Jump to topic:

Sports

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:48:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why are they so popular? Why do people pay money to go sit in a chair along with 100,000 other people, and watch, from hundreds of yards away, a bunch of people running around and kicking and throwing balls? Why do people go crazy over teams they randomly decided to support. I don't get it. What's the explanation?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:58:59 PM
Dissatisfaction with our own spiritual reality leading to a pathological externalization of our "selves" on to a foreign entity which gives us the illusion of self-fulfillment?

Lol can you imagine
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:03:27 PM
At 4/20/2013 9:58:59 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dissatisfaction with our own spiritual reality leading to a pathological externalization of our "selves" on to a foreign entity which gives us the illusion of self-fulfillment?

Lol can you imagine

Are you kidding? Sports are fun to watch. Why do you watch movies or play video games? It's entertainment.

Some people find it fun, some don't.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:08:27 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:03:27 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Lol can you imagine

Are you kidding? Sports are fun to watch. Why do you watch movies or play video games? It's entertainment.

They're just not the same. A movie has an organized plot, involves something like a vicarious involvement in the events that happen. Sports is just running around and trying to get a ball in a hoop/goal/hole... And the people whose lives tend to run around sports tend to be on the obnoxious side.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:11:16 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:08:27 PM, 000ike wrote:

Lol can you imagine

They're just not the same. A movie has an organized plot, involves something like a vicarious involvement in the events that happen. Sports is just running around and trying to get a ball in a hoop/goal/hole... And the people whose lives tend to run around sports tend to be on the obnoxious side.

Who cares how entertainment is achieved if entertainment is the ultimate goal of the activity?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:13:18 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:11:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Lol can you imagine

Who cares how entertainment is achieved if entertainment is the ultimate goal of the activity?

I'm just asking what part of it is entertaining - since it's an absolute mystery to me.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:15:33 PM

I think you nailed it here. Sports fans vicariously want their team to win often referring to their favored team as "us" instead of "them."

Just as you root for the protagonist in a movie, fans root for their team. They like their team for plenty of reasons, sometimes because it is their hometown, other times random.

The plot and the theme of sports is nothing but the rules of the game. Within a set number of rules and environment, teams compete for victory. Watching them do so is entertaining even more than a movie because this time, you don't always know that the protagonist (your team) will win.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:15:42 PM

Lol can you imagine

I was half-joking. My ruminations on the matter are likely predicated just as much on my lack of interest in sports as they are on any actual investigation.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:19:56 PM
Not as much watching them, but competing in sports is incredibly fun. I don't think theres anything I find more enjoyable than playing basketball.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:26:21 PM
I hate that sports are so integrated into the educational system that one's physical ability should be a factor in one's chances at getting accepted into a university. As if physical deftness will have uses in the classroom...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:33:14 PM
I don't understand the complete devotion to one team either, I'll cheer for the team based close to me or the underdog but I'm not buying an overpriced jersey and going to every game.
Its kind of like nationalism, except one leads to death and destruction and the other is almost entirely harmless.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:11:53 PM
There's several reasons they appeal to people. One is that the collective movements you see from the players on the field is entertaining. As an analogy, most people would pay some amount of money to see the two greatest swordsmen in the world fight it out. Why? Because sword fighting looks cool. Similarly, sports fans find things like long touchdown runs, dunks, trick plays, and well-executed goals to also be cool to see.

The second reason is the amount of strategy in the game. Football and basketball (really, almost all sports) have an insane level of strategy to them, to the extent that announcers will often refer to close games as a "chess match" between coaches. There's a gazillion things that factor into the outcome of a game, including talent, scheme (which encompasses a a hundred factors on its own), coaching, chemistry, weather, where the game is played, certain players over or under-performing, and a hell of a lot more. Once you've watched a sport long enough to where you fully understand how each of those factors works, its a great experience to see all of them coming into play on the field. The level of strategy is extreme, and a lot of non-sports fans don't realize that.

This also relates to the comparison you made in the OP. You related sports to a bunch of guys running around playing with balls. Pun intended. But Chess can just as easily be described as 2 men moving pieces of rock across a board. Why the hell would people be into that? Like sports, its because there's a lot of planning and calculating going on behind the scenes.

The third reason is essentially what F-16 said. A lot of sports fans begin to associate themselves with a team because its from their hometown (or some other reason) and they want to see their teams go out and represent the state.

The fourth reason is that year-in and year-out, sports have amazing storylines. Some of them are so popular that you even hear CNN and other non-sports networks talking about them. For instance, Tebow Mania, Linsanity, and Replacement Ref Madness are sports stories that were so massive that every news network mentioned them at some point. Other examples can include underdog stories, players overcoming huge adversity, players causing negative drama, and a whole bunch of other things that intrigue people and make them interested in the sport.

Thats just a few reasons people watch them.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:27:10 PM
Sports offer people a group to be a part of thus they offer individuals transcendence- a chance to be a small part of something that's bigger than themselves.

Humans love that sh1t.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:33:01 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:27:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
Sports offer people a group to be a part of thus they offer individuals transcendence- a chance to be a small part of something that's bigger than themselves.

Humans love that sh1t.

Like I said, pathological externalization ;)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:36:41 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:33:01 PM, Noumena wrote:

Humans love that sh1t.

hahah I wouldn't necessarily say pathological :P
It's a healthy way to live out a kind of groupthink that gives people a sense of togetherness in a way that doesn't hurt anybody (most of the time).

I have my transcendence on a dance floor or in a good conversation or in Doctor Who fandom :P
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:40:26 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:36:41 PM, Oryus wrote:

Humans love that sh1t.

It's a healthy way to live out a kind of groupthink that gives people a sense of togetherness in a way that doesn't hurt anybody (most of the time)

Perhaps it's in reality just an excuse to get hammered.

I have my transcendence on a dance floor or in a good conversation or in Doctor Who fandom :P

Doctor who oh my. Tell me more.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:40:31 PM
So that they dont have to hear their wives and kids complain all the time in their ear when they watch the game from home.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:41:16 PM
Wait is this thread about why people leave their homes to go watch sports or why people like sports in general?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:45:55 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:40:26 PM, Noumena wrote:

Humans love that sh1t.

It's a healthy way to live out a kind of groupthink that gives people a sense of togetherness in a way that doesn't hurt anybody (most of the time)

without a doubt. That's the only reason I'd go.

It's kind of complicated.... wibbly wobbly, timey wimey with a thing that goes "ding" when there's stuff.... you might not understand.
:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:48:03 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:40:26 PM, Noumena wrote:

Humans love that sh1t.

That may be true too... I'm not sure I'd watch baseball if drinking wasn't involved. Though sports are a good excuse to socialize and are as reasonable a distraction as anything else.

Also for those of us who like to argue about anything, sports are a good subject in which only the most crazy could ever get offended.

Debate.org Moderator
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:49:24 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:45:55 PM, Oryus wrote:

It's kind of complicated.... wibbly wobbly, timey wimey with a thing that goes "ding" when there's stuff.... you might not understand.

When I hear about doctor who the only thing which passes through my filters is something about cool bowties and a fascination with Van Gogh.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:50:58 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:49:24 PM, Noumena wrote:

When I hear about doctor who the only thing which passes through my filters is something about cool bowties and a fascination with Van Gogh.

Oh... the Van Gogh episode... I cried.. so many tears.
:
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:52:50 PM
At 4/20/2013 11:50:58 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/20/2013 11:49:24 PM, Noumena wrote:

Oh... the Van Gogh episode... I cried.. so many tears.

Him and I would have the most ginger babies ever.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:22:10 AM
At 4/20/2013 11:48:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

That may be true too... I'm not sure I'd watch baseball if drinking wasn't involved.

That's because baseball is really fvcking boring.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:26:31 AM
At 4/21/2013 12:22:10 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

That may be true too... I'm not sure I'd watch baseball if drinking wasn't involved.

Well yeah... but it's fun to drink, hang out with friends, and have a socially acceptable reason to scream at millionaires... I don't watch baseball on TV, but going to baseball games are a good time for those reasons. Add in some drama from a competitive team (something we know little about in Milwaukee) and it's an ever better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:29:40 AM
At 4/21/2013 12:26:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Well yeah... but it's fun to drink, hang out with friends, and have a socially acceptable reason to scream at millionaires... I don't watch baseball on TV, but going to baseball games are a good time for those reasons.

I agree. Baseball is more fun when you go to the stadium and overpay for beer.

Add in some drama from a competitive team (something we know little about in Milwaukee) and it's an ever better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

>.<
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:31:07 AM
At 4/21/2013 12:29:40 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 4/21/2013 12:26:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Well yeah... but it's fun to drink, hang out with friends, and have a socially acceptable reason to scream at millionaires... I don't watch baseball on TV, but going to baseball games are a good time for those reasons.

I agree. Baseball is more fun when you go to the stadium and overpay for beer.

Tailgate. Get a good buzz before stepping in the stadium and bring your own drinks. Be clever about it. Then you wont have to spend $30 on top of the ticket prices.

Add in some drama from a competitive team (something we know little about in Milwaukee) and it's an ever better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

>.<
Debate.org Moderator