Jump to topic:

Chris Langan Interview

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 6:29:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You can also feel his arrogance and undeserved superiority.

He may have an IQ higher then Stephen Hawking, but lets see him even try and do the kind of purely mental calculations Hawking does. And he doesn't understand something that Hawking does. Regardless of how smart you are, you don't get to assume people can't know something you don't.

He's smarter then most people can dream of being. But he is much to arrogant to fully use his potential.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 7:13:55 AM
"Chris Langan is the world's smartest man"

Intelligence cannot be measured by a number.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 7:15:28 AM
At 4/1/2013 7:13:55 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Tell that to Mensa.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 8:15:32 AM
"Smart"
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 9:32:13 AM
At 4/1/2013 6:29:12 AM, muzebreak wrote:

He may have an IQ higher then Stephen Hawking, but lets see him even try and do the kind of purely mental calculations Hawking does. And he doesn't understand something that Hawking does. Regardless of how smart you are, you don't get to assume people can't know something you don't.

He's smarter then most people can dream of being. But he is much to arrogant to fully use his potential.

Chris worked for a decade to construct a theory of everything and presents it for free on his website (it's quite complex and esoteric) . I wouldn't say he's just been sitting around.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 9:36:24 AM
At 4/1/2013 7:13:55 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

It can be gauged...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:00:44 AM
At 4/1/2013 9:32:13 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Chris worked for a decade to construct a theory of everything and presents it for free on his website (it's quite complex and esoteric) . I wouldn't say he's just been sitting around.

Neither would I. What I would say, is that his 'theory' is intellectual masturbation. Its a bunch of stuff, strung together, that makes sense but has no real grounding in reality. That's why no scientists or philosophers take it as anything more then I have said. It is nice. It might fit. But it isn't real.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:04:37 AM
At 4/1/2013 10:00:44 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Neither would I. What I would say, is that his 'theory' is intellectual masturbation. Its a bunch of stuff, strung together, that makes sense but has no real grounding in reality. That's why no scientists or philosophers take it as anything more then I have said. It is nice. It might fit. But it isn't real.

It's irrelevant if his theory is valid for the point I'm making. I'd like to know how you jump to the conclusion that said theory is 'intellectual masturbation,' with no ties to reality.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 10:20:14 AM
At 4/1/2013 10:04:37 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

It's irrelevant if his theory is valid for the point I'm making. I'd like to know how you jump to the conclusion that said theory is 'intellectual masturbation,' with no ties to reality.

I didn't 'jump to the conclusion' so your inquiry into that is pointless. But if you would like to know how I came to that conclusion, then the answer is simply. I looked into it, and came to my own conclusion based on the data I have perused.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 2:44:01 PM
At 4/1/2013 10:20:14 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/1/2013 10:04:37 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I didn't 'jump to the conclusion' so your inquiry into that is pointless. But if you would like to know how I came to that conclusion, then the answer is simply. I looked into it, and came to my own conclusion based on the data I have perused.

If you didn't read his work personally and have no specific objections, I won't be giving your position much credence.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 6:30:50 PM
If his potential is used to serve his own interests and increase his own well-being, then it's full stop here. He is not obliged to do anything more.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:05:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In your line 'intellectual masturbation(?),' you miss the point--unable to connect the dots, missing the picture that Chris has painted.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 10:07:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/21/2014 9:05:06 PM, 002682 wrote:
In your line 'intellectual masturbation(?),' you miss the point--unable to connect the dots, missing the picture that Chris has painted.

Whose alt is this?