Jump to topic:

Politics, Personality, and Music

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 9:48:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I find it funny that for months I haven't been able to find any kind of meaningful research on the connection between music and personality and ideology, and I end of finding it on wikipedia.

So it seems that musical preference is determined chiefly by a category called "openness to experience" from the five factor model of human personality. The higher one scores in this category the greater his penchant for complex musical patterns ( such as those in classical music and jazz). So enjoyment of music among these people is dependent on novelty - that is to say, they tend to dislike pieces the more they listen to them. It's also worth mentioning that high scorers tend not to listen to background music, so largely avert passive listening. Those who score low on openness to experience are the opposite of all that was mentioned.

This is where it gets even more interesting. Openness to experience strongly positively correlates with the following social characteristics:
1. Intelligence
2. Tolerance
3. Liberalism (I'm assuming they mean the social aspect of it)

Openness to experience strongly negatively correlates with the following social characteristics:
1. ethnocentricism
2. Right wing authoritarianism
3. Social dominance orientation (meaning the pursuit of power and superiority)
4. prejudice

However, it is also the case that economic Conservatism is strongly correlated with high openness to experience. As are drug use and sexual profligacy.

thoughts?

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 10:02:01 AM
How does this conclusion reconcile the fact that classical music was the predominant genre in a time of rampant racism, sexism, and just overall intolerance seen in the previous few centuries?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 10:20:12 AM
At 4/28/2013 10:02:01 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
How does this conclusion reconcile the fact that classical music was the predominant genre in a time of rampant racism, sexism, and just overall intolerance seen in the previous few centuries?

lol the only conceivable peak of racism, sexism and conformity that you could be referring to is the period of 1900 - 1960 in the United States. That period saw the expansion of standard music genres to jazz, pop, swing, and primeval rock, not classical music. Even then, in the preceding centuries, classical music was a larger and more expensive social affair that was often restricted the middle and upper classes. At best, the popularity of the home-standard vertical piano made the classics common among many western families, but even that is limited.

There is no evidence of a period in which high racism and sexism was in perfect concert with classical popularity, and even then, the two factors are not causative.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 10:30:02 AM
"lol the only conceivable peak of racism, sexism and conformity that you could be referring to is the period of 1900 - 1960 in the United States. "

Debatable lol
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 10:31:20 AM
Ya I don't think there's a correlation between racism and when most classical music was composed, but I'm also pretty sure the peak of racism and sexism wasn't 1900-1960.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 10:35:16 AM
I don't really dispute the conclusions as they apply to a specific time period. If one's musical preferences are complex for the time period and society one lives in, one will likely bear more of the attributes you mentioned COMPARED to his or her society.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 11:39:26 AM
I don't believe there is a correlation to anything. You are either a productive, useful, contributing member of society or your are a crying, whining, entitlement sucking, parasite on society. Regardless of your taste in music, your personality or politics.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 2:06:54 PM
At 4/28/2013 11:39:26 AM, sadolite wrote:
I don't believe there is a correlation to anything. You are either a productive, useful, contributing member of society or your are a crying, whining, entitlement sucking, parasite on society. Regardless of your taste in music, your personality or politics.

One's taste in music/politics don't CAUSE one to be one of the two opposites you mentioned (don't see why you would assume one or the other lol), but certain tastes are PRESENT in certain kinds of people.