Jump to topic:

Another Stupid SAT question

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:49:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Among the side benefits of the museum's exhibition of early photographs of Egypt is that it can inspire you to read the travel classic Flaubert in Egypt. Looking at the photographs from the 1850's after reading the book, you should be able to conjure up the French author just outside the picture frame. There is Flaubert in his long white shirt, his shaved head topped by a red tarboosh, settled into the cool shade of an ancient temple, reading poetry, and seeming oh-so-exquisitely bored.

Question: The characterization of Flaubert in the last sentence chiefly serves to suggest that:

A) Flaubert had an affected manner.
B) Egypt inspired Flaubert to write.
C) Flaubert found the Egyptian climate oppressive.
D) Flaubert was timid about posing for photographs.
E) Egypt's culture was of great interest to Flaubert.

Post your answer (and please explain why you picked it). I'll tell you if you got it right
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:54:18 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:49:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
Among the side benefits of the museum's exhibition of early photographs of Egypt is that it can inspire you to read the travel classic Flaubert in Egypt. Looking at the photographs from the 1850's after reading the book, you should be able to conjure up the French author just outside the picture frame. There is Flaubert in his long white shirt, his shaved head topped by a red tarboosh, settled into the cool shade of an ancient temple, reading poetry, and seeming oh-so-exquisitely bored.

Question: The characterization of Flaubert in the last sentence chiefly serves to suggest that:

Post your answer (and please explain why you picked it). I'll tell you if you got it right

It's either B or E. The others are all irrelevant. I'd say B.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:58:09 PM

A. It's the only one that makes sense.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:58:54 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:54:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:

"seeming oh-so-exquisitely bored." puts me off those.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:58:55 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:54:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Why?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:59:17 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:58:09 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:01:37 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:59:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2013 3:58:09 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why?

Because all the others are either irrelevant or not in line with the passage. Also, he doesn't care about the fact that he's in Egypt, so A would fit.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:02:04 PM
He seems to be doing that to seem "cool" in a way if that makes sense.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:02:43 PM
It's A, senor Flaubert was acting in an affected, or "feigned"manner towards having his picture taken. Essentially he was acting with affected indifference. "Putting on airs" if you will, trying to act cool lol.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:03:42 PM
At 3/4/2013 4:02:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
He seems to be doing that to seem "cool" in a way if that makes sense.

^^this, it makes sense once you understand what an "affected manner" is
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:06:11 PM
You got the question correct, Bossyburito. The answer's A.

Though I interpreted "affected" as meaning emotionally moved or stimulated in a way, and since he was bored, A was the first thing I crossed off. I ended up putting C since he was under the shade.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:06:52 PM

I would say A. Affected manner (unless I am getting something wrong) means to put on an act, correct? If so, a 19th century author probably wouldn't be dressed in such apparel -- and since it mentions "conjur up" it seems to be related to some look or action. So I would say A, he is putting on an alternate personality.

But I don't really know.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:09:08 PM
At 3/4/2013 4:06:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I would say A. Affected manner (unless I am getting something wrong) means to put on an act, correct? If so, a 19th century author probably wouldn't be dressed in such apparel -- and since it mentions "conjur up" it seems to be related to some look or action. So I would say A, he is putting on an alternate personality.

But I don't really know.

Looking at Ike's post my 'why' was off.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:25:27 PM
F is the only logical answer.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 10:57:48 PM

Yes, the sentence seems to say so. "Exquisitely bored" is certainly a description of character which seems to be affected by his surroundings; the cool shade and ancient temple.

It says he's reading poetry, not writing anything.

That would be a strange use for the passage.

Even stranger.

I doubt that was what the sentence meant to imply. It exhibited more a mood than anything.

I'll go with A.

"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 7:07:52 PM
A is the only one that works.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 1:51:26 AM
GAIZ I TOTALLY KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!

IT'S A!!!

GOD AM I A GENIUS OR WHAT!!?!?!?

.....what?

....the answer is posted above me?

......You think I looked at it before I answered?!?! What kind of a man do you think I am!?!?!?!?!?!?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 9:10:12 AM
One thing that I love The Hunger Games for is teaching everyone what the word 'affected' means in the first few pages (describing Effie's accent). Thanks to that book sending many a youngster running to a dictionary (or their older brother, in my sister's case), many more young people will get this question correct.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 9:13:04 AM
At 3/6/2013 9:10:12 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
One thing that I love The Hunger Games for is teaching everyone what the word 'affected' means in the first few pages (describing Effie's accent). Thanks to that book sending many a youngster running to a dictionary (or their older brother, in my sister's case), many more young people will get this question correct.

Lol, many more people getting it right won't help... the SAT is percentile based :)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 9:29:32 AM
At 3/6/2013 9:13:04 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Lol, many more people getting it right won't help... the SAT is percentile based :)

I don't care about there scores, I care about their vocabulary.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 9:29:54 AM
At 3/6/2013 9:29:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/6/2013 9:13:04 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I don't care about their scores, I care about their vocabulary.

Fixed
- Hilaire Belloc -
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 9:50:45 AM
The strategy to use for SAT and other multiple choice questions is to eliminate wrong answers. If you have successfully eliminated even one wrong answer, the odds will then be in your favor that a guess will improve your score. Pure chance guessing gives 20% correct answers, while eliminating one wrong choice raises that to 25%, and so forth. Standard official test advice is no to guess, but that really means "don't guess unless to can eliminate at least one choice."

The posts here showed how alternatives could be eliminated one-by-one.

So long as you are getting above pure chance it pays to answer all the questions, so don't run out of time because you are stuck pondering final choices.

The questions that always got me as being ambiguous were the "pick the next one in the series" type. If you are good at seeing patterns, you'll see multiple ways that fit a sequence.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 10:29:06 AM
yeah, I think it's A...

Firstly.. b/c none of the others fit whatsoever...
doesn't fit the description.. and it wasn't implied in any way.

not suggested in the least.

umm... again, not suggested

E) Egypt's culture was of great interest to Flaubert
He wrote a travel book about it, but the last sentence Definitely didn't suggest that.

I didn't know what was meant by an "affected manner" but, having now looked it up, it fits.

2.Artificial, pretentious, and designed to impress: "the gesture appeared both affected and stagy".

he's a snob!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."