Randomly asking English question.

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 5:12:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
To all the native English speakers:

Please explain to me why do you need an "s" to pluralized your noun. I mean if I said "there are three apples" why do I need to pluralized the apple when the sentence already it imply that it is three.

Asking for fun ;D
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 5:26:45 AM
At 5/5/2013 5:12:28 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Please explain to me why do you need an "s" to pluralized your noun. I mean if I said "there are three apples" why do I need to pluralized the apple when the sentence already it imply that it is three.

Asking for fun ;D

When it comes to the english language, never ask why...

an apple is singular, when there is more than one apple, the word changes. It doesn't matter that another part of the sentence may confirm there is more than one apple, since there is more than one apple, the entire word gets an extra letter.

This is not always the case. For example: sheep.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 5:58:51 AM
At 5/5/2013 5:26:45 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Asking for fun ;D

an apple is singular, when there is more than one apple, the word changes. It doesn't matter that another part of the sentence may confirm there is more than one apple, since there is more than one apple, the entire word gets an extra letter.

yeah, know that.

I just pretty mus curious, how do you feel when seeing situation like this, like why do you feel strange when somebody said 3 apple instead of apples? I mean I would not normally feel that the sentence has anything wrong until conform to the grammar system because the massage is already stated that there are 3 apples, so it automatically give me a massage that there are more than one object.
Scythe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 6:56:21 AM
At 5/5/2013 5:58:51 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Asking for fun ;D

yeah, know that.

I just pretty mus curious, how do you feel when seeing situation like this, like why do you feel strange when somebody said 3 apple instead of apples? I mean I would not normally feel that the sentence has anything wrong until conform to the grammar system because the massage is already stated that there are 3 apples, so it automatically give me a massage that there are more than one object.

I don't feel strange at all...
Decommissioned Hydra
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:11:23 AM

Asking for fun ;D

Because the number of something isn't always explicit.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:54:12 AM
At 5/5/2013 6:56:21 AM, Scythe wrote:

Asking for fun ;D

yeah, know that.

I don't feel strange at all...

so purely for communication purpose, pluralization is not exactly necessary?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 2:05:38 PM

Asking for fun ;D

Every language has silly rules which don't make sense, and are just part of a culturally reinforced linguistic order. The French have masculine and feminine nouns, for example. Japanese has many different conjugation schemes for varying levels of formality. Latin has its convoluted verb conjugation on top of many other things.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 6:43:08 PM
No idea. Same applies to Spanish, so it appears to be a common thing among languages--at least Romance languages--to change a word when pluralized.

For instance:

ENGLISH: Apple---> Three apples
SPANISH: Manzana---> Tres manzanas
ITALIAN: Mela---> Tre mele
FRENCH: Pomme---> Trois pommes
LATIN: Pomum---> Tres poma
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 9:02:29 PM
"We need to remove this man's leg."

vs

"We need to remove this man's legs."

Sometimes the s matters.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 11:28:26 PM
At 5/5/2013 2:05:38 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Asking for fun ;D

Every language has silly rules which don't make sense, and are just part of a culturally reinforced linguistic order. The French have masculine and feminine nouns, for example. Japanese has many different conjugation schemes for varying levels of formality. Latin has its convoluted verb conjugation on top of many other things.

well I can understand the japanese linguistic formality though, I also have that in my language and failing to use it can feel very strange or even offensive in some case.

It feel like you are using the word f_ck every time you say in non-formality content so forgot to remove it when saying something formal can be clearly rude.