Oh god this question

FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:47:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I been bugged by this question lately.

If a smoke alarm catches on fire, does it go off?
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:51:00 PM
That's actually a really good question.

I would think that it would for a short while until it get's completely burnt.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:54:05 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:51:00 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:58:52 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:54:05 PM, TUF wrote:
At 3/12/2013 1:51:00 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

lol. I have a speaking class and I brought this up and my teacher and a classmate thinks it would go off.

What kind of wires do they have?
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:02:45 PM
I would think it would short out like bossyburrito said but I wouldn't try to put it out
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:43:45 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:47:21 PM, FrackJack wrote:
I been bugged by this question lately.

If a smoke alarm catches on fire, does it go off?

It is impossible for a smoke alarm to catch fire. A 9 volt battery "in the context it is being used" does not have enough amps to create the heat necessary to make it catch fire. And no, it would not go off even if there was a malfunction because the malfunction would render the sensor that sets it off useless or inoperable.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 5:13:22 PM
Possibly. I would try this and report back but I've always tried to avoid burning batteries. That just wouldn't end well.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:25:30 PM
At 3/12/2013 5:13:22 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Possibly. I would try this and report back but I've always tried to avoid burning batteries. That just wouldn't end well.

Solution: get someone else to do it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:29:09 PM
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:33:07 PM

I want to make clear the words "Context it is being used in" in my last post. Make no mistake, you "can" start a fire with a 9 volt battery.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:36:55 PM
It depends.

For instance, if part of the detecter that does the detecting is the first part to catch fire. Then in an optical detector, probably not. But in a ionization detector, I would think so. This being because the parts that detect are either flame resistant or very susceptible to flames, respectively. If the outer cassing is the first bit to catch fire, then I would assume it would go off, but not for very long.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:42:32 PM
Im sure theres a mythbusters episode that addresses this
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:43:20 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:29:09 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

This is bogus. You can clearly tell this smoke detector was packed with some sort of chemical as it burned for several seconds in a extreme manner. There is nothing inside of a smoke detector that would cause such a flare up. All there is, is a tiny circuit board. At best you could hook up a 110 volt to 220 and melt the circuit board. But this would require purposeful thinking. The same is true for a nine volt to either 110 or 220. It is not the fault of the smoke detector. It is the person purposely trying to make it malfunction. A properly connected smoke detector can not catch fire. And it is unlikely a improperly connected one will either. It will smoke maybe, but that's about it. It will short and trip the breaker.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:45:07 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:43:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 3/12/2013 8:29:09 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

This is bogus. You can clearly tell this smoke detector was packed with some sort of chemical as it burned for several seconds in a extreme manner. There is nothing inside of a smoke detector that would cause such a flare up. All there is, is a tiny circuit board. At best you could hook up a 110 volt to 220 and melt the circuit board. But this would require purposeful thinking. The same is true for a nine volt to either 110 or 220. It is not the fault of the smoke detector. It is the person purposely trying to make it malfunction. A properly connected smoke detector can not catch fire. And it is unlikely a improperly connected one will either. It will smoke maybe, but that's about it. It will short and trip the breaker.

"A faulty 9 Volts DC smoke alarm was over volted to 24 Volts AC and turbo charged with some KNO3 and C12H22O11"
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:48:51 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:25:30 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Solution: get someone else to do it.

Ober, will you set a smoke alarm on fire for me? :)
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:53:57 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:33:07 PM, sadolite wrote:

I want to make clear the words "Context it is being used in" in my last post. Make no mistake, you "can" start a fire with a 9 volt battery.

Yep. But I put that in the same class as "pouring gasoline on stuff, waiting a minute, then tossing a match at it". A lot of fun, but maybe not the best idea. But then again, I probably think that because I do something stupid every time I set fire to something. Last time I accidentally burned shingles made of asbestos... -_-
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 9:02:44 PM
At 3/12/2013 8:53:57 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Yep. But I put that in the same class as "pouring gasoline on stuff, waiting a minute, then tossing a match at it". A lot of fun, but maybe not the best idea. But then again, I probably think that because I do something stupid every time I set fire to something. Last time I accidentally burned shingles made of asbestos... -_-

I will flick a lit cigarette in a bucket gas outside any time. Gas doesn't burn, the fumes do. Now a thimble full of gas in a small enclosed area, whole different story.

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 12:03:58 AM
At 3/12/2013 9:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

I will flick a lit cigarette in a bucket gas outside any time. Gas doesn't burn, the fumes do. Now a thimble full of gas in a small enclosed area, whole different story.

Exactly. Which is why i try not to get gas fumes everywhere and then start a fire. Did that once and damn near burned my hair off. Was a great fire, though :)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 5:48:20 AM

Are you exaggerating about the shingles?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 3:42:35 PM
At 3/13/2013 5:48:20 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Are you exaggerating about the shingles?

Nope. True story. Stupid move on my part, but I didn't realize what they were until they were in the fire. :/
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 7:40:37 AM
I say it would go off until the wires are fried.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 8:02:15 PM
At 3/14/2013 7:40:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I say it would go off until the wires are fried.

It would not go off. The question being asked is if the smoke detector "itself" caught fire. It is impossible for a smoke detector to catch fire of it's own validity. Setting fire to a smoke dectector and a smoke detector catching fire are two different things.