Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Correlation between belief and vote (DDO)

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 7:23:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have recently completed a study (more like an investigation) into how one's beliefs play into who they vote for on DDO.

The question: How strongly does which party one agrees with before reading the debate (as stated on the vote itself) affect who one votes for?

Answer: overwhelmingly

Methodology: I did not choose debates randomly for vote analysis. Debates had to have a resolution that I deemed to be important enough for people to likely have an opinion prior to reading the debate. The debates also had to have someone mixed votes, with no side having more than 75% of the total votes (below a 6 point difference this didn't apply). I included all of the votes in a debate (up to two pages of votes). Please note that only votes where people indicated who they agreed with prior to reading the debate were counted. I did not record the exact number of debates, but it was more than 30.

Important: a vote was considered "pro" or "con" for whichever side was given more points. Votes without points were not counted.

The results
51.2% of total votes counted were for pro
48.8% of total votes counted were for con
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:01:40 PM
This is proof that DDO capitalism doesn't work and the DDO government must chose what debate is best. Long live the internet communist revolution!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 10:59:48 PM
Those interesting results demonstrate profound confirmation bias. Do you have an excel sheet with all of the data values available?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 5:52:10 AM
They could simply be selectively voting on debates which they genuinely think the party they disagree with lost. At least, that's my policy with certain members of this site.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:19:25 PM
Your methodology is flawed in several ways, one of which being that you're only analyzing where people stated explicitly who they already agreed with. I usually don't, and most voters don't, state that outright when they're giving an RFD.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:45:39 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:19:25 PM, Noumena wrote:
Your methodology is flawed in several ways, one of which being that you're only analyzing where people stated explicitly who they already agreed with. I usually don't, and most voters don't, state that outright when they're giving an RFD.

It's flawed if it's being used as if it were an exhaustive study. I know that people with staunch convictions are more likely to indicate their position rather than those who are on-the-fence, and thus more likely to vote for the position that reflects that conviction, but I don't think the study is inaccurate in its conclusion i.e., people vote how they believe.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:05:29 PM
It's not that beliefs influence votes. It's that votes influence beliefs.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:42:27 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:05:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Hogwash.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:48:31 PM
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:02:22 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:48:31 PM, thett3 wrote:

If one doesn't explicitly state who one agrees with before a debate, there's a good chance one doesn't have a strong feeling either way.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:09:20 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:02:22 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

If one doesn't explicitly state who one agrees with before a debate, there's a good chance one doesn't have a strong feeling either way.

idk man, I tend not to even when I do have strong feelings. Sometimes i will sometimes I wont, it just depends but generally i wont. what i think you ought to do is analyze the votingrecords of a few specific members (who arent like trolls or votebombers or whjatever). You can judge their opinion basd on their big issues/ideology. You could well be right, I just have a problem with your methods
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:14:30 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:09:20 PM, thett3 wrote:

idk man, I tend not to even when I do have strong feelings. Sometimes i will sometimes I wont, it just depends but generally i wont. what i think you ought to do is analyze the votingrecords of a few specific members (who arent like trolls or votebombers or whjatever). You can judge their opinion basd on their big issues/ideology. You could well be right, I just have a problem with your methods

The conclusion of my study rests on the assumption that people who report which side they agree with are essentially no different than those have opinions, but don't share them for whatever reason.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:14:50 PM
People tend to vote on debates that they have a personal interest in . . . I try to be as unbiased as possible. Generally the debates with a lot of votes are less biased.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:17:29 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:14:30 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

The conclusion of my study rests on the assumption that people who report which side they agree with are essentially no different than those have opinions, but don't share them for whatever reason.

I feel stupid for saying this but can you elaboraate? I'm not sure what you mean.(dont judge, im tired)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:20:12 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:14:50 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
People tend to vote on debates that they have a personal interest in . . . I try to be as unbiased as possible. Generally the debates with a lot of votes are less biased.

It's hard to be objective when the vote question reads "made more convincing arguments" and you already agree with a position and all of its arguments. If you have a stance on an issue, you probably believe it because the arguments convinced you. And if the arguments convinced you, you probably find them convincing. Get my drift?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:21:07 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:17:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/24/2013 10:14:30 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I feel stupid for saying this but can you elaboraate? I'm not sure what you mean.(dont judge, im tired)

A "I agree that abortion is wrong and say so on the debate" person is no different than "I agree aborting is wrong but didn't say so on the debate" person
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 11:02:47 PM
I remain unbiased with all my votes. As rarely as I do, i guess I'm part of a small minority
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 6:27:27 AM
At 2/24/2013 9:42:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Hogwash.

Are you saying that people hold beliefs that are not in-line with what side they think has the better arguments?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 8:54:48 AM
At 2/25/2013 6:27:27 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/24/2013 9:42:27 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Hogwash.

Are you saying that people hold beliefs that are not in-line with what side they think has the better arguments?

No, people do, but not because the arguments convinced them. People recognize arguments convincing usually because they already agree with them.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:59:21 AM
You posted this in two forums? *facepalm*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:37:55 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:59:21 AM, lannan13 wrote:

That's not even the biggest facepalm: I posted in in two forums, and had typos in both.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:38:10 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:37:55 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

That's not even the biggest facepalm: I posted in in two forums, and had typos in both.

it in*!
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:39:10 PM

Wow, how ironic. Correct version: "That's not even the biggest facepalm: I posted this in two forums, and both had typos."
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:18:24 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:39:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Wow, how ironic. Correct version: "That's not even the biggest facepalm: I posted this in two forums, and both had typos."

LOL

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:20:29 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:18:24 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/26/2013 5:39:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

LOL

I am reading your comment through the slits of my fingers, and in a sense of defeat.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:25:50 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:20:29 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/26/2013 6:18:24 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I am reading your comment through the slits of my fingers, and in a sense of defeat.

Don't feel bad I had the same thing happen to me before.