Jump to topic:

should pitbulls be kept as pets?

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 7:44:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have been watching some nasty videos and I was wondering if these animals should be kept as pets, or at least not walked in public... What do you think?

http://youtube.com...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM
No. I am probably biased because I am one of the few people on here that hates animals but Pitbulls are naturally more aggressive than the average dog which increases the likelihood that it will attack other dogs and humans. I don't think society should have to see Pitbulls running around the neighborhood. Leashes are a deterrent but it would be unreasonable to assume that 100% of Pitbulls will always be leashed. They could reach you from their leash. Their owner could have been walking them inside their gates with the gate open and have gone in to answer a quick phone call and the Pitbull can come and attack you if you are walking outside the gate.

Running for exercise is also dangerous in a community that has dogs even more so with Pitbulls because they are hyper-aggressive. Dogs see anything that runs as prey so if they see you running, they will chase you. The harms of dogs outweigh any benefits (health, companionship, or otherwise) that result from having them present in the community. I am all for communities consisting solely of humans with no fast, carnivorous animals. "Fast" refers to animals that can outrun humans. Carnivorous excludes cows and other animals that cannot harm humans. I am okay with animals that move slower than humans and are herbivores and incapable of harming humans.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:12:37 PM
At 4/12/2013 8:09:10 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Pitbulls are naturally more aggressive than the average dog

I'm not sure that has actually been established with any reliability. Also: pitbulls is often used as an over-broad term for animals that are not, in fact, pitbulls, but "look similar".
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:16:23 PM
At 4/12/2013 8:12:37 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I'm not sure that has actually been established with any reliability. Also: pitbulls is often used as an over-broad term for animals that are not, in fact, pitbulls, but "look similar".

It indeed has, pitbull attacks account for a large majority of dog attacks in the U.S. and more often inflict bodily harm, maim, or kill than any other breed.

In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans and accounted for 60% of the total recorded deaths. The statistics back up the whole pit bulls are dangerous thing...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:16:46 PM
http://www.dogsbite.org...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:45:04 PM
No. I am probably biased because I am one of the few people on here that hates animals but Pitbulls are naturally more aggressive than the average dog which increases the likelihood that it will attack other dogs and humans. I don't think society should have to see Pitbulls running around the neighborhood. Leashes are a deterrent but it would be unreasonable to assume that 100% of Pitbulls will always be leashed. They could reach you from their leash. Their owner could have been walking them inside their gates with the gate open and have gone in to answer a quick phone call and the Pitbull can come and attack you if you are walking outside the gate.

Running for exercise is also dangerous in a community that has dogs even more so with Pitbulls because they are hyper-aggressive. Dogs see anything that runs as prey so if they see you running, they will chase you. The harms of dogs outweigh any benefits (health, companionship, or otherwise) that result from having them present in the community. I am all for communities consisting solely of humans with no fast, carnivorous animals. "Fast" refers to animals that can outrun humans. Carnivorous excludes cows and other animals that cannot harm humans. I am okay with animals that move slower than humans and are herbivores and incapable of harming humans.

Do you advocate outlawing black people?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 8:50:28 PM
Friends neighbor once had a mix pitbul, rottweiler and some other mean dog breed which escapes me at the moment. Needles to say we avoided that yard at all costs, it bit multiple people.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:45:19 PM
At 4/12/2013 8:16:23 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:12:37 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

It indeed has, pitbull attacks account for a large majority of dog attacks in the U.S. and more often inflict bodily harm, maim, or kill than any other breed.

That doesn't prove they're inherently worse. There are a combination of factors that are included in that.

In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans and accounted for 60% of the total recorded deaths. The statistics back up the whole pit bulls are dangerous thing...

But only if you look at raw data. Imagine that ALL dogs were equally agressive...just statistically, it wouldn't be surprising for one breed to have a higher number.

Pit Bulls used to be called the "nursemaid breed".

But, there are a lot of D-Bags who own them, and breed them for fighting. That's an owner problem, though, not a breed one. Courts have regularly ruled that there's no evidence of genetic reason for aggressiveness AFAIK.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:46:55 PM
At 4/12/2013 9:06:00 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 4/12/2013 8:45:04 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

No, what does that have anything to do with outlawing animals?

http://robertlindsay.files.wordpress.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 9:59:02 PM
At 4/12/2013 9:46:55 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 4/12/2013 9:06:00 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

No, what does that have anything to do with outlawing animals?

http://robertlindsay.files.wordpress.com...

I get the analogy you're drawing, but as much of a dog lover as I am (don't own pitbulls, though, on a side note, nope, 2 pugs and a teacup chihuaha and I'm not bitter about only owning small dogs at all...), the situations are not analogous. People are a separate class from animals.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:00:23 PM
I've had tons of pets, about a dozen of which were dogs. There were three of them that were the most amazing, sweet dogs I have ever seen. Guess what? They were pitbulls. It was the beagle that bit people.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:01:44 PM
At 4/12/2013 11:00:23 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I've had tons of pets, about a dozen of which were dogs. There were three of them that were the most amazing, sweet dogs I have ever seen. Guess what? They were pitbulls. It was the beagle that bit people.

You must be one hell of a pitbull tamer. For some reason dogs always bark menacingly at me evertime I come near them.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:05:20 PM
At 4/12/2013 11:01:44 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

You must be one hell of a pitbull tamer. For some reason dogs always bark menacingly at me evertime I come near them.

Bark back. Works for me!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:07:28 PM
At 4/12/2013 11:05:20 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Bark back. Works for me!

LOL. Gotta sig this.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 11:44:03 PM

It was partially that I chose dogs that were already sweethearts, but yeah. Animals like me, never really knew why. Except that beagle, that dog was just a sh!thead. By some perverse miracle, it actually managed to screw up the stove by chewing on it. To this day I have no idea how.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:18:35 AM

The funny thing is that i have heard tons of these stories, about pitbulls being really sweet, but than having a random attack on another dog that seems to surprise the owner. Despite being sweet, I think its more of a protectivw instinctual type of thing ya know?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:20:00 AM
f-16, I didnt know you hated animals. Some deep rooted negative history with one or something?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:22:06 AM
see the thing is I don't know if I am actually against keepi.g them as pets. It's true these videos are shocking and emotionally can trigger arguments against them, but I was specifically looking up pitbull attacks. im sure there kitten attacks out there somewhere too if I really wanted to search haha
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 9:27:23 AM

do you want to know why they bark at you. its almost like a negative feeling transfer. if you don't like animals, and your around a dog or cat they almost no that you don't like them. then they get angry and get pissed at you. hear read this: http://www.petplace.com...
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 1:08:28 PM
I think that if you advocate banning pitbulls for the potentiality of them causing bodily harm to humans or other animals, then you fall down a very slippery slope. Potentiality is obviously a very important term here as not every pit bull is inherently aggressive. Therefore, if you go by the logic that pit bulls should be outlawed because they constitute a bodily threat to individuals or animals, then it logically follows that anything that carries the potentiality of bodily threat should be banned,i.e., knives, baseball bats, etc...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 1:11:15 PM
At 4/13/2013 9:27:23 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

do you want to know why they bark at you. its almost like a negative feeling transfer. if you don't like animals, and your around a dog or cat they almost no that you don't like them. then they get angry and get pissed at you. hear read this: http://www.petplace.com...

Your article says that scientifically that isn't true and then goes on to inject their own opinion about dogs even though the scientific consensus contradicts their opinion which is fine. But if I have to believe dog behavioralists vs the biased, emotional opinions of the owners, I am going with the scientific explanation although I'll probably research more on it to figure out how they came to that conclusion.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 5:38:44 PM

I agree. I've been scarred by a Pitbull before, so naturally I don't think these dogs should be kept as pets.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 5:46:25 PM
At 4/13/2013 5:38:44 PM, Contra wrote:

I agree. I've been scarred by a Pitbull before, so naturally I don't think these dogs should be kept as pets.

Isn't all the emotional crap for lefities?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 5:50:21 PM
At 4/13/2013 1:11:15 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 4/13/2013 9:27:23 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Your article says that scientifically that isn't true and then goes on to inject their own opinion about dogs even though the scientific consensus contradicts their opinion which is fine. But if I have to believe dog behavioralists vs the biased, emotional opinions of the owners, I am going with the scientific explanation although I'll probably research more on it to figure out how they came to that conclusion.

Do you have some dog behavioralists who say that? Because dogsbite.org is not a neutral scientific source.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 4:40:34 PM
At 4/15/2013 4:35:05 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Let's ban species! http://youtu.be...

Are you being payed for this?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 7:55:58 PM
At 4/15/2013 4:40:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 4/15/2013 4:35:05 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Let's ban species! http://youtu.be...

Are you being payed for this?

Yes. http://tinyurl.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:29:46 AM

Nothing personal, I don't know you, but if I knew how to nominate for the "Weekly Stupid" this would get a nomination.

As someone said, dogs and people are different classes of animals.

I'm sure you meant to be ironic, and not racist, but the classing of people according to color is inherently racist.

The people in prison have thousands (or more) characteristics by which to be classified. Using skin pigmentation to lump people together is obviously ignorant.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...