Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

For any minor audiophiles...

Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2009 8:16:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm trying to get my feet wet in the higher end of my music experiences...

I'm going to be getting a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps for Christmas. I've used these monitors before, and although the audio quality was amazing (especially for the price), the fidelity loss from the audio format used on my iPod was frustrating.

I need to know:

-What is a reasonably priced MP3 player that supports lossless compression formats (FLAC)?

-Is there some outlet, whether it be a torrent site or a store like iTunes, where a one could find a wide range of music selections specifically uploaded in lossless formats instead of having to rip the tracks from a CD?
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 2:13:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Torrents do not have FLACs because the quality of tracks that get shared in your average p2p are absolute crap.

Limewire rapes quality and frostwire skips.
Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 6:16:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Actually, torrents have every type of format you could dream up: I have downloaded quite a few FLAC codecs off of sites like PirateBay and Demonoid, but I was hoping to find a dedicated site.

I did find http://losslessclub.com... but I would prefer a site that has a bit of a larger selection and one that isn't written in Russian.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
omelet
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 8:18:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What.CD. You'll need to either get an invite from a current member or pass their admission test via IRC. Instructions for this can be found on the internet - for example, here.
http://whatinterviewprep.webs.com...
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 9:23:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/7/2009 8:16:23 PM, Clockwork wrote:
I'm trying to get my feet wet in the higher end of my music experiences...

I'm going to be getting a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps for Christmas. I've used these monitors before, and although the audio quality was amazing (especially for the price), the fidelity loss from the audio format used on my iPod was frustrating.

What did you use to verify it was the audio format that was the problem?

99% of the price in audiophilia is hype, and 99% of the differences you hear are just your imagination.

Unless you make blind-tests, preferably double-blind tests, you have no idea. Really.
So prove me wrong, then.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 11:44:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 9:23:48 AM, regebro wrote:


99% of the price in audiophilia is hype, and 99% of the differences you hear are just your imagination.

Although I find your use of statistics preposterous, I think there is some truth in this assertion, especially when talking about domestic hifi equipment. While some brands are better than others it is easy to let your ears fool you.

However I believe the subject of audio formatting is a bit different and the audible difference between say, an MP3 and a WAV (through the same speakers) is quite noticeable.

Unless you make blind-tests, preferably double-blind tests, you have no idea. Really.

This is perhaps a good example of what some people have interpreted as condescension on your part. It's not so much what you say as how you say it.

Here, I'll try communicating the same way:

If you can't tell the difference you must have some kind of problem. Really.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 1:05:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 11:44:29 AM, feverish wrote:
However I believe the subject of audio formatting is a bit different and the audible difference between say, an MP3 and a WAV (through the same speakers) is quite noticeable.

Most people can not tell the difference between a high quality mp3 and a wav. If you can, good for you, but you don't know if you can until you make double blind testing.

Unless you make blind-tests, preferably double-blind tests, you have no idea. Really.

This is perhaps a good example of what some people have interpreted as condescension on your part. It's not so much what you say as how you say it.

Here, I'll try communicating the same way:

If you can't tell the difference you must have some kind of problem. Really.

Except, of course, I said nothing like that. The fact is, that unless you make a blind test, you have no idea. This is not a fault of yours or a problem. You simply do not know and have no way of knowing. That is a fact, and is not condescending in any way, shape or form.
So prove me wrong, then.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 2:46:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yes, I'm sorry if I didn't explain very well.

There is nothing wrong with the facts of what you are saying here.

What I'm trying to point out is that people may not appreciate the way you say it, your choice of words.

Obviously you are free to write what you want but I know that you've taken exception to being called condescending, arrogant, dismissive etc. before and I'm just trying to point out why this might be as you don't seem to recognise it.

Reasonable, diplomatic mode of conversation: "You can't really be certain."
Condescending, arrogant mode of conversation: "You have no idea. Really."

Thanks.
Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:31:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Please note that I'm not talking about buying a 1200 dollar set of headphones; I'm simply trying to find a solution to a problem that I'll be running into.

Also note that your logic fails on the fact that the "placebo effect" in audiophilia that you reference would naturally make me think my music sounded better, not worse. I simply noticed that my DCP/FLAC files (mainly my meditation tracks) sounded truer than the rather tinny mp3 FrostWire rips.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 4:38:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I can tell you that the difference between good headphones and the crappy Apple standards is HUGE. I remember the first time that I put in my Sony in-ears - I was skeptical, but when I hit play I literally (literally) almost fell out of my chair.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 2:21:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/9/2009 2:46:26 PM, feverish wrote:
Reasonable, diplomatic mode of conversation: "You can't really be certain."
Condescending, arrogant mode of conversation: "You have no idea. Really."

Right, you are saying I should not be accurate, but tone it down so it sounds nicer, even if it's less accurate.

I'll think about that.
So prove me wrong, then.