Jump to topic:

Constructed languages.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 10:02:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm trying to write a book with a really abstract language for the main characters. Has anyone ever constructed a language?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 6:34:58 AM
Not exactly constructed. The base was still English. It goes something like this:

Shi ay shonder way shif ay shou llyay shet gay sh!t ay.

Its easy to break though.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 10:45:01 AM
At 4/6/2013 10:02:48 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
I'm trying to write a book with a really abstract language for the main characters. Has anyone ever constructed a language?

In case you didn't know, there is a body of work devoted to Tolkien's constructed languges, some of which is painfully academic. That would be required reading if you are serious about this character.

I've played around with constructing my own languages before. I like the idea of starting with English and evolving it in this or that direction... so it ends up looking like English might after a few thousand years of evolution.

I'm not sure what you mean by abstract. If you have a certain sound you are going for, I would investigate other natural languages that have a similar sound and base your language off that. For example, Tolkien based Elvish off Finnish and Welsh, if I rememeber correctly, because he loved the way those languages sound and he wanted Elvish to be beautiful.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it