The DDO Georgia Guidestones

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 6:02:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org...

1.Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2.Guide reproduction wisely " improving fitness and diversity.
3.Unite humanity with a living new language.
4.Rule passion " faith " tradition " and all things with tempered reason.
5.Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6.Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7.Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8.Balance personal rights with social duties.
9.Prize truth " beauty " love " seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth " Leave room for nature " Leave room for nature.

Lets create a refined version - What on this list should be kept, what should be removed, what should be added (the goal is not to debate specifics, ex: don't say no to one religion because you can't decide which religion).

The Georgia Guidestones are pretty much one person's idea/plan to unify the world.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 6:24:57 PM
At 4/6/2013 6:02:44 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

10.Be not a cancer on the earth " Leave room for nature " Leave room for nature.

Lets create a refined version - What on this list should be kept, what should be removed, what should be added (the goal is not to debate specifics, ex: don't say no to one religion because you can't decide which religion).

The Georgia Guidestones are pretty much one person's idea/plan to unify the world.

Ah, well, if he cares about the planet, I guess that makes killing six billion people and creating a worldwide eugenics program totally Kosher. In fact, I might volunteer at the slaughterhouse myself!
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 6:53:25 AM
Apparently some people think that these are the Ten Commandments of the Anti-Christ . . . How horrible of someone to advocate peace.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 9:51:53 AM
At 4/7/2013 6:54:16 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I mean, it's true that we have overpopulated the Earth, but I'm not sure what we can do about it.

Maybe... could we alter it? I mean, I see what the guy was saying, because honestly the earth has a better chance of surviving with us gone completely.

I say limit the population on earth after we are colonizing other planets... hopefully we can still save the earth, despite the unneeded dipshiits
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 11:16:11 AM
"Social duties"
No.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 5:22:00 PM
At 4/6/2013 6:02:44 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

This isn't a plan--it's just a list of injunctions. For instance:

Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.

Nobody would disagree with this because, insofar as things like justice and fairness are defined in terms of favorability to human interests, it's trivial. If a group of people were to take this list of guidelines and attempt to found a culture on them, it seems unreasonable, if and when the whole thing falls apart, to just insist again on using the guidelines--there'd really be no accountability that way, because the door would always be open to reformist platitudes. Politics is never that direct or that easy--I'm reminded of the passage in Kafka's "In the Penal Colony" where, following the Diplomat's refusal to speak in favor of the penal apparatus to the new Commandant, the Officer straps himself into the machine after calibrating it to inscribe the injunction "Be Just" into his flesh. Rather than revealing to him the knowledge he seeks--in their last moments, the Officer remarks, the machine's victims come, "through their wounds", to understand both their judgment and the nature of their crime--the machine instead malfunctions, brutally eviscerating the Officer.

Seems to me like these "guidestones" are nothing but a demand that the rulers be just, something which is not only trivial (since one make that demand universally, whether of governors, private corporations, or unicorns), but which, coming in the form of a command, will probably just end up destroying the machine into which it's programmed.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 5:27:37 PM
I mean, it's true that we have overpopulated the Earth, but I'm not sure what we can do about it.

Initiate 2.

Make laws preventing those without government permission from having children. This allows for us to control the population flow.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 5:34:21 PM
At 4/7/2013 9:51:53 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:

Maybe... could we alter it? I mean, I see what the guy was saying, because honestly the earth has a better chance of surviving with us gone completely.

Howso? I always find this argument immensely entertaining. I'll let George fire the opening salvo:

I say limit the population on earth after we are colonizing other planets... hopefully we can still save the earth, despite the unneeded dipshiits
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -