditation. You're not trying to get anywhere. It's like singing. You sing to sing, not to get to the last note.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:20:06 PM
- Become a stronger, faster runner
- Improve my debating skills
- Get a higher GPA
- Achieve fluency in German

Also having a good outlook and a feeling of confidence and enjoyment are worthy goals.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan