Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Critics Corner -- Episode I: A New Hope

RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 3:57:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Whoo! It's here! Yet another DDO web-series! I know, I know, just what you guys were looking for =3

In this show, I showcase and review debates done on DDO. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're cancer. Which will it be today? Watch the video to find out!

I know debates aren't always as juicy of a topic as drama, so I've done my best to spice things up with jokes and a kick-a$$ soundtrack.

This is my first time trying something like this, so all feedback is welcome!

Enjoy!

==Caption Finder Contest==

The first person to list all the transition pics used in this video wins the *Caption Finder of the Week* title, which gets you a shout-out on the show and is redeemable for one 0-point vote-bomb in your favour on a debate of your choosing!

(if the show takes off, I may even put together an actual prize for winning this XD)

==Debates==

Don't forget to check out the debate(s) showcased! The debaters put a lot of work into them and my overview leaves out a lot of the good stuff! =D

1: That we should pay people to donate blood
http://www.debate.org...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:21:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Still in the process of watching the first episode (hooray for shitty internet), but am definitely liking it so far. Of all the web-serials that have premiered so far, I can't believe this one didn't already exist. I was just thinking the other day if I were to start one, I'd do one just like this, one about showcasing the best debates on DDO. (The first "D" in "DDO" stands for "Debate" not "Drama" after all...)

But, I don't think I'd have the time to do it, so I'm very glad you're doing it and from what I see so far, you're doing it well. Keep it up!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:25:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just watched the first 10 seconds, and I can tell I'm going to like it.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:28:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 4:21:07 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Still in the process of watching the first episode (hooray for shitty internet), but am definitely liking it so far. Of all the web-serials that have premiered so far, I can't believe this one didn't already exist. I was just thinking the other day if I were to start one, I'd do one just like this, one about showcasing the best debates on DDO. (The first "D" in "DDO" stands for "Debate" not "Drama" after all...)

But, I don't think I'd have the time to do it, so I'm very glad you're doing it and from what I see so far, you're doing it well. Keep it up!

Thanks! Time has been a bit of an issue for me too. As you can see from my window, most of this was filmed in the middle of the night.

Hopefully the more I do it, the more efficient I'll become at making these. =)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:28:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 4:25:05 AM, muzebreak wrote:
I just watched the first 10 seconds, and I can tell I'm going to like it.

<3
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 4:41:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Okay, just finished both videos. Easily my favorite DDO web-serial.

My only criticisms are that some of the text went by way too fast, like the hidden text (but maybe that was the point with those) and the points on the five scoring categories at the end. I feel like they should have stayed on the screen while you calculated the total.

Also, I don't think any graphics are necessary for segues but that's probably a controversial opinion. Besides those very minor things, I loved it; again, it's my favorite DDO web-serial out there. (Oh, and you have a pretty sexy voice.)
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 5:15:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Alright, got distracted after I finished watching them. I found it quite good. Not sure if I would rate it better than DDO news, or the Weekly Stupid. But that's because I found their material more interesting, to be fair I found the debate subject a little outside my range of interests. You have a good personality for this, and you seem fun and cheery. I found the rating system interesting, and the made up words were fun. I thought the flashing transitional images to be a good addition. All together, a great viewing experience. I'll definitely watch any more that you put up.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 7:19:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I respect how you put in the disclaimer not to use the show as a shortcut to debating on votes. Props for thinking about that ahead of time.

PS. Glad to see you have a shirt on ;D
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 8:52:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I liked it, I think it's a great idea. My only criticism would be your numbering system. As I understand it, originality is scored as 1 for high originality and 10 for low oroginality? But the rest of the scoring is done as 1-low and 10-high? They should all be scored the same way to make it less confusing :)
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 9:08:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would suggest 1-low, 10-high for all of them, so the debates with the higher scores are "better" in your opinion.
yang.
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:13:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Number 4 we have entertainitality, how entertaining is the debate to read? Is it fun to read through? This is also ranked on a score of 1 to ten, once again number one ia mouthwashes debate with Danielle, and number 10 is pretty much anything that imabench has done ever"

Aww you <3333
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:14:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ryuu I think you just made yourself the Roger Ebert of DDO ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:30:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Good god, it's a never ending cycle of web series!
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:04:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 4:41:51 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Okay, just finished both videos. Easily my favorite DDO web-serial.

My only criticisms are that some of the text went by way too fast, like the hidden text (but maybe that was the point with those) and the points on the five scoring categories at the end. I feel like they should have stayed on the screen while you calculated the total.

Also, I don't think any graphics are necessary for segues but that's probably a controversial opinion. Besides those very minor things, I loved it; again, it's my favorite DDO web-serial out there. (Oh, and you have a pretty sexy voice.)

Thanks for the feedback! Believe me, I wanted to keep the scores on the screen while the total is calculated, but with WMM I can only have one caption on at a time (unless there's a way I haven't figured out yet). =/
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:07:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 5:15:18 AM, muzebreak wrote:
Alright, got distracted after I finished watching them. I found it quite good. Not sure if I would rate it better than DDO news, or the Weekly Stupid. But that's because I found their material more interesting, to be fair I found the debate subject a little outside my range of interests. You have a good personality for this, and you seem fun and cheery. I found the rating system interesting, and the made up words were fun. I thought the flashing transitional images to be a good addition. All together, a great viewing experience. I'll definitely watch any more that you put up.

Thanks!

I figured not everybody will think blood-banks is a super exciting topic, but you can send me a link to your favourite debate and I'll do my best to get it in one of the next episodes =D
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:08:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 10:14:34 AM, imabench wrote:
Ryuu I think you just made yourself the Roger Ebert of DDO ;D

http://www.usmagazine.com...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:09:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 9:08:37 AM, Smithereens wrote:
You should be in a better corner to make your title more consistent. I like your glasses.

You just solved one of my problem for me.

Thank you =)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:44:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 7:19:43 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I respect how you put in the disclaimer not to use the show as a shortcut to debating on votes. Props for thinking about that ahead of time.

PS. Glad to see you have a shirt on ;D

Thanks! I figured it was pretty obvious not to do that for you vets, but the new guys coming in might not know any better, so better safe than sorry.

Also,

Shirts are over-rated!
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 6:25:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Good episode, great series. Good debate between Yraelz and Larz too.

I'll be an avid watcher.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 6:54:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Caption Finder Thingy:

1. Samurai guy

http://www.debate.org...

2. Bear Hands pic

http://www.debate.org...

3. Happy face eats a world

http://www.debate.org...

4. Smurf Baby

http://www.debate.org...

5. live slow, die whenever

http://www.debate.org...

6. Nobody knows your a dog

http://www.debate.org...

7. Floats your goat

http://www.debate.org...

8. Spy guy

http://www.debate.org...

9. Cat riding a unicorn

http://www.debate.org...

10. Cat with marshmellows

http://www.debate.org...

11. Helping a customer

http://www.debate.org...

12. Dog balancing applesauce

http://www.debate.org...

13. Krillin meme

http://www.debate.org...

14. Tophat bear

http://www.debate.org...

15. Obama meme

http://www.debate.org...

16. bearsharksquid

http://www.debate.org...

17. letter to batman from robin

http://www.debate.org...

18. Sloth faces

http://www.debate.org...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 7:22:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 6:54:59 PM, TUF wrote:
Easy.

Wow! I didn't think someone would get it this quickly!

You win! =D
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 7:41:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 7:22:15 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 5/24/2013 6:54:59 PM, TUF wrote:
Easy.

Wow! I didn't think someone would get it this quickly!

You win! =D
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 11:36:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 10:23:06 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
In the follow-up, you did an excellent job indirectly pointing out that my show covers absolutely nothing :3

Hehe

Well, look at the bright side. That makes you the Seinfeld of DDO serials.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 11:46:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Very nice work. I enjoyed watching this.

I look forward to the next episode and seeing how the series evolves.
Debate.org Moderator
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 11:50:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A fantastic show to brew up interest in debates. I disagree that commenting on the arguments themselves is "bad" in any way. It would basically be an RFD in video form as opposed to written form. Nothing wrong with written RFD's; video RFD's are no different.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 12:51:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/24/2013 11:50:06 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
A fantastic show to brew up interest in debates. I disagree that commenting on the arguments themselves is "bad" in any way. It would basically be an RFD in video form as opposed to written form. Nothing wrong with written RFD's; video RFD's are no different.

I would maybe consider it for debates that are based around topics I know a lot about and are also post-voting period, but I know that if I were to do it for just any debate, then eventually someone will, rightly or wrongly, blame me for them losing a debate.

Votes shouldn't be based on other RFD's or things said in the forums (outside of things like CVB requests), so for me to give a forum RFD, then tell people to go check out and vote on the debate sends a pretty sketchy message. Almost like I'd be trying to control who wins debates.

I'd like to think that no one would vote on a debate based on my opinion on who deserves the win, but it's not something I'd like to provide the opportunity to be proven wrong about either.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.