Jump to topic:

tech/gaming help

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:42:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
so i have one terabyte on my solid state drive. and i want to allocate like 1/8 of that to my minecraft game. does anyone know the coding to do so. like in a .txt document
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:24:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Minecraft is limited to a certain amount of RAM.

What I do is if you open the Task Manager, tab over to processes, find the minecraft process which should be like java.exe or something like that. It'll be near the top because Minecraft uses a lot of memory. Right click it, go down to "Set Priority" and then you can change it to High or Realtime, which will allocate more memory to that program than usual.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:26:32 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:24:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

What I do is if you open the Task Manager, tab over to processes, find the minecraft process which should be like java.exe or something like that. It'll be near the top because Minecraft uses a lot of memory. Right click it, go down to "Set Priority" and then you can change it to High or Realtime, which will allocate more memory to that program than usual.

where is task manager
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:28:38 PM
You have a 1tb solid state drive? Aren't you like 15? What do you need a 1tb ssd for, and how the hell did you afford it?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:30:41 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:26:32 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

where is task manager

Depending on your operating system, you should be able to press ctrl-alt-delete and get the option to open it. If you run linux, then I'm not sure.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:33:06 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:28:38 PM, muzebreak wrote:
You have a 1tb solid state drive? Aren't you like 15? What do you need a 1tb ssd for, and how the hell did you afford it?

1. yes i do
2. yes i am
3. well i have borderlands 2 starcraft 2 and other games on it, planning on getting crysis 3 and other games.
4. i don't buy alien ware dumb@ss. i go on to pc part picker and i saved up for parts to build a high en gaming computer.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:47:30 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:33:06 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

1. yes i do
2. yes i am
3. well i have borderlands 2 starcraft 2 and other games on it, planning on getting crysis 3 and other games.
4. i don't buy alien ware dumb@ss. i go on to pc part picker and i saved up for parts to build a high en gaming computer.

A) Alienware is not as badly priced as people represent it as being.
B) The cheapest ssd's go for at least $0.60 a GB, which means you paid at least $600 for your ssd, and that's assuming you got it in the past couple months. If you didn't it probably cost you around $1000. That is a large amount of money for a 15 year old to be throwing around on unnecessary parts. I could build an entire gaming rig that would run the games you mentioned for the price you payed for that ssd.

And, after checking out pcpricepickr.com, it seems they don't even sell the cheapest ssd on the market. So you probably payed around a thousand bucks. Why'd you shell out that much, for space you probably wont even use?

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:53:00 PM

I don't know if it is limited to how much ram it could use, but there is a point where it doesn't matter. Minecraft usually runs with about 2gb in use, at the settings I run. Which are fairly low. At the highest settings, it probably used 2.5-3gb. It wont use more, because it doesn't need to. Allocating an eigth of a terabyte, or 125gb, to any one game, for use as ram, is ridiculous. You just don't need that much.

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:55:48 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:47:30 PM, muzebreak wrote:

1. yes i do
2. yes i am

B) The cheapest ssd's go for at least $0.60 a GB, which means you paid at least $600 for your ssd, and that's assuming you got it in the past couple months. If you didn't it probably cost you around $1000. That is a large amount of money for a 15 year old to be throwing around on unnecessary parts. I could build an entire gaming rig that would run the games you mentioned for the price you payed for that ssd.

And, after checking out pcpricepickr.com, it seems they don't even sell the cheapest ssd on the market. So you probably payed around a thousand bucks. Why'd you shell out that much, for space you probably wont even use?

i definitely payed for a lot less than that
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:56:58 PM
so i might be thinking of somewhere different
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:00:31 PM
At 5/27/2013 6:55:48 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 5/27/2013 6:47:30 PM, muzebreak wrote:

1. yes i do
2. yes i am

i definitely payed for a lot less than that

Alot less than what? $1000, or $600? Because there doesn't exist a ssd, that costs less than $600.

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:01:04 PM
You don't allocate your SSD to minecraft, apart from the game and save files. Look on minecraft forums as to how allocate more ram to the game.

And yeah, a 1TB SSD is worthless, you should have gone with something like 1/4 of the storage space and use the saved money onto another graphics card.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:05:21 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:01:04 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
You don't allocate your SSD to minecraft, apart from the game and save files. Look on minecraft forums as to how allocate more ram to the game.

And yeah, a 1TB SSD is worthless, you should have gone with something like 1/4 of the storage space and use the saved money onto another graphics card.

trust me it is not worthless
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:08:31 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:05:21 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Nah, a 256gb SSD will give the same benefits, apart from the two minutes it takes to move your game from your HDD to your SDD, if you decide to play it again. Then again, the HDD will do just fine. 90% of what the SSD's benefit is making the whole OS thing faster. Boot up and such. Unless you are moving large directories of data regularly every day, a 256gb SSD plus a tb HDD will do the job just fine.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:09:02 PM

I believe you can allocate ram to specific programs, and an ssd can be used as ram. After looking into it, using 125gb of an ssd as ram, isn't actually unreasonable. That being, because an ssd runs at a much slower rate than ram. But you're just better off getting more ram, or a better graphics card.

Exactly.

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:10:05 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:08:31 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Nah, a 256gb SSD will give the same benefits, apart from the two minutes it takes to move your game from your HDD to your SDD, if you decide to play it again. Then again, the HDD will do just fine. 90% of what the SSD's benefit is making the whole OS thing faster. Boot up and such. Unless you are moving large directories of data regularly every day, a 256gb SSD plus a tb HDD will do the job just fine.

did you happen to pay attention to the fact that i built this computer and just to throw in that i re downloaded everything
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:11:36 PM

Even if that were the case, you'd then be better off with tape memory.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:11:45 PM
A 1TB SSD? Are you sure that you don't have an HDD?

What do you mean by "allocate like 1/8 of that to my minecraft game"? SSD's are for storage. Are you talking about RAM? If so, you can set a higher usage limit for Java.

http://empireminecraft.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:12:46 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:11:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

What do you mean by "allocate like 1/8 of that to my minecraft game"? SSD's are for storage. Are you talking about RAM? If so, you can set a higher usage limit for Java.

i am very very confused right now but yes i have a 1 TB SSD
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:13:43 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:10:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

did you happen to pay attention to the fact that i built this computer and just to throw in that i re downloaded everything

That doesn't justify having a 1tb hard drive. That's pure extravagance. I mean, I regularly download games and movies, but I'v never used more than 400gb of memory, not including back-ups.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:15:43 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:12:46 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I'm curious, what are the specs of your computer?

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:17:28 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:15:43 PM, muzebreak wrote:

it might be because i am sitting in a very hot room but my brain is not focusing that well
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:18:39 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:17:28 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

it might be because i am sitting in a very hot room but my brain is not focusing that well

What?

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:19:12 PM

Post what components make up your computer.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:19:17 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:18:39 PM, muzebreak wrote:

What?

i am not really remembering how to work computers at the moment
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:28:02 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:19:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

thats going to be harder to find out than i thought it would
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:29:46 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:28:02 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 5/27/2013 7:19:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

thats going to be harder to find out than i thought it would

Download this program.

http://www.techspot.com...

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:36:38 PM
there is a lot of things where next to it it says unknown. for instance the motherboard id and name are unknown
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:41:00 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:36:38 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
there is a lot of things where next to it it says unknown. for instance the motherboard id and name are unknown

Sorry, wrong one.

http://www.piriform.com...

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:43:49 PM
ok so i was mistaken here is the front page of what comes up