Jump to topic:

Road Rules in the United States

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 3:38:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have several questions about road rules in the United States. I live in Florida, and have found some strange drivers that act differently than drivers in other parts of the country. I am not quite caught up on driving regulations, and have seen some pretty obscure driving techniques in my area. Here are some questions I would appreciate being answered:

Is it legal to turn left at a red light? ("Most drivers in my area do this.")

Is it legal to, when there's a yellow light, gun the engine so that the light is barely yellow when you cross the middle of the road? (" ")

Is it legal to, when there's a crash on the highway, find a path off the designated road and use that to move to the front and away from the accident? (" ")

Just some curious questions.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:08:42 PM
I know the first one isn't.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:13:46 PM
At 11/7/2009 3:38:12 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Canadian road rules are similar to the US, so....

No, it isn't. You can only turn right from the right-hand lane on to another road at a red light, unless its otherwise noted. You can't turn left at a red light, as that means you jump out from the left-hand lane right into the middle of thorough traffic.

Is it legal to, when there's a yellow light, gun the engine so that the light is barely yellow when you cross the middle of the road? (" ")

It is called the "point of no return." If your car is say, 20 ft away when the light turns yellow, then you are allowed to speed up to avoid the yellow light. If you're before the point of no return, then you must slow down to heed the yellow light.

Is it legal to, when there's a crash on the highway, find a path off the designated road and use that to move to the front and away from the accident? (" ")

Yes, so long as it is on the shoulder and not in the opposite lane or anything else. Usually, though, if there is a crash, there will be emergency service personnel there to direct the way for you to go.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:14:11 PM
At 11/7/2009 3:38:12 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

In China, yes. This is legal. Also legal in Britain. In the United States, though? Lol, no!

You should be able to cross the intersection before the light turns red.

This is called being an @sshole. Not against the law, though.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 4:45:56 PM
In Texas, none of these are legal. We do have Right-Turn-On-Red in most areas, though.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!