Jump to topic:

Our Ungrateful Generation

nn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 8:24:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So... I think this is going to be more of a vent, rather than a discussion.. except I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on my... "situation". :D

I come home from school. I have a HUGE science test tomorrow, and a ton of math homework. I just had hockey practice. I cleaned the kitchen last night, head to toe. This morning when I ate at 6am, it was clean. Came home at 5:45pm tonight; disaster. Disgusting. I eat for about 10 minutes, then start to clean. Clean, clean, clean... For about, 45 minutes. Just in the kitchen. I actually feel pretty good about it, helping out my mum and all, who usually does most of the cleaning, as well as I.

But then, there's the rest of my family.. Just about 20 minutes ago, I got in a fight with my 12 year old sister. I'm 14 btw. Forget how it started, but anyway... I quote her "You don't seem to get it. You do all the extra stuff around the house and you can't expect all of us to do it too. You choose to do all that stuff. You're not my mom you can't tell me what to do. (she is referring to the cleaning I do, btw.)"

So, dear sister, you seem to think, that cleaning up after yourself and your parents, doing the dishes WITHOUT being asked, sweeping the floors once in a while, feeding the dog, cleaning the table, picking up garbage around the house, you think that I do that because I WANT to? Because it's "extra"?

No, you are a freaking idiot if you think your sister who is exhausted and has piles of homework tonight WANTS to go clean the kitchen table right now, or do the dishes, or clean your dad's wine glasses that are sitting on the coffee table, or scrub that disgusting brown thing off the counter. You are actually the most utterly oblivious creature on the face of the planet.

She takes me for granted 100%. Thinks that just because the world doesn't explode if she doesn't do the dishes without a parent ordering her to, then she can go back to her bedroom for nine hours watching cats on youtube (wtf btw).

Well let me tell you, sister. One day, you're going to be out in the real world, and something real sh***y is gonna happen to you, like homelessness, and you're gonna be scrubbing toilets thinking "people totally take me for granted, because if I didn't clean these crap holes, no one would."

Guess what? If no one cleaned my house, it wouldn't get cleaned! Mind = Blown.

Not that difficult to understand. No, I don't like cleaning. Yes, I would rather be studying. But, if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done.

Helping others, doing things without being asked, doing things because they're the right thing to do; it's not going an extra mile. It's just doing what's right.
nn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:24:39 PM
At 2/20/2013 10:21:33 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So why did you come here to vent?

because I needed at least someone out there in the world to hear me out.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 4:49:01 PM
Don't believe I've ever met a 12 year old that was grateful for anything. I know I wasn't. Worry about yourself and what you do. It won't go unnoticed when it counts. One day something will come up and you will get the spoils and your snoty,lazy sister will be left out. What comes around goes around.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:01:15 PM
At 2/20/2013 8:24:37 PM, nn wrote:
So... I think this is going to be more of a vent, rather than a discussion.. except I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on my... "situation". :D

I come home from school. I have a HUGE science test tomorrow, and a ton of math homework. I just had hockey practice. I cleaned the kitchen last night, head to toe. This morning when I ate at 6am, it was clean. Came home at 5:45pm tonight; disaster. Disgusting. I eat for about 10 minutes, then start to clean. Clean, clean, clean... For about, 45 minutes. Just in the kitchen. I actually feel pretty good about it, helping out my mum and all, who usually does most of the cleaning, as well as I.

But then, there's the rest of my family.. Just about 20 minutes ago, I got in a fight with my 12 year old sister. I'm 14 btw. Forget how it started, but anyway... I quote her "You don't seem to get it. You do all the extra stuff around the house and you can't expect all of us to do it too. You choose to do all that stuff. You're not my mom you can't tell me what to do. (she is referring to the cleaning I do, btw.)"

So, dear sister, you seem to think, that cleaning up after yourself and your parents, doing the dishes WITHOUT being asked, sweeping the floors once in a while, feeding the dog, cleaning the table, picking up garbage around the house, you think that I do that because I WANT to? Because it's "extra"?

No, you are a freaking idiot if you think your sister who is exhausted and has piles of homework tonight WANTS to go clean the kitchen table right now, or do the dishes, or clean your dad's wine glasses that are sitting on the coffee table, or scrub that disgusting brown thing off the counter. You are actually the most utterly oblivious creature on the face of the planet.

She takes me for granted 100%. Thinks that just because the world doesn't explode if she doesn't do the dishes without a parent ordering her to, then she can go back to her bedroom for nine hours watching cats on youtube (wtf btw).

Well let me tell you, sister. One day, you're going to be out in the real world, and something real sh***y is gonna happen to you, like homelessness, and you're gonna be scrubbing toilets thinking "people totally take me for granted, because if I didn't clean these crap holes, no one would."

Guess what? If no one cleaned my house, it wouldn't get cleaned! Mind = Blown.

Not that difficult to understand. No, I don't like cleaning. Yes, I would rather be studying. But, if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done.

Helping others, doing things without being asked, doing things because they're the right thing to do; it's not going an extra mile. It's just doing what's right.

I agree with you %100, well, maybe 99.
I think this is what may do in America, decadence. We've become lazy & spoiled, due to our success, or rather our parents success. History repeats it's self, & I feel we are going down the path of other great empires that have fallen.

If you live in America, or some similar country, expect this kind of thing through out life. Bums on the street & immigrants who haven't contributed, living off your hard earned money which you gave to the government.

On a more positive note:

There is hope that your sister will change & grow up to be more like her older brother.
Remember your older & more mature than her now. Think back, what where you like at her age. Even if you were more helpful at her age (& chances are that you were, as oldest children tend to be more responsible), there still is plenty of time for her
to grow up. You can't change a person, but you can be a role model.

Your good work ethic will take you far, you'll be a great student, husband, father, neighbor, member of society & of humanity.

Just keep up the good work.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...