brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 12:45:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Dear North American DDO members,

I need your help!

I am planning a new venture - a restaurant located in the Tampa Bay area of Florida (where most of my family live). However, being British, I am not quite sure what Americans are familiar with or willing to pay for in terms of food. If you are an American, please review the menu (reproduced in plain text form hereunder) and give me your opinions.

I would be particularly interested to know if there are any items that you are unfamiliar with or that you think would not be suitable.

With many thanks in advance,

Brian.

Mentally-Ill Bill's
Booze and Grub Emporium

MENU

Poor old Bill: he's mentally ill; but never mind that, he's also an incredibly talented chef who takes inspiration from around the world to create innovative and exciting dishes and we certainly hope you enjoy his extraordinary culinary creations as much as we take pleasure in serving them to you.

Starters

Soused herring, pickled egg and rocket salad

Anatolian red lentil soup (V)

Noisette of lamb on a bed of minted mushy peas

Flaked kipper and rice broth with poached egg

Deep-fried Camembert with raspberry jus (V)

Brawn, raw onion and red wine vinegar on buttered graubrot

Potato cake, black pudding, crispy bacon and grape stack

Spicy fried gluten and ho fan soup (V)

Mains

Lemon and herb-stuffed trout
With soy, garlic and lemongrass dressing, served with steamed Japanese sticky rice and choi sum in oyster sauce

Mentally-Ill Bill's massive mixed grill
Lamb chops, lambs kidneys, minted peas, pork steak, black pudding, white pudding, smoked bacon, pigs liver, bratwurst, stewed apples, loin of rabbit, venison sausage and grilled tomatoes served with spaetzle and a meaty onion and soy gravy in a boat

Wild mushroom Swabian dumplings (V)
Gently fried in garlic butter, drizzled with truffle oil, served on spaetzle coated with a delicate tomato and herb sauce

Sino-Anglo steak
Fillet or t-bone steak, cooked to your specification, served with ho fan in oyster sauce, grilled beefsteak tomatoes and choi sum

Garlic fruits de mer
Prawns, mussels, clams and gnocchi fried in garlic and herb butter and served with lemon wedges and sun-dried tomatoes

Tropical poultry curry
Pheasant, duck and chicken cooked in a spicy coconut and tomato massala served on a bed of deep-fried tofu

Hunter's stew
Diced venison and wild boar slow cooked in a rich and aromatic oriental sauce served with spaetzle and sauerkraut

Desserts

Caramelised tofu with exotic fruits (V)

Egg custard tart (V)

Oatmeal cookies in warm honey-sweetened soymilk (V)

Gooseberry cheesecake (V)

Apple and rhubarb crumble with vanilla ice cream (V)

Cheese and biscuits (V)
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 1:02:31 PM
Addendum:

1 - Add "rump steak" to 'Mentally-Ill Bill's massive mixed grill'

2 - "Wild mushrooms Swabian dumplings" should read "Wild mushrooms with Swabian dumplings"
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 1:38:33 PM
I'm not sure what most of those things are lol.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 2:12:59 PM
At 11/11/2009 1:02:31 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Addendum:

2 - "Wild mushrooms Swabian dumplings" should read "Wild mushrooms with Swabian dumplings"

I live relatively close to the Tampa Bay area, and I must say, your menu is far too sophisticated for most people in the region ;)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 2:39:00 PM
At 11/11/2009 2:12:59 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/11/2009 1:02:31 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Addendum:

I live relatively close to the Tampa Bay area, and I must say, your menu is far too sophisticated for most people in the region ;)

Thank you (I think)!

By the way, I think I should explain that spaetzle are small South German dumplings, black pudding is a pork blood and oatmeal sliced sausage, white pudding is a sweetish pork fat and oatmeal sliced sausage, ho fan are thick Chinese noodles and choi sum is a Chinese vegetable with thick white storks and spinach-like leaves that is a member of the mustard family.
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 2:45:08 PM
I would suggest a small description of what each dish actually is. I only understood half of it but thats because I visit Europe quite a bit :)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 3:12:17 PM
At 11/11/2009 2:45:08 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
I would suggest a small description of what each dish actually is. I only understood half of it but thats because I visit Europe quite a bit :)

Yes, I think that would be a good idea.

However, I once treated some business visitors from New York to a traditional English breakfast in a top London hotel. They all loved the black pudding (spicy pork blood and oatmeal sliced sausage) and asked what it was made of. When I told them, some of them spat it out!

Okay, it turned outb a couple of them were Jewish, but still!
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 3:24:52 PM
Those all look like some pretty expensive items. You can get some nice food (by my standards =) ) for ~$25 per entree, but your menu may have main dishes around $40.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 4:42:57 PM
Eggs,

Peruse the web for comparable American restaurants/web sites. The legitimate ones will have their menus and prices online.

Obviously, many factors play into this (location, competition, etc.), but at least you should get a starting point.

I hope this helps.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 5:10:45 AM
At 11/11/2009 4:42:57 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Eggs,

Peruse the web for comparable American restaurants/web sites. The legitimate ones will have their menus and prices online.

Obviously, many factors play into this (location, competition, etc.), but at least you should get a starting point.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I've thought long and hard about the location. Obviously, the more upscale districts attract more well-heeled and possibly more adventurous potential clients and I will be able to charge more, but then the rent is higher. It's swings and roundabouts really.

The London branch is the prototype and will open above a floating pub in a central London marina (where I also happen to live). The venue is not ultra-posh (the vessel used to be a small cruise ship on the River Rhine in Germany) so I can't charge too much, but there are lots of very rich people living locally and you can access the restaurant by private boat or scheduled high-speed catamaran service (as well as by road or tube train of course) so I am quite hopeful that it will be a success.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 5:22:45 AM
I'm sorry, can we go back to the part where you use the phrase 'mentally-ill Bill'? You'll forgive me if that doesn't sound especially appetizing.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 10:51:10 AM
At 11/12/2009 5:22:45 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
I'm sorry, can we go back to the part where you use the phrase 'mentally-ill Bill'? You'll forgive me if that doesn't sound especially appetizing.

No, perhaps not, but it's memorable and I thought "Mentally-Ill Bills" would reflect the eccentric nature of the dishes.

As it happens, there is a seafood restaurant in St Pete Beach, FL called "Filthy Phils" and I first went there just because of the curious name. Actually, it isn't at all filthy and the food is excellent (though perhaps not the cheapest).