Jump to topic:

US doesn't need to adopt the metric system

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:38:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The metric system is superior in nearly every regard to the imperial system currently used, but that's not to say it's necessary for the average person. Anyone who uses measurement systems on a daily basis has already adopted the metric system, so the people who would benefit most from switching to the metric system have already switched over. Most people don't convert measurements in their daily lives, and when they do, it's not important. For instance, people say things like "It's 5 miles that way," or "It weighs 3 pounds." This is the extent to which most people currently use measurements. There is no benefit to switching to the metric system for things like this, because there is no conversion happening. Essentially, if you haven't already converted to the metric system out of necessity, you probably don't need it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:32:09 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:38:57 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
The metric system is superior in nearly every regard to the imperial system currently used, but that's not to say it's necessary for the average person. Anyone who uses measurement systems on a daily basis has already adopted the metric system, so the people who would benefit most from switching to the metric system have already switched over. Most people don't convert measurements in their daily lives, and when they do, it's not important. For instance, people say things like "It's 5 miles that way," or "It weighs 3 pounds." This is the extent to which most people currently use measurements. There is no benefit to switching to the metric system for things like this, because there is no conversion happening. Essentially, if you haven't already converted to the metric system out of necessity, you probably don't need it.

All I do is measuring, The reason we haven't switched to the metric system believe it or not is because it is to complicated and people don't understand it. Americans can't fathom what a centimeter is, but they know what an inch is. Go figure. Plus the entire construction industry refuses to switch, so all related suppliers must stay the same. Centimeter, milliliter it's all Greek to the average person. Tell a person a milliliter is 1/1000 of a liter and their eyes glaze over.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:53:24 PM
Oh, we are going to have a powwow.

Do you have any idea how much trouble it causes any sort of scientist when normal people are too stubborn to switch to a system which is, by your own admission, superior? Do you know how much extra calculation is involved when some moron sends me spray bottles labelled in ounces instead of milliliters? When we are working with small concentrations we must convert units, round them often, and end up with a slightly off number when dealing with things which should never be slightly off. It's beyond infuriating. So not only do scientists have to remember metric, we have to remember the idiotic, ill-conceived imperial system and we have to keep track of which clients require which. Meanwhile, the average person, who insists upon using this revolting abortion of a measurement system, has no need to be familiar with a conversion scheme which can only be described as the incoherent ravings of a terminally syphilitic brain.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:57:45 PM
At 3/31/2013 10:53:24 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Do you have any idea how much trouble it causes any sort of scientist when normal people are too stubborn to switch to a system which is, by your own admission, superior? Do you know how much extra calculation is involved when some moron sends me spray bottles labelled in ounces instead of milliliters? When we are working with small concentrations we must convert units, round them often, and end up with a slightly off number when dealing with things which should never be slightly off. It's beyond infuriating. So not only do scientists have to remember metric, we have to remember the idiotic, ill-conceived imperial system and we have to keep track of which clients require which. Meanwhile, the average person, who insists upon using this revolting abortion of a measurement system, has no need to be familiar with a conversion scheme which can only be described as the incoherent ravings of a terminally syphilitic brain.

This
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:02:12 PM
16 and 24 inches on center. 18, 30 and 34 inches from the floor. That aint never gonna change and that is why we will never convert. And lets not forget the 2x4x6 the 2x4x8 and the 2x4x12 that are realy not those dimensions. LOL

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:07:05 PM

Hmm, you may have changed my mind.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 11:33:41 PM
At 3/31/2013 11:07:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Hmm, you may have changed my mind.

Go now and sin no more ;)
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:08:51 PM
At 3/31/2013 10:32:09 PM, sadolite wrote:

All I do is measuring, The reason we haven't switched to the metric system believe it or not is because it is to complicated and people don't understand it. Americans can't fathom what a centimeter is, but they know what an inch is. Go figure. Plus the entire construction industry refuses to switch, so all related suppliers must stay the same. Centimeter, milliliter it's all Greek to the average person. Tell a person a milliliter is 1/1000 of a liter and their eyes glaze over.

Complicated? Complicated? What is so complicated about a system where everything is built in units of 10? And where one gram of water is one milliliter of water? And where one milliliter is one cubic centimeter? You can't do that with the imperial system. The metric system is only 'complicated' because it is unfamiliar to us. When we know it, however, it is elegantly simple.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 4:31:06 PM
At 4/1/2013 12:08:51 PM, drhead wrote:
At 3/31/2013 10:32:09 PM, sadolite wrote:

Complicated? Complicated? What is so complicated about a system where everything is built in units of 10? And where one gram of water is one milliliter of water? And where one milliliter is one cubic centimeter? You can't do that with the imperial system. The metric system is only 'complicated' because it is unfamiliar to us. When we know it, however, it is elegantly simple.

Be proud, you are not the average person.

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 5:32:37 PM
Driving in the US is a nightmare. My speedometer has miles in increments of 20, so if it weren't for my GPS converting the speed limit to km, I wouldn't know how fast I'm supposed to be driving :/

And the gallon/ounce/ whatever else is soo confusing to convert within its own system, let alone between systems.
yang.