11/19/2009 12:15:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/19/2009 11:55:50 AM, comoncents wrote:
Cities

and

Universities...

In your opinion...

Liberal, all of them.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:41:21 PM
At 11/19/2009 12:15:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 11/19/2009 11:55:50 AM, comoncents wrote:
Cities

and

Universities...

In your opinion...

Liberal, all of them.

BYU???
not so liberal... but to religious or me

texas a&m
or uni of dallas seem to be good...

I was looking for a non religious, non neo-conservative, conservative college...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:52:47 PM
Northwestern, UVA, George Washington, University of San Diego, and George Mason University are all good conservative law schools that aren't religous.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 12:56:00 PM
Brown U. is extremely lib. The staff and students wore black after Bush was re-elected.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 2:03:56 PM
At 11/19/2009 12:56:00 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Brown U. is extremely lib. The staff and students wore black after Bush was re-elected.

LOL!
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 2:07:06 PM
While some universities are considered to be more liberal than others, there's usuaully a mix or at least several ideologies represented around campus if not in the classrooms themselves. For instance, at Rutgers University (where I went to school) I'd say that the campus was pretty liberal... As in, I didn't get harassed when I walked around holding my girlfriend's hand. However, there were a bunch of groups on campus dedicated to the republican party and libertarian party just as much as the liberal party. In fact, the conservatives had their own conservative school newspaper. Of course schools in the Boston or NYC area are probably going to be more liberal, but remember that it's the student body who makes up this demographic; not the instituion themselves. So, blame the liberalness on the age, I guess. Remember that people are only liberal until they get a job and have to start paying taxes :P
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 4:23:10 PM
At 11/19/2009 12:52:47 PM, Nags wrote:
Northwestern, UVA, George Washington, University of San Diego, and George Mason University are all good conservative law schools that aren't religous.

USD is pretty Catholic. Beautiful campus.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 5:42:18 PM
At 11/19/2009 2:07:06 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Remember that people are only liberal until they get a job and have to start paying taxes :P

That's not true actually. I know of many people who would be considered liberal, at least by the American definition of liberal and pay taxes.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:16:02 PM

UVA is liberal... really liberal
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:21:56 PM

I am looking for uni's that i can suggest to my little girl over the years...
I am leaning to byu...

I was in the military and think it shoves respect down everyone's throat... i want that discipline for my little ones with out them having to go into the military or be forced to religion.

University of Dallas...?

BYU code...
"Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code"

I like it, except for "Participate regularly in church services"
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 10:35:59 PM
At 11/19/2009 10:23:45 PM, philosphical wrote:
BYU and SNOW, and SLCC, all conservative

Can you go to BYU and be agnostic?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 11:38:39 PM
Comoncents, why are you thinking about colleges for your kid, like, 14 years in advance? You have no idea what she wants to do, where she wants to go, what schools will suit HER needs, what programs she's looking for, what you will be able to afford, etc etc etc. This is kind of crazy lol I think you should chill out. Not to mention that BYU is that mormon school in Utah, right? I think choosing what college you go to is like the first major decision you make for yourself as an "adult" and one I really appreciated and looked forward to. You looking into this for your kid way in advance kind of takes that way, maybe.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 11:54:54 PM
At 11/19/2009 11:38:39 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Comoncents, why are you thinking about colleges for your kid, like, 14 years in advance? You have no idea what she wants to do, where she wants to go, what schools will suit HER needs, what programs she's looking for, what you will be able to afford, etc etc etc. This is kind of crazy lol I think you should chill out. Not to mention that BYU is that mormon school in Utah, right? I think choosing what college you go to is like the first major decision you make for yourself as an "adult" and one I really appreciated and looked forward to. You looking into this for your kid way in advance kind of takes that way, maybe.

I understand what you are saying... but...

I was never pushed to go to college and my wife was pushed to go to UVA.
She was influenced by her parents to go to UVA through following there football team and always being told "that was a great school"...

She went and found it to be extremely liberal... her roommates were not encouraged to put academics first and allowed to have orgies and drink at all hours of the night.
I want to pay for my kid to have an education, so I want it to be a focused curriculum that does not force her to believe in god.

Since parents have an influence toward their child's college, I would like her to go to a school that will have her focus on education, as well as instilled good moral backing further than I have in her 18 years.

She is 3 and already calls elders ma'am and sir...
I have geared her to be free but also have respect, moral characteristics, and good character.
I would like to promote a college that is going to do the same... without having her in West Point, or joining the military...

It may come off as controlling, but it really is not meant that way...
If I have told her that byu is a great school and showed her it is where I would like her to go... and she comes to me and tells me that she wants to go to Yale, I will not look at her and tell her that I refuse to pay unless she goes to the school I recommend... I would be happy to pay... but I want to guide her to stay with in her conservative upbringing, establish a respect by having a military based regimen, and focus on strict academic studies...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 12:08:33 AM
Comoncents, your idea of a "liberal university" is one that allows orgies and students to drink?

Mate, that is any flipping university/college/normalized educational facility. I highly doubt you're going to find any less partying at BYU than UVA.

And in all honesty, if your wife took part in all of that stuff, then that was her decision - she, or you, can't blame it on how "liberal" the school was. Because it is not the school that forces such things on the students - it is the willingness of the individuals involved that makes them take part.

So, instead of choosing a "conservative" university or college, teach your daughter about responsibility and self-confidence. You'd actually get somewhere and probably the results you want.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 12:20:55 AM
At 11/20/2009 12:08:33 AM, Volkov wrote:
Comoncents, your idea of a "liberal university" is one that allows orgies and students to drink?

Mate, that is any flipping university/college/normalized educational facility. I highly doubt you're going to find any less partying at BYU than UVA.

And in all honesty, if your wife took part in all of that stuff, then that was her decision - she, or you, can't blame it on how "liberal" the school was. Because it is not the school that forces such things on the students - it is the willingness of the individuals involved that makes them take part.

So, instead of choosing a "conservative" university or college, teach your daughter about responsibility and self-confidence. You'd actually get somewhere and probably the results you want.

your idea of liberal is different than the way I intended.
I am instilling conservatism, responsibility, and self-confidence... but I was hoping to push a college that will do the same... As a parent, I think about stuff a lot differently then most the people here... but I also know that the people her are visiting colleges and hoped I would have someone that is attending colleges or visited many colleges to give me the scoop.

I know it does not make a ton of sense to most of you but it is a reality. Like I said... I was given no goals and turned into a student that did not care where I was going to go, b/c I knew I would go somewhere... I see that mentality all the time in kids that parents do not give them a goal... like ND, or BYU. And since I am providing a opportunity to have this college goal, why not promote a college that lines up with my beliefs and will have her focus on college...

not "sex just to have sex", but education and looking for a mate that will be just that a "mate"
not having the influence to party like a rock star

Allowing study time, curfew, and the respect the military instilled in me...
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 12:23:22 AM
At 11/20/2009 12:08:33 AM, Volkov wrote:

"if your wife took part in all of that stuff"
she did not, but it was right there and she was pushed to be that way...
She is conservative also and does not agree with me... she is more like TheLwerd.. saying... Let her make the choice... but i will, i just want to give her a goal that will help her out in the end... like BYU...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 12:32:47 AM
Comon, if you want the "respect the military" instilled in you, send her to a military school. You won't get it from universities, no matter how "conservative" they're said to be. Even the evangelical colleges are pretty bad in terms of this discipline you wish to be enforced on your daughter.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 12:37:12 AM
At 11/20/2009 12:32:47 AM, Volkov wrote:
Comon, if you want the "respect the military" instilled in you, send her to a military school. You won't get it from universities, no matter how "conservative" they're said to be. Even the evangelical colleges are pretty bad in terms of this discipline you wish to be enforced on your daughter.

I know but i was hoping for at least one...
BYU is like that...

I do not want to push her to military schools... as she will have to give them some sort of commitment.

I guess I am out of luck as a parent...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 2:16:43 PM
You're hellbent on sending your child to a conservative university, 15 years in advance? You think that will ensure she gets a good education? That is absolutely psychotic. Schools are schools and you can make of them almost anything you want. There is no place where she is going to have anything forced down her throat. There is also no place where she's going to be forced to drink and have orgies (which is also a ridiculous claim.) Luckily for your daughter, she'll probably be 18 by the time you guys are trying to make this decision and will have significantly more leeway on what she does than you will (especially in college.)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 11:47:37 PM
How's about instilling respect for the military by showing her some of that liberty it fights for ;)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 1:04:32 AM
At 11/20/2009 11:47:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How's about instilling respect for the military by showing her some of that liberty it fights for ;)

Funny
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 1:06:00 AM
At 11/20/2009 2:16:43 PM, LeafRod wrote:
You're hellbent on sending your child to a conservative university, 15 years in advance? You think that will ensure she gets a good education? That is absolutely psychotic. Schools are schools and you can make of them almost anything you want. There is no place where she is going to have anything forced down her throat. There is also no place where she's going to be forced to drink and have orgies (which is also a ridiculous claim.) Luckily for your daughter, she'll probably be 18 by the time you guys are trying to make this decision and will have significantly more leeway on what she does than you will (especially in college.)

Your missing the point... i am not trying to shove it down her throat, but trying to set further goals for her...

I think i may go with University of Notre Dame.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 8:25:38 AM
Ima lol if Comoncents daughter turns out a Liberal :P.

Comon basically, every college features drinking, parties, and maybe even orgies. You can't avoid due to the ideological make up of students, they're all horny 18-22 year olds with too much alcohol and too much time. Simply put, you can try, but in the end of the day it's down to her where she goes. You can recommend, but ultimatley she'll pick it based one her educational path rather than it turning her into a good, obedient, chaste, conservative girl.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.