Jump to topic:

Technology in debate

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:07:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Dear cherubs,

This is my first post and I hope I'm not going against any forum rules/etiquette.

So here it goes...

Recently I've been put in charge of a debate course. I'm not an expert in debate by any means but I am familiar with a few forms of debate. Mock Trial, Policy, MUN, British Parliamentary...

The main purpose of the course I've been put in charge of is not actually the nuances of the different forms of debate but actually helping the students to be better logical and critical thinkers.

The task that I've been given is to integrate technology into our curriculum. Our classrooms are equipped with Flat screen TVs and every student is given Galaxy Notes.

As a debater, do you guys see any use of using this piece of technology? Would it be helpful for the students in any way?

I have a few ideas in mind:

During the debate:
A better way for the teams to share notes.
A better way to organize your notes.
A better way to keep track of the time while debating.

During the class:
A better way to do quick comprehension check questions in the form of multiple choice questions (and I get a live feed of their answers).
A better way to do quick polls during class.
Allowing students to do research on the internet while preparing for a debate (some of the classrooms have bad WIFI connectivity so this might not be a scale'able option).

If you were a child debater, what might be helpful to you?

Thanks for your time.