Jump to topic:

Omnipotent in a sentence?

Karnakunreal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:08:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
While at work a friend of mine was talking about a really nice steak he had eaten recently. I think trying to sound more intelligent than he is he said that the steak was fantastic in fact I would say it was omnipotent. This to my surprise started a bit of a debate as some people said that you can't say a steak is omnipotent as it means a totally different thing. He said by saying this he meant the steak was that good that he thought it was godlike and that is what omnipotent means. The debate ended up getting quite heated but in the end there was no outcome to who was right or wrong. I looked at some information and a synonym of omnipotent is godlike. Can what he said about his steak be said? Or is it grammatically incorrect? I know the subject isn't intellectually challenging but I would like to know just so I can sort out this debate at work
Karnakunreal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 2:30:47 PM
So really what he should of said was that the steak was godlike and not try to sound clever by using a word that has a similar meaning but not the correct meaning ?
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 4:13:20 PM
"Omnipotent" means unlimited power lol. "Omniscience" is also god-like, but you wouldn't describe your steak as "all knowing".
yang.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 4:35:31 PM
At 5/12/2013 2:30:47 PM, Karnakunreal wrote:
So really what he should of said was that the steak was godlike and not try to sound clever by using a word that has a similar meaning but not the correct meaning ?

You can't call a steak godlike either. Just tell your friend that the correct way to praise a sandwich is to call it delicious.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...