Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Genetic Cleansing

Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 5:29:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.

I'm going to ignore all of this except for the gladiator like situation, because genetic cleansing is something I just really don't want to get into.

We very well could do it. It is a possibility, and it wouldn't surprise to me if it happened in the future. It wouldn't be for a century or so though.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:22:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

Why these people?
If they can't read or write, perhaps they weren't taught.
The poor? Why are they of no use to society, and what makes them inferior?
Criminals, really? So, someone exercising civil disobedience is inferior? As is someone with an unknown unpaid parking ticket?

If anything, it should be based on genes. Perhaps the chronically ill and impure physical traits (allergies, glasses) would be the better start.
My work here is, finally, done.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 5:43:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

How can you morally justify killing all impoverish ignorant people?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 2:13:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 5:29:40 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.


I'm going to ignore all of this except for the gladiator like situation, because genetic cleansing is something I just really don't want to get into.

We very well could do it. It is a possibility, and it wouldn't surprise to me if it happened in the future. It wouldn't be for a century or so though.

you support it on any criminal? Personally I would pick murderers.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 2:14:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 4:22:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

Why these people?
If they can't read or write, perhaps they weren't taught.
The poor? Why are they of no use to society, and what makes them inferior?
Criminals, really? So, someone exercising civil disobedience is inferior? As is someone with an unknown unpaid parking ticket?

If all of a sudden they ceased to exist, would that be better for society?

If anything, it should be based on genes. Perhaps the chronically ill and impure physical traits (allergies, glasses) would be the better start.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 2:14:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 5:43:06 PM, rogue wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

How can you morally justify killing all impoverish ignorant people?

you can't. But its something still worth discussion since its possible it may happen again.

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 2:33:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/25/2013 2:14:07 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:22:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

Why these people?
If they can't read or write, perhaps they weren't taught.
The poor? Why are they of no use to society, and what makes them inferior?
Criminals, really? So, someone exercising civil disobedience is inferior? As is someone with an unknown unpaid parking ticket?

If all of a sudden they ceased to exist, would that be better for society?
On balance, maybe.
But, being poor builds character (contrast with being spoiled and pampered), and the elderly are often poor, and shouldn't we be learning from them?

Criminals, again, maybe. The scumbags that are repeat offenders that lack a conscience, probably. But, what about those who are innocent/framed/railroaded? Civil disobedience or other protest related crime? A one time bad judgement call, like punching some jerk in the face, or even a vigilante?


If anything, it should be based on genes. Perhaps the chronically ill and impure physical traits (allergies, glasses) would be the better start.
My work here is, finally, done.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:32:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/25/2013 2:14:07 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:22:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

Why these people?
If they can't read or write, perhaps they weren't taught.
The poor? Why are they of no use to society, and what makes them inferior?
Criminals, really? So, someone exercising civil disobedience is inferior? As is someone with an unknown unpaid parking ticket?

If all of a sudden they ceased to exist, would that be better for society?

How does that justify it? That's just tyranny of the majority.
If anything, it should be based on genes. Perhaps the chronically ill and impure physical traits (allergies, glasses) would be the better start.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:47:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What the hell do any of these proposals have to do with genetics?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:51:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/25/2013 5:47:23 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
What the hell do any of these proposals have to do with genetics?

Mine did, didn't they?
Not that I particularly endorse it.
My work here is, finally, done.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 2:37:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/25/2013 2:14:46 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 2/24/2013 5:43:06 PM, rogue wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

How can you morally justify killing all impoverish ignorant people?

you can't. But its something still worth discussion since its possible it may happen again.

Do you actually want to do that though?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 3:19:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/25/2013 2:37:55 PM, rogue wrote:
At 2/25/2013 2:14:46 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 2/24/2013 5:43:06 PM, rogue wrote:
At 2/24/2013 4:47:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Hypothetically, lets say it did happen. Would it benefit those who were not killed and who should we annihilate?

Not being serious or anything *cough* But curiosity hits you sometimes.

My thoughts are that we outta eradicate all impoverished people and anyone who cannot read or write. Also, everyone who believes a certain group of people should be eradicated. Maybe at the same time eradicate everyone in Jail? and then do again annually?

How can you morally justify killing all impoverish ignorant people?

you can't. But its something still worth discussion since its possible it may happen again.

Do you actually want to do that though?

On a separate note now, how do you think society would react to gladiator fights with convicted criminals as the fighters? Maybe if we overhauled modern-day squeamish ethical qualms it would work? I think it could be justified, unlike genocide and the murders these convicts committed.

Depends on how the question is structured and defined, If all people who were being tortured by life would die peacefully overnight I wouldn't object, but If someone went and killed them all, then yes, I would object.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
logan2
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2015 1:43:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The management of [URL=http://www.chronic-cough.net...]chronic cough[/URL] presents a challenge for the clinician. Typically defined as a cough that persists for longer than 8 weeks, this is the most common presenting symptom in adults who seek medical treatment in an ambulatory setting. Chronic cough is estimated to occur in up to 40% of the population.
Traditionally, a dichotomy has separated the upper and lower airways, with the upper airway being the domain of the otolaryngologist and the lower airway being the domain of the pulmonologist. Recent research that shows a high proportion of patients with asthma and coexisting allergic rhinitis has paved the way for the "one airway" theory, in which a continuum of inflammation that involves the entire airway can be thought of as the underlying mechanism for disorders that start from the nose and mouth and extend to the most distal aspects of the lungs.
Indeed, inflammatory mediators in the lower airways are elevated in patients with postnasal drip syndrome, cough variant asthma, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Since the etiology of chronic cough can arise from anywhere in the tracheobronchial tree, a multidisciplinary approach is often needed, with the primary care provider coordinating care with appropriate referrals to the otolaryngologist, pulmonologist, or both, as appropriate. Additional specialists also important in the workup include the gastroenterologist, allergist and immunologist, neurologist, and speech therapist.